Training for Warrior Dash... Couch to 5k

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Background: (boring stuff)

So about January 4th I started off at 282 lbs. Started a weight loss competition at work that after 4 weeks I stopped particpating. Somewhere between then and last month I was at 276. Fast forward some, I've been working on the demolition and rebuilding of my shed for the last 4 weeks and I stepped on the scale only to find I was down to 268 lbs. Shocked I was actually losing weight and clothes were starting to fit better. Figures though because I was eating less and working outside more. After bringing it up a few weeks ago I was inspired to get prepared for the Warrior Dash so I'm back in the gym and eating better.

Today is Day 1 of training. I've completed Day 1 of Couch to 5k. Which as you may know is a 3 day a week, 9 week interval training program to get you trained to jog/run a full 5k event. I figure I have about 20+ weeks to get ready for the Warrior Dash so Couch to 5k is a good stepping stone to get ready for it.

I'm going to use this thread to keep things current and up to date.

Good luck to anyone else training for Warrior Dash.

-CrkdLtr

willb5678

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Denham Springs
    No matter how hard you train, Warrior Dash is whole different monster. I ran it last year in knee deep mud and water. Lost my shoes about halfway thru, fell off multiple obstacles, but it was a blast. I'm definitely running again this year! Good luck bro.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Completed week 1 of C25k and now on week 2. Was taken by surprise when I saw the running time had gone up from 1 minute to 1:30 minute. But it did't make much difference. The increased time felt good. Except for that last run, started cramping on my right side. Hopefully this will go away after this week.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Except for that last run, started cramping on my right side. Hopefully this will go away after this week.

Don't fret, that's completely normal. Are you running in the evenings?

Things to remember that will help if not prevent this cramping.
    1 - Running is new to your body at the moment so all those connective tissues that are holding the organs together and in place are not used to jiggling around while you run. They'll stretch out.
    2 - No running on a full stomach, full of food or water. Both can cause this pain too.
    3 - Stretch, not just your legs but your torso. (YOGA can improve this)
    4 - Dehydration is another factor in this pain.

Remember to pace yourself. Pushing too hard, too fast is generally what brings on this pain too. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Breath DEEP and attempt the best you can to breathe through your NOSE for as long as you can. This SUCKS! at first, but will increase your lung power faster than just breathing solely through your mouth from the get go.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Don't fret, that's completely normal. Are you running in the evenings?

Things to remember that will help if not prevent this cramping.
    1 - Running is new to your body at the moment so all those connective tissues that are holding the organs together and in place are not used to jiggling around while you run. They'll stretch out.
    2 - No running on a full stomach, full of food or water. Both can cause this pain too.
    3 - Stretch, not just your legs but your torso. (YOGA can improve this)
    4 - Dehydration is another factor in this pain.

Remember to pace yourself. Pushing too hard, too fast is generally what brings on this pain too. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Breath DEEP and attempt the best you can to breathe through your NOSE for as long as you can. This SUCKS! at first, but will increase your lung power faster than just breathing solely through your mouth from the get go.

Yeah, my stretching is not what it should be. I just hop on the treadmill and walk for 5 minutes then start the jog/walk cycle of the program. Though as you suggested, getting back into jogging/running after a multi-year slouch I'm sure those tendons have a lot of strengthening to do.

I've been trying to focus on breathing while jogging because I recall in the past this would be the source of a lot of my problems. As suggested, I'm focused on breathing through my nose and not "holding" my breath but taking deep breaths and holding them for a moment then slowly release them.

Try breathing in and out when your left foot hits the ground. I know it sounds weird, but it usually works.

I've read this as well. Thanks.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Week 2 is complete. Week 3 starts Monday. Sh*ts about to get real... 1.5 min jog, 1.5 min walk, 3.0 min jog, 3.0 min walk. Repeat cycle 3 times. :eek3:

cvinson

We the People...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Lord, wife and daughter did C25K. With amazing results. It motivated my daughter, who has no interest in athletics, to run with the middle school track team.

Best of luck on your goal and journey!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom