Transferring Texas CHL to Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calebh

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    nola
    I graduate soon / my TX driver license expires sooner, which means I have about a month to transfer my Texas driver license and CHL to Louisiana. Driver license isn't an issue, but I'm not sure about some of the legality of carrying with a Texas CHL while I'm officially a Louisiana resident, even after applying for the LA permit.

My understanding is that I can apply for the LA permit once I have the LA driver license, carry a receipt or something with me, and use that together with the out-of-state permit until everything is processed.

My specific questions:

I understand that the receipt or whatever is dated and will expire after 45 days. Assuming I get everything done within a couple weeks of paying the fee for that piece of paper, will I have the LA permit by then?

During part or all of that time, I'll also be applying for an address change and waiting on a non-resident Texas CHL (mostly as a legal formality; I only get to add Delaware to my list of states with a TX non-resident permit, and what's in Delaware?). Is it a problem if my Texas CHL has not yet been updated with my new LA address? If it is, can I show proof I've applied for the updated CHL?

Basically, I just want this process to go as smoothly, as by-the-book legally, and as quickly as possible, with no to little "lapse" time. Any tips?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I think your best bet is to call LSP CHP Unit at 225-925-4867 and they will give you the correct answers to all your questions.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Do like James said call LSP CHP unit.

But I would say when you get that LA DL you are one of us then. AND if you're one of us you'll have to have a La CHP to conceal carry in La.
    You'll have to take your classes and apply like everybody else and no CC'ing until you get your La CHP in the mail.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    ... You'll have to take your classes and apply like everybody else and no CC'ing until you get your La CHP in the mail.

If the parish you are moving to still offers Parish CHP's you could get one of those, which are normally issued either same day or within a couple of weeks. At least you can carry concealed within your home parish (only) while you wait on your state permit to come in he mail.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    I graduate soon / my TX driver license expires sooner, which means I have about a month to transfer my Texas driver license and CHL to Louisiana. Driver license isn't an issue, but I'm not sure about some of the legality of carrying with a Texas CHL while I'm officially a Louisiana resident, even after applying for the LA permit.

My understanding is that I can apply for the LA permit once I have the LA driver license, carry a receipt or something with me, and use that together with the out-of-state permit until everything is processed.

My specific questions:

I understand that the receipt or whatever is dated and will expire after 45 days. Assuming I get everything done within a couple weeks of paying the fee for that piece of paper, will I have the LA permit by then?

During part or all of that time, I'll also be applying for an address change and waiting on a non-resident Texas CHL (mostly as a legal formality; I only get to add Delaware to my list of states with a TX non-resident permit, and what's in Delaware?). Is it a problem if my Texas CHL has not yet been updated with my new LA address? If it is, can I show proof I've applied for the updated CHL?

Basically, I just want this process to go as smoothly, as by-the-book legally, and as quickly as possible, with no to little "lapse" time. Any tips?

I just went through this a little over a year ago, so here it goes:

There is a MANDATORY 6-month residency requirement before you can submit your LA CHP application packet to Baton Rouge, so the minute you get a LA driver license, the clock starts counting down. While you are waiting for your 6-month residency requirement to be fulfilled, your TX CHL will be valid and you can CC while in LA.

You MUST also attend a NRA-Certified Handgun Safety Course. I attended a NRA-Certified Handgun Safety Course before I got my Florida Carry License (which is still currently active) and I was informed, by the LA CHP unit in Baton Rouge, that I must attend a "LOUISIANA NRA-Certified Handgun Safety Course", or I would not be issued a permit. I recommend you do this during your mandatory 6-month residency period, so you can submit your completed packet on day 181.

Also, since you will not have 15 years of continuous LA residency prior to submitting your LA CHP permit application, there will be an additional $50 fee, which will make your initial 5-year permit cost $175. Now, you may be tempted to try and find out what the additional $50 fee is for, but when I did so, I was told to either pay the fee or no permit would be issued.

As per LA state statute, on day 181 of your Louisiana residency, your TX CHL will no longer be valid to CC unless you have proof (mailing receipts, copies of your application, etc.) that you mailed your LA CHP application packet to Baton Rouge, at which point, you will have an extension of only 6 additional weeks of valid CC on your TX CHL, provided that you have "proof copies" on your person when you are carrying. With the current backlog for LA CHPs, the time from application submission to getting your permit in the mail could be in excess of 90 to 100 days.

Needless to say, because of the way LA law is written and because of the extended wait times to get a LA CHP, there will likely be NO overlap between your TX CHL and your LA CHP.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!!

Last edited:

LjDoIron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Marrero

There is a MANDATORY 6-month residency requirement before you can submit your LA CHP application packet to Baton Rouge, so the minute you get a LA driver license, the clock starts counting down. While you are waiting for your 6-month residency requirement to be fulfilled, your TX CHL will be valid and you can CC while in LA.

You MUST also attend a NRA-Certified Handgun Safety Course. I attended a NRA-Certified Handgun Safety Course before I got my Florida Carry License (which is still currently active) and I was informed, by the LA CHP unit in Baton Rouge, that I must attend a "LOUISIANA NRA-Certified Handgun Safety Course", or I would not be issued a permit. I recommend you do this during your mandatory 6-month residency period, so you can submit your completed packet on day 181.

Also, since you will not have 15 years of continuous LA residency prior to submitting your LA CHP permit application, there will be an additional $50 fee, which will make your initial 5-year permit cost $175. Now, you may be tempted to try and find out what the additional $50 fee is for, but when I did so, I was told to either pay the fee or no permit would be issued.

As per LA state statute, on day 181 of your Louisiana residency, your TX CHL will no longer be valid to CC unless you have proof (mailing receipts, copies of your application, etc.) that you mailed your LA CHP application packet to Baton Rouge, at which point, you will have an extension of only 6 additional weeks of valid CC on your TX CHL, provided that you have "proof copies" on your person when you are carrying. With the current backlog for LA CHPs, the time from application submission to getting your permit in the mail could be in excess of 90 to 100 days.

Needless to say, because of the way LA law is written and because of the extended wait times to get a LA CHP, there will likely be NO overlap between your TX CHL and your LA CHP.

There is absolutely no 6 month residency requirement in Louisiana. (since 2011)

http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/lsp...9c254132ab0ca5aa8625747f00751245?OpenDocument

Concealed Handguns Frequently Asked Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. How long do I have to live in Louisiana before I am eligible for a permit?

A. You may apply for a Louisiana concealed handgun permit once you have established residency.
    [L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (C) (3)]

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

That's all new on me, I thought when you got your La. DL you were then a La. resident and being a La. resident you had to have a La CHP to CC in La.
    What are the Statues for that I would like to read them?

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    There is absolutely no 6 month residency requirement in Louisiana. (since 2011)

http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/lsp...9c254132ab0ca5aa8625747f00751245?OpenDocument

Concealed Handguns Frequently Asked Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. How long do I have to live in Louisiana before I am eligible for a permit?

A. You may apply for a Louisiana concealed handgun permit once you have established residency.
    [L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (C) (3)]

In July of 2011, I read and downloaded a .pdf file copy of the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Laws and Administrative Rules, Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Office of State Police, from the state website and they are labelled on the lower left-hand corner, of the first inside page, as follows: DPSSP 4647 08/08

On my copy of the law, L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (C) (3) states: "Be a resident of the state and have been a resident for six months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application."

The new DPSSP 4647 is dated 07/12. Since I applied for my permit on 03/12, I was legally mandated to fulfill a 6-month residency requirement before I could apply for my permit, based on the 08/08 version of the regs.

Thanks for the heads-up on the reg change and I stand corrected.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I also would like to know where it states that you have 6 months to use your old out of state permit. According to the CHP section of LSP the out of state permit is void as soon as you claim residency.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    I also would like to know where it states that you have 6 months to use your old out of state permit. According to the CHP section of LSP the out of state permit is void as soon as you claim residency.

If that is currently the law, then there would be no overlapping of the OP's TX CHL and his new LA CHP. If he completed the earliest available Handgun Safety Course, got all his paperwork and other items together, mailed his packet, and waited the current processing time for his permit, he could possibly be unable to CC for more than 4 months.

IMHO, that's just stupid...

Last edited:

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    I did find this in LRS 40:1379.3

(4) A concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana for the purpose of authorizing a Louisiana resident to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Louisiana.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97451

LA doesn't issue Non-Resident CHPs, so you MUST be a resident to apply. LA grants reciprocity to most states in the U.S., and you would think that they would give people, moving to the state, a grace period on their old carry permits. This would allow the new resident the time to apply for a LA CHP and still have the ability to carry while waiting for their permit to arrive.

As I stated in an earlier post: This part of the law is just plain stupid...

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    LA doesn't issue Non-Resident CHPs, so you MUST be a resident to apply. LA grants reciprocity to most states in the U.S., and you would think that they would give people, moving to the state, a grace period on their old carry permits. This would allow the new resident the time to apply for a LA CHP and still have the ability to carry while waiting for their permit to arrive.

As I stated in an earlier post: This is just plain stupid...

They did give all the La. people with the cheap no training FL resident permit about a year to get a La CHP.

I've had a La. CHP for over 17 years

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    They did give all the La. people with the cheap no training FL resident permit about a year to get a La CHP.

I've had a La. CHP for over 17 years

But, as the law is currently written, LA will not grant new LA residents ANY grace period on their old carry permits. Where is the sense in that??

Top Bottom