Trailer License plate question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Ok, here is my predicament. I am down here temporary for work. All my my vehicles are registered back home in WI. I bought a small trailer to hall my atvs around on from here to there. In WI we do not have to plate trailers under 3k lbs (its optional) (http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/plateguide/heavy-truck.htm). This being the case, while the trailer is in LA, will I get in any trouble for this because I know all trailers must be plated down here.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    How long will you be down here? Is the vehicle your towing with regostered in WI.? Keep the bill of sale and.....danggit.....the paper they give you from the manuf. with the build info on it.....can't remember what they call it.
    Cops aren't real anal about trailer registration from my experience, but you never know.
    To save frustration in the future, I'd get it registered in your home state in case you decide to sell it later on. IMHO

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    How long will you be down here? Is the vehicle your towing with regostered in WI.? Keep the bill of sale and.....danggit.....the paper they give you from the manuf. with the build info on it.....can't remember what they call it.
    Cops aren't real anal about trailer registration from my experience, but you never know.
    To save frustration in the future, I'd get it registered in your home state in case you decide to sell it later on. IMHO

Could be gone next week, could be here another year, depends on contracts.
    The tow vehicle is registered in WI.

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    I've been pulling my 5x10 for 2 years without it being registered. Dumb, but just not gotten around to getting it done. I haul the atv and trash about once a month and I make sure all the lights are in working condition. I've talked to several cops and all of them said that if I was in an accident, they might be forced to write me a ticket, but as long as everything works, they look the other way. Most cops around here are happy that the trailer has all of it's wheels, lights and and a hitch. (I've actually seen them tied to the back bumper of vehicles). I see them everyday so overloaded that the trailer is bent and dragging the ground or rubbing the fenders if it has any.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Could be gone next week, could be here another year, depends on contracts.
    The tow vehicle is registered in WI.

If your only going to be here another week or two then I wouldn't worry about it.If you get pulled over just explain to the officer your situation.Besides you have 30 days after purchase to get any vehicle,including trailers,registered in the state of La.

Oh yea and do make sure your tail/brake lights work!

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Its really just a gamble. You could not register it and never have an issue. Or, you could meet the right (or wrong) law enforcement professional, and have big problems.

If you're still here in a month, to be on the safe side, I personally would. Again, its a gamble.

Top Bottom