Town of Abita Springs is Talking Weapons

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Douchebaggery? His civil rights were violated. He sued and won. Who among you would not have done the same? GPD has a habit of violating people's rights.

Three+ years ago my future Son in Law was stopped at a red light in Gonzales. GPD rammed him from behind, broke his neck and totaled his vehicle. He was a plant worker and can no longer work at his trade. GPD refuses to settle and is fighting him in court.

As a whole, MEM is full of douchebaggery.

Don't turn this into an anti-LE thread.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    If Abita passes this I propose advertising in the paper. Attention criminals, law abiding citizens at the Abita Campus/Trailhead can no longer posses a firearm. Come on over and help yourself.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    If Abita passes this I propose advertising in the paper. Attention criminals, law abiding citizens at the Abita Campus/Trailhead can no longer posses a firearm. Come on over and help yourself.
    No one reads the paper anymore. What makes you think that criminals do?

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Don't turn this into an anti-LE thread.

I am not anti-LE, quite the opposite. I am, however, anti JBT. You wear the uniform, you enforce the law. You don't get to make up your own version of the law. That's all I have to say about it.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I am not anti-LE, quite the opposite. I am, however, anti JBT. You wear the uniform, you enforce the law. You don't get to make up your own version of the law. That's all I have to say about it.

Relating to the topic at hand, what MEM was doing was legal, but he did what we advocate not to do... act like an *******.

The whole situation may have been resolved if MEM would have went about his business, but he chose to "educate" the officer.

Do as you wish, but don't scream JBT when you get your jaw broken for being a dick.

If we're going to fight this Abita Township nonsense, it needs to be professional. Pointing at the alderman and saying he/she is an idiot, is not how things get done.

Last edited:

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Feb 6 2018 Meeting

I've been spreading this around. My kids principal took the older kids (7th-8th graders) to the town hall meeting this evening regarding this. I just thought that was pretty cool, even though we don't live around abita.

The Feb 6 committee minutes are available. Below is from the minutes. The complete document is attached.

View attachment AbitaFeb2018TownCouncilMins.pdf (I named the file wrong. It's not the town council minutes. It's the Public Committee minutes.)

Alderman Berrigan opened a discussion of firearms on town property. Mayor Lemons asked Chairman Berrigan for permission to comment on the topic. The Chairman yielded to the Mayor. The Mayor stated that he has not commented nor has he been privy to all of the meetings regarding the subject of firearm possession. He expressed his position that he does not support an ordinance to restrict the right to keep and bear arms. The Mayor communicated his opinion relative to state law regarding the prohibition on the carry of firearms within 1000 feet of a school, the concealed carry law, and the preemption law which does not allow local governing authorities to enact laws more restrictive than state law. Mayor Lemons strongly discouraged any effort to enact a law to limit firearms on the town property adding that he is unclear as to *what needs to be fixed.* Alderman Curtis referenced efforts to get an opinion from the Louisiana Attorney General. Alderman Murphy voiced his understanding of intent, that being the administration’s responsibility or liability for actions of those employed by the town. The Alderman went on to state that it is not the intent of the Board to take away anyone’s rights. Clarifying discussion of a proposed ordinance, Alderman Curtis explained that no ordinance has yet been proposed, adding that he and Town Attorney Edward Deano have been working to draft language for an ordinance. Mayor Pro Tem Kilpatrick-Harper addressed meeting visitors. The Mayor Pro Tem presented her observations related to the Farmer’s Market, the scope of the Board’s qualifications, and how and to what extent the Aldermen participate in town governance. Further explanation involved discussion among the Mayor, the Board, the Town Attorney and the Farmer’s Market Manager as to who has and has not received a copy of the draft ordinance. Aldermen Berrigan, Kilpatrick-Harper, Murphy, and Blitch Welliver advised that they were not in possession of the document. The Aldermen requested that the document be made available to them. Public comment included the following: condemnation of *inhumane* facebook posts, the lack of cooperation and dysfunction of town government, interpretation of state law, the need for independent contractors to be self-insured, the town’s liability for acts of those under their employ, and a need to consider the safety and well-being of all who use the park.

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    The Feb 6 committee minutes are available. Below is from the minutes. The complete document is attached.

View attachment 76569 (I named the file wrong. It's not the town council minutes. It's the Public Committee minutes.)

Alderman Berrigan opened a discussion of firearms on town property. Mayor Lemons asked Chairman Berrigan for permission to comment on the topic. The Chairman yielded to the Mayor. The Mayor stated that he has not commented nor has he been privy to all of the meetings regarding the subject of firearm possession. He expressed his position that he does not support an ordinance to restrict the right to keep and bear arms. The Mayor communicated his opinion relative to state law regarding the prohibition on the carry of firearms within 1000 feet of a school, the concealed carry law, and the preemption law which does not allow local governing authorities to enact laws more restrictive than state law. Mayor Lemons strongly discouraged any effort to enact a law to limit firearms on the town property adding that he is unclear as to *what needs to be fixed.* Alderman Curtis referenced efforts to get an opinion from the Louisiana Attorney General. Alderman Murphy voiced his understanding of intent, that being the administration’s responsibility or liability for actions of those employed by the town. The Alderman went on to state that it is not the intent of the Board to take away anyone’s rights. Clarifying discussion of a proposed ordinance, Alderman Curtis explained that no ordinance has yet been proposed, adding that he and Town Attorney Edward Deano have been working to draft language for an ordinance. Mayor Pro Tem Kilpatrick-Harper addressed meeting visitors. The Mayor Pro Tem presented her observations related to the Farmer’s Market, the scope of the Board’s qualifications, and how and to what extent the Aldermen participate in town governance. Further explanation involved discussion among the Mayor, the Board, the Town Attorney and the Farmer’s Market Manager as to who has and has not received a copy of the draft ordinance. Aldermen Berrigan, Kilpatrick-Harper, Murphy, and Blitch Welliver advised that they were not in possession of the document. The Aldermen requested that the document be made available to them. Public comment included the following: condemnation of *inhumane* facebook posts, the lack of cooperation and dysfunction of town government, interpretation of state law, the need for independent contractors to be self-insured, the town’s liability for acts of those under their employ, and a need to consider the safety and well-being of all who use the park.

The irony of that whole meeting is that you are prohibited from carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school unless you were on private property. That basically puts you beyond everything in town.

Top Bottom