Trespassing situation- family nervous

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So we are doing some extensive renovations on the property, and the parish is involved. We are relocating electrical/gas lines, filling in a gully, and relocating a bridge. Its a big project, and with all this happening, I expect people to be on/around my property.

A few weeks ago the neighbors drive past while im BBQing and asked if we've been having problems with our power. I said no, what makes you ask? They said "we saw you walking around the yard the other night after dark with a flashlight, maybe you and your wife?"

...nope.

Didn't think much of it- reassured the wife that it was probably someone in the wee early hours surveying the property etc.

So last week my neighbor calls me at ~11:30pm and asks what kind of animal I was after and asked if I needed a hand. I asked what the hell he was talking about. He said "i saw you walk into your shed with your shotgun, figured you were after a possum or something"

Went out to shed- sure enough, a few propane tanks and some power tools mia. Called the police and put a lock (back) on the shed, but wife is home with infant all day and is a bit nervous.

Last night wife comes up and says "someones in the yard" and had a very ...concerned tone of voice. I called the police dept and told them I needed someone to come out and they said "they'd be sending an officer shortly. Lock the door and stay inside." - which pissed me right off. Told her that I am armed and if they come into my home I'll shoot them on the spot."

Cop was there a few minutes later- had a brief and friendly chat and found no one in the yard.

Wife knows location of a hidden firearm in nearly every room of the house, but shes still nervous. Told wife if someones in the yard, call 911 and then me. If they come in the house, different story. I told neighbors that I won't be outside with a long gun- if they see it please call us/police.

Maybe its time to add more motion sensors n lights...

This is all for sake of venting, but any added advice or input would be appreciated.

btw- buried my german sheperd last year. never had this kinda problem when he was around.

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Motion lights are GREAT! If you have an IR hunting camera or a buddy that does, you can get a pic of the person or persons for the police. Make sure its I.R. b/ if they see a flash, they may take the whole camera with them.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Motion lights are GREAT! If you have an IR hunting camera or a buddy that does, you can get a pic of the person or persons for the police. Make sure its I.R. b/ if they see a flash, they may take the whole camera with them.

thats exactly what happened when i went through this a few years ago! learned that lesson the hard way.

fyi- my motion sensors arent active ATM, just finished a major renovation/addition to the house. I guess I got chores to do.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don't know what kind of property you have...but I would put out some serious spotlights (think baseball field) and either leave them on or set up a pretty serious motion trip.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    few acres just outside city limits. just= under 100 yards.

probably going the super-ridiculously over compensated motion sensor idea and just turn darkness into daylight. should be cheap, effective, and warm fuzzy feelings for wife and family.

Last edited:

southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    About 2 years ago I had a similar situation happen. I bought a set of cameras from SAMS. I think it was $99.00. 3 cameras with a little tv screen and a memory card. Think it was a Uniden. I put 1 on each back corner of the house and 1 on the front of the shed. They are wireless so I just hooked power into lights I already have there. It was easy for me. I caught a few traspassers and they were caught. I then bought thise big signs at Harbor freight, One says smily your on camera, big and yellow with a smiley face. The other is white with a camera pic on it and recording info and hung both on my wooden fence near the open areas. My wife thought I was crazy. They have a motion alarm that I set on 1 of them and my neighbors kid will never forget me running out at 11:30 PM with a shotgun in my underwear because I saw movement in backyard. (he was trying to catch his dog) They are IR and have a very good video quality for a 99 dollar set up. I even caught my 8 year old daughter pushing her brother down and breaking his arm on camera. Couldnt lie. Text me 985-860-1092 and I can forward you the short video of my the push/breaking incident so you can at least see the video quality if you want to consider that option. My wife feels secure now with alarm, cameras and guns. jm2c

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    few acres just outside city limits. just= under 100 yards.

probably going the super-ridiculously over compensated motion sensor idea and just turn darkness into daylight. should be cheap, effective, and warm fuzzy feelings for wife and family.

Send me a PM with what lights you decide to go with to turn the darkness into daylight :) I need to get some for my house.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Does your budget allow for backed-up CCTV cameras?

Buddy just outfit the outside of his house with cameras that record to a hard drive he keeps in his gun safe. Even if they take the cameras, the evidence is safe.

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    Does your budget allow for backed-up CCTV cameras?

Buddy just outfit the outside of his house with cameras that record to a hard drive he keeps in his gun safe. Even if they take the cameras, the evidence is safe.
    I have a friend who does the same thing and it works great,he once had a breakin at his house and was able to catch them.

Top Bottom