Traffic Stop on CC Permittee (Almost goes haywire)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    Why didn't he tell the cop he was carrying a concealed firearm?

Because then the cop would have gone off the same way. Telling a cop "I have a gun" is not always the best way to go about it. He should have handed the officer his license AND permit right away - before the cop even asked - at the same time (permit on top) and said "I am a CCW permit holder and I am currently armed." This would be the best way to not cause a stir.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    First thing that is asked when I get pulled over is "Do you have any weapons on you I need to know about?"

It's been a long time, but the last one I got was "Do you have any weapons on you or anything else I should know about."

I thought that was a great catch all. That's why I remember it after a decade.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Because then the cop would have gone off the same way. Telling a cop "I have a gun" is not always the best way to go about it. He should have handed the officer his license AND permit right away - before the cop even asked - at the same time (permit on top) and said "I am a CCW permit holder and I am currently armed." This would be the best way to not cause a stir.

I tell all my students, and I expect anyone I pull over, that the very first words out of their mouths need to be:
    "Good evening, I am a concealed handgun permit holder and am carrying. He's my license and permit."

Talk over the officer if you have to, they'll be cool with it once it registers what you've said.

The ones that follow the rules have zero trouble with me. If I have to ask about it I get unhappy.

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    Cop "I don't care if you have a permit or not". There's the problem. Unfortunately I'll bet many LEO's feel the same way.

Like I said in my last post. This guy (if he is smart and has a lawyer) is gonna get a nice big settlement from the state of FL. The cop threatened to shoot him in the back. Come on... that was not called for and IMO should be cause for his dismissal ASAP. Then they arrest the guy and take him in for not being a criminal? Give me a break.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    According to what current FL law states, and the actions of the officer... officer was wrong.

On further note. I always exit my vehicle before the cop does. IF he asks me to get back in, I declare loud and clear when he gets to the rear bumper of my vehicle.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I also suggest IF you are stopped or are otherwise causing LEO to talk to you in a formal manner, NOT TO just blurt out you have a GUN, but say FOR YOUR SAFETY< you should know that there is a gun at or on my hip, armpit up my nose whatever.. The reason being, he may not hear right away that you are a permit holder, he is analyzing your eyes , and mannerisms for Prob cause for anything.. and or he may be in training and his partner may be listening to the mike and just hear I HAVE A GUN! then go shoot your happy ass.. SO choose your words wisely..

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Instead of paying people off after screwing up, why don't they spend that money hiring and training better officers?

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    As a former, born & raised resident of Florida, and as a current CWFL holder, I can tell you that there is NO brandishing law on the books in Florida. Florida law does say that your firearm "MUST" be concealed, but does not really address the issue if your firearm should become exposed. Generally, if you do expose and get caught exposing, LEOs will give a CWFL holder a ration of SH*T if they have to respond to a "Man with a gun" call.

I've had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with and befriend a number of Florida LEOs, and I can tell you that this YouTube Asshat LEO is the exception, and not the rule. No matter how much you try to filter out the undesirables, a few bad apples will still make their way into ANY organization...

Top Bottom