Tow-haul transmission c1500 chev question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Can anyone tell me exactly what the tow-haul button on the shift selector on a 2002 chevy silverado causes the transmission to do when it is selected?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    gives you more rum rum for pulling hahahahahhaa,

what both of the guys above said, by changing the shift parameters it holds the gear just a few seconds longer focusing mostly on torque and not so much speed, usually mostly needed when taking off.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It's designed to keep the transmission from "searching" when the load gets heavy. Before these were normal, if you were hauling a big boat in 84 Chevrolet with a 4 speed auto, the truck might bounce back and fourth between gears 3 and 4. The solution was to drop it back into 3rd (effectively making it like a Turbo 350) and drive with it like that.

It's a good thing to use when you load your truck down with a heavy load. It'll make your transmission last longer.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    How detailed do you want? I can shoot you the tune file if you've got efi live.

NO TC lockup out of OD
    NO OD until 59MPH
    Increased line pressure
    Allows for Free-revving
    Holds the gears to keep the RPM in powerband

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    If you have a 4L60E transmission,pay attention. If you tow much weight with your vehicle, DO NOT tow in overdrive and push the tow haul button. It's the gonna save your ass a whole bunch of money option. The overdrive is weak on these transmissions and will strip eventually. It will fail much sooner if you tow.
    The button does not keep it out of overdrive, only the shifter position.
    I have seen units fail well under 100K. Just got back from trailering two motorcycles behind an Siverado. Made it to CO and on the way back we got to spend some extra time in Amarillo because of the sudden loss of our transmision. What a PITA it was.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Read boss302 and paddle007 above, that says it all.
    If you tow big loads on anything but flat,level highway, do NOT use overdrive- no matter the vehicle.

I am sure some allison guys will chime in here and that is almost the only exception I can think of.
    Reminds me of my dad with his 7.3/ 4l60e that he went thru 4 factory transmissions in 100k because "It wont go over 70 unless it is in overdrive (with 8k-12k loads)". He sold it with trans #5 acting up at 130k. He was also too cheap to shell out 2000 or more on a quality trans, at least the first 4 were warranty covered.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    If you're towing over 600-700 lbs, probably best to keep it out of overdrive with the shift lever and engage the towing button which will better modulate your transmission better under load. Light stuff like a jon boat, motor and trailer I don't worry about the button, but do run with the modulator in city traffic no matter what the load.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    If you're towing over 600-700 lbs, probably best to keep it out of overdrive with the shift lever and engage the towing button which will better modulate your transmission better under load. Light stuff like a jon boat, motor and trailer I don't worry about the button, but do run with the modulator in city traffic no matter what the load.

You recommend using the button in city driving even when not towing?

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Not necessary, I suppose, but sometimes in stop and go traffic or rough road conditions I use it when not towing. The other day I was on a really, really rough road in the Sabine River Bottom and clicked it on. Holds your ground speed under down and eliminates that shifting surge between potholes. Didn't see hog sign one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom