Transfer of an out of state SBR procedure

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • michiganjfrog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Hello! I have some questions about how to transfer my out of state SBR into Louisiana. I have DPSSP form 4023 and 4012 printed, and am a little confused. Hopefully one of ya'll can help.

According to the NFA guys (who have been incredibly helpful and polite), I can't submit a 5320.20 until I get approval from DPS/LSP, and have to include the approval with my 5320.20.

So, would any of ya'll help me and tell me the exact process to move from Wyoming to Louisiana with my SBR?

I have the "Application to Register Firearm La. R.S. 40:1783" completed, but the "Application to Register a Firearm as Firearms Dealer, Importer, or Manufacturer (LRS 40:1787)" is a bit confusing to me.

1. Type of registration requested. Am I correct in assuming it to be 'Individual' if I own no businesses affiliated with the transfer or weapon?

2. Business Information. Do I leave this entire section blank if I do not own a business or do I fill it in as an individual?

3. Does LSP require fingerprint cards or anything of that nature on the same level that NFA Martinsburg does for registration?

4. If I haven't established my residence yet, can I use my current address in Wyoming and then change it when I get to Louisiana (but already have it registered)?

Thanks
    MJF

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    1. Individual.

2. Put your name in he business line.

3. No

4. Not sure, I'd call and ask. Check lsp.org for the contact info. I think it's under the handgun section.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    You only need to fill out the form to "register a firearm" because it is already made. Once you get that back then you send it in with the 5320. You will note that it is a permanent address change and you keep that copy with your form-1 or 4 once approved. They will not issue a new stamp.

Don't know about the address or residency issue, you might have to call LSP to clarify that.

Good Luck

Last edited:

michiganjfrog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    You only need to fill out the form to "register a firearm" because it is already made. Once you get that back then you send it in with the 5320. You will note that it is a permanent address change and you keep that copy with your form-1 or 4 once approved. They will not issue a new stamp.

Don't know about the address or residency issue, you might have to call LSP to clarify that.

Good Luck

Thanks. Are there any fees assessed for the application? And for clarification, I'm only required to submit two copies of the Application to Register a Firearm, DPSSP 4012 and that's all?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    No charge for the state paperwork or the 5320. I think you will need a La address to put on the forms but still not sure about the residency requirements.

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    warning - oppinion:

I would prepare the LA state form to register it, and the 1st day you set foot in LA you need to put in an address (PO box if need be) and mail it off.

I don't think atf needs a copy of the LA papers...last few times talking with them on the phone they said they could care less - but it IS examiner specific. But that would be a catch-22, because if atf won't let you move without LA approval, and LA won't approve without you living here - you would need to get atf approval to move it to a 3rd "holding" location somewhere less restrictive than LA.

As a side note - when I buy a supressor here, after the form 4 comes to the dealer, I walk out of the store with my supressor, but it is NOT registered to me on LA state papers yet. As I walk out I take the LA registration papers to the mail box and mail them off, thus leaving me "un registreded" for that period of time. BUT THAT IS NORMAL - no way around it, and they know it. Call the CHP in LA and talk to them..they are actual easy going.

Top Bottom