Traeger Grill

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    More of a UDS kind of crowd, $$$ is for the guns.

BGE's are awesome though, I just can't justify the cost when my UDS works so well.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Have used gas, including a Weber, for @ 20 yrs. Got a BGE @ 4 months ago, won't go back...
    Probably one of the best investments that I've ever made in 20 yrs.
    Pork roast at 220 for 8 hrs, 2" ribeyes @ 800...bizcuits, cookies, pizzas, quesadias, round steak in a black cast iron pot...
    Can pretty much do it all....

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    If you really want an EGG, you should look at the Chargriller Akorn Komado at Lowes. I bought one, and it will do everything an EGG will do but for only $300. I also have a UDS and a Masterbuilt cabinet smoker and a Holland gas grill. The Akorn gets most of my attention these days.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Back to the original question. Tregers are nice units but you are going to be limited on only burning pellets for fuel. Something to think about.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I have a Traeger and it's very nice but, if you're going to have only one grill......
    Before commoting to a BGE go to the pool supply store on 25 just north of Covington and check out the Primo Oval XL. Better concept! Let us know what you think.
    I have a Primo Jr Oval and love it. The oval design works better.

Also if you want a Kamado, round and less $$, Check out the Big Steel Keg. Steel version comparable to BGE, transportable on a trailer hitch and vertually unbreakable.
    http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The Big Steel Keg is awesome!!!

Also if you want a Kamado, round and less $$, Check out the Big Steel Keg. Steel version comparable to BGE, transportable on a trailer hitch and vertually unbreakable.
    http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

+100000 on the Big Steel Keg...this thing is one of the best investments I have ever made...in fact, I sold my BGE two weeks after getting the Keg. The Chargriller Acorn mentioned above is not quite as nice, but is still a great value...look hard at these kinds of kamado cookers, they can do everything a vertical smoker can do and much more!

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Well i must be in the minority. I've used my brothers BGE twice and will never, ever use one again. That was the most finicky piece of sh** ever. Temperature uncontrolleable, and irritated me to no end that the grill was below the edge so stuff near the edge, you gotta come in from the side to get under it with spatula. Hate hate hate hate that thing. Someone told me that it takes practice. Well I won't be getting any lol. I'll keep my Ducane for grilling. And I want to build a UDS but ain't had time to do it yet.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the definition....I guess I'm in that category. I have a New Braunfels Hondo for my smoking and use a grill that could pass for the Hondo smoke chamber. I've had my Hondo for 13 years now and still works for me. I've never tried the BGE or Kamado grills but really can't justify the cost of those things.. Hell, I'd be afraid of somebody stealing or knocking it over or something..My little bro just got one and haven't gotten a report on it (BGE). Keep on grillin' and smokin' my bruddahs and sistahs!! Happy 4th to all!

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Well i must be in the minority. I've used my brothers BGE twice and will never, ever use one again. That was the most finicky piece of sh** ever. Temperature uncontrolleable, and irritated me to no end that the grill was below the edge so stuff near the edge, you gotta come in from the side to get under it with spatula. Hate hate hate hate that thing. Someone told me that it takes practice. Well I won't be getting any lol. I'll keep my Ducane for grilling. And I want to build a UDS but ain't had time to do it yet.

That's one of the reasons I have and love my Primo ceramic grill. I got a couple of pics of some burgers(juicy Lucy's in fact)I did today and the grate is easy to get to and actually right above the rim of the lower half.
    Now don't get me wrong, I love grilling and appreciate any and all grills that you can cook outdoors on. I do love 'em all and I'd even cook o a hot rock if that's all I had to cook outdoors with. I do have several different grills and smokers and love them!

zero_one

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Abita Springs
    Looks like im gonna go with a BGE, gonna be able to get one at cost.
    For me the Traeger is alot easier (plug it in and put your pellets and your done) than a BGE just dont know how it would hold up in louisiana(rust).
    And the BGE is ceramic so it should be more carefree, however a little more work has to be done for initial startup and to maintain the temp etc.

Thanks for all the input!

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

Better late than never. On a Primo ceramic grill the grate sits up high enough for easy access to the grill for flipping meats.
    July4th2012020.jpg

Top Bottom