Traffic camera = tow your car?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    My buddy got a traffic camera ticket in New Orleans and ignored it. He just got a letter from the program saying they've determined his vehicle is eligible to be booted or towed. Does anyone know if they'll actually do this? Also, how does it work? Do the meter readers jut keep an eye out for your tag, or does it mean if NOPD pulls yo over, they'll tow your car?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    What I don't understand is (if it is the same in new Orleans as it is in baton rouge) that the photo tickets are issued through and outside company. Not actually a police ticket, and the ticket never shows up on your police or traffic record. If you don't pay it, it hurts your credit score, but there are no other legal consequences. How can they say they can tow your car?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Do they have a proper appeals process in New Orleans? The Baton Rouge appeal process is utter bs.

does not compute

It is BS like everything else. Unless you write an affadavit that it was not you and provide the nae of who was driving, you are pretty much screwed. Unless of course they got the plate wrong and it truly is not your vehicle.

All the ones I got were me and I paid them......except for the one Narco got in my truck. :mad:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Hmmm, maybe if he paid the ticket it would all go away.

Where is the information coming from that these tickets do not count, do not show up on your record, etc.
    I've always heard they are the same as any other ticket and it will show up on your record.
    I guess they just tow or boot your car if found and not arrest you on a bench warrant for failing to pay traffic fines.

Last edited:

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My brother is the City Prosecutor in Zachery. He says that if you do dispute the ticket then they just throw it out of Court. The reason behind this is that the findings from the traffic camera system have no judgment in circumstances unlike an officer.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Hmmm, maybe if he paid the ticket it would all go away.

Where is the information coming from that these tickets do not count, do not show up on your record, etc.
    I've always heard they are the same as any other ticket and it will show up on your record.
    I guess they just tow or boot your car if found and not arrest you on a bench warrant for failing to pay traffic fines.

Ive heard it from people in the department talking about it. Its because (ive never gotten one, just heard from people who have) that the fine is paid directly to the private company that installs/monitors the cameras.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ive heard it from people in the department talking about it. Its because (ive never gotten one, just heard from people who have) that the fine is paid directly to the private company that installs/monitors the cameras.

The fine is paid directly to the company that owns the contract. The contracted company then pays the city or municipal agency a dividend or a percent of the total at the end of the fiscal period.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Its only a civil issue. Not police traffic/criminal

From the baton rouge government website:

http://brgov.com/RedLight/faq.htm

What happens if I ignore the Notice of Violation?

Failure to pay the civil penalty or to contest liability prior to the due date of the Notice of Violation is an admission of liability, and failure to appear at the Administrative Adjudication Hearing after having requested a hearing is an admission of liability and constitutes a waiver of the right to appeal. Failure to pay the civil penalty by the due date shall result in the imposition of a late-payment fee of $35. for payments between 1-59 days past the due date and $50. for payments greater than 60 days past due. If the second notice remains unpaid, collections proceedings and entry of a judgment against you may proceed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ehatger1456
    Top Bottom