Toured FNH Factory Today - Awesome

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I was able to get a tour of the FN factory today! We walked the entire production line of pistols, rifles, and machine guns from receiver blanks to shipping.

What was really amazing was the quality control and multiple inspection points for each part group. I have never been in another firearm factory so not sure if normal, but all the different quality checks were pretty impressive. I was sorely tempted to pick one up at their on site pro shop. They have a double wide trailer behind the factory that sells all their "Blem" weapons. To be honest, I looked at quite a few pistols and rifles and couldn't see a single defect, but the pricing was definitely for blemished product.

I met one of the two gunsmiths that are in the FN customer service; very nice guy and seems capable. He was working on an FNS9 at the time so I didn't chat for long. Of all the machinists and security guys I spoke with, They were all Extremely proud of their jobs and were ecstatic to tell me what they did: the woman who rifles and finishes the AR15 barrels (including spikes barrels) has been working on the production line for 20 years. She very likely has made my current spikes barrel. For some reason, this made me feel a particular bond with her and I stayed long enough that I felt bad for holding up her line.

We saw a huge number of M4's, 249's, and 240B's (no finished MK19's but lots of receivers in different stages of production). I had never seen any 240B's with wood stocks before; they were definitely cool looking. It was like a candy store of guns. Also, the 249S is a pretty interesting "rifle". I am still not sure what it is for, but it is cool looking if you have the desire. I wasn't allowed any photos, unfortunately, and the really cool processes are trade secret specific, but I am a MUCH more educated shooter for the experience.

I've never owned an FN pistol, but after seeing the factory I am seriously considering purchasing one.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    very cool!

Any pics or vids?

Unfortunately not, I had to sign a big NDA form and the security guy who took me around was Very specific about no pictures. Apparently they had a problem with a tour last year or so and now they watch anyone they take in like hawks. That didn't keep the machinists from discussing their upcoming products though. My guide was uncomfortable with that so we moved on pretty quickly. I resisted the urge to ask a million questions about the new stuff lol.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    That's pretty awesome! Are tours a regular thing there or is it a VIP type situation

I'm not sure I qualified as a VIP; I didn't meet anyone higher than management level. They have a defined tour process so while I was the only one, it's obvious they do invite people on a regular basis. I was accompanied at all times by an armed security guard in tactical armor, and while he was one of the most friendly professional guys I met, I can't shake the feeling that half his job was give me the tour, and the other half was to throw me on the ground and cuff me if I tried to wander off.

Top Bottom