Trigger Work at the Range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Saw this last night while reading into way to optimize my time and ammo when going out to the range. I oh sooo need to do more trigger work. Just thought I would share. This is something that may not have been explained to you in great detail and is quite informative.

Of all the classes I have taken, I have yet to have one go into great detail about proper trigger reset.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Saw this last night while reading into way to optimize my time and ammo when going out to the range. I oh sooo need to do more trigger work. Just thought I would share. This is something that may not have been explained to you in great detail and is quite informative.

Of all the classes I have taken, I have yet to have one go into great detail about proper trigger reset.

That's because shooting to trigger reset is a panacea. It helps your performance improve in class or on the range but isn't all that useful of a skill in real life. It's a tool or training trick to help semi-skilled shooters improve their trigger manipulation. Most of the worlds best shooters, both combat and match, don't talk about it much and in fact guys like Enos and Barnhardt swear they are much faster when just manipulating the trigger through its full stroke.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Here's a good video describing the different methods and clearing up some of the terminology. I'd consider myself a "slack out" shooter. Coming completely off the trigger actually makes a lot more sense to me, I just haven't had the time or ammo to work on it. I used to shoot the "reset" method before realizing its flaws under stress during classes (short stroking the trigger, unintended double taps).

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Here's a good video describing the different methods and clearing up some of the terminology. I'd consider myself a "slack out" shooter. Coming completely off the trigger actually makes a lot more sense to me, I just haven't had the time or ammo to work on it. I used to shoot the "reset" method before realizing its flaws under stress during classes (short stroking the trigger, unintended double taps).

Yeah, the "Short Stroking" has been my issue. Shooting the M&P9 with APEX Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit is nice but the audible and feel reset is close to non-existent. I then mistakenly (Tap, Rack, Bang) it thinking round either did not chamber or I had a miss fire. It has happened a few times during a stress shoot. This is a prime example to get out to train as much as possible. I continue to learn more about myself and the tools I use.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yeah, the "Short Stroking" has been my issue. Shooting the M&P9 with APEX Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit is nice but the audible and feel reset is close to non-existent. I then mistakenly (Tap, Rack, Bang) it thinking round either did not chamber or I had a miss fire. It has happened a few times during a stress shoot. This is a prime example to get out to train as much as possible. I continue to learn more about myself and the tools I use.

Yep. Had that alot when I was using Apex trigger M&Ps. It's what made me appreciate, and eventually switch to, the Glocks. You can certainly make the M&P work, but trying to work the reset on that trigger is gonna screw ya every time.

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Blasphemy Jack! Blasphemy!:curse:

I did own glocks (G19 & 30) but liked the feel of the M&P better! I shot Nates one time and was impressed. Either one of these pistol would be a good choice with a few mods to each.

Top Bottom