Trail Cams Vs Plot Cams

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have always used trail cams that only take pics when it senses movement. I went to Academy today to look for ammo and I saw that they had the Primo's DPS (Deer Positiong System) on clearance. They are normally $99.99 but they were on sale for $19.99 so I thought I would give them a try. Has anyone used these types of camera's? They take pics every 5/10 seconds and you run it through a program that lets you watch days of pics in 3 minutes. Only problem is that it only takes pics during the day so I will still need another camera to catch deer during the night but I figured at this price I will take the chance to see if I like them or not. Has anyone used the Primos DPS? Good or bad reviews?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No experience with this system; but as you say; for $20.00 you can't go wrong. Hell, even if it can only take pictures in the daytime, you can't hunt legally at night anyway.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    There is a knucklehead in our hunting club that goes on other peoples food plots and such. Maybe we can catch him with these. I would have bought more than 2 at that price but that's all they had. I tested in the back yard and I'm impressed with them.

mitter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Dont have any actual experience with these, but I did look into them last year. Found a lot of negative feedback on them. The biggest problem I can remember was with the SD card reader/writer corrupting the card and having to be constantly reformated. I was hoping they would have fixed the problems by now, but at that price I wonder if they just decided to scrap it all together.

Even with all the negative I read about, I probably would have pick one up at that price.

ChiefShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have played with most of the lower end cameras. I found that I consistently regretted not getting a Moultrie IR for a trail cam. Check Wal-Mart's online prices. I have found them to be the best. Usually 29% lower than Academy and they ship for .97 . I also found that Moultrie often runs incredible sales on their website.

I have a couple of the Moultrie PlotCams and found they are only useful in areas where I am trying to see what time of day the deer come out. The problem I routinely have is that I have to be careful with camera placement and shadows. Often shadows from the woods blocks out much of the view. With regard to the Primos camera, I have a Truth 35 and found it was not near as good as the Moultire D55IR and I35 series. However, I discoverd by accident one thing the Primos was extremely good at. During the day, it detects motion much farther away than the Moultrie.....at least 40-50 yards away. It is not picking up deer, but vehicles and people. I have starting using it to pick up trespassers and poachers on our property. Moutrie cameras do not have this range. Unfortunately, the Primos does not have the same range or picture qualifty for deer.

Top Bottom