Trouble seeing bullseye at Gonzales in morning sun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    There were only 5 of us on the line at Gonzales Sunday morning for the practice high power match at 200 yards.

Turned out to be very frustrating for George and for me--neither of us could see the bullseye decent enough to get an acceptable sight picture! The rising sun was backlighting the targets, leaving them in a shadow with a halo effect around the black bullseye from the center cut-out of the frames. For the most part I was just aiming at the center of the target and frame, as I could barely make out a smudge of a bullseye sometimes...sometimes could not see it at all.

And I could not see any of the POIs, so I could not make adjustments until between stages and seeing the target up close...well, I did see a couple when the light shined through, but they were in the white! Could not see anything in the black. I think that was a combination of the lighting and a cheap scope (mostly the latter).

My new vermillion shooting glasses didn't help. Tried slanting them to bring up the power, but that didn't help. Finally switched to my regular glasses at full power, and still could not see the bullseye. That told me the problem wasn't that the prescription wasn't strong enough...rather, my 58 year old eyes just weren't getting enough light in to see decently!

Everyone else was seeing the targets OK, but we were the "senior" shooters, and that undoubtedly had alot to do with it.

George quit shooting about 1/2 way through, but I shot off all my rounds just on principle. When I told my wife she chastised me for wasting ammo and $$$.

I had experienced this once before, at Tallow Creek in the morning.

Any advice, besides buying a better spotting scope and getting an eye transplant? Or just not shooting at ranges that face anywhere near the East in the morning or toward the West in the afternoon?

Bill Sims

Last edited:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Few things I can think of ...

1) I have one of the cheap Konus Spotting Scopes, front end extends to act as a sunshade. Does yours?

2) Is your rear aperature hooded? Is it smaller than standard issue? From what I've read in the past, guys with young eyes can go with smaller aperature sizes usually found on NM rifles but as we age some tend to need larger ones to gather as much light as possible.

3) Try a cover that is actually made for shooting or at the least get one with a brim that will cover the rear aperature. I don't have one and usually just wear a ball cap. Ocassionally I've had to pull it forward to reduce the glare, etc. So far forward in fact that the rear is in the middle of my head and the front is sitting on top the rear sight......especially when using a BobJones lens insert for my aging eyes. Mr. Z has recommended to me in the past to use one like this.... http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16201&cat=0&page=2

4) Get there early and ask George to place you on target 1 or 2 since they are closest to the treeline/morning shade for both the shooter and targets.

Last edited:

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    My cheap Barska spotting scope has the same kind of sunshade, and it was extended. I was wearing a regular baseball cap and tried to shield myself and the rear aperture. I did put "wings" on the side of my shooting glasses.

My rifle has small, unhooded NM rear apertures--I bet you are right, that they weren't letting in enough light for my aging eyes. I'll need to check into bigger apertures, and perhaps the inserts. Will be going to the link in a few minutes!

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    This week I shot at 100 yards, good light conditions, and was still having trouble seeing the black. I tried an enlarged aperture (0.062 inch) as well as my original (.042), and the small one did slightly better in the good conditions.

As at Gonzales, I was "sucking air" sometimes, trying to get my breath, and my heart was racing.

Yesterday I found out why: I have a heart condition that is severely limiting blood flow. Explains why for the past month I get winded just walking 100 feet, and why my heart has been racing for a month at around 142 beats/min...normal for me is 64 to 68, and I am very fit with normally lots of endurance. I

n the Navy I worked out nearly every day and always scored Outstanding on the physical fitness test, and have continued to stay fit and am not carrying any weight, and have no cardiovascular high risk factors.

Seems I have atrial fibrillations, which area very common in runners over age 50.

I've had a recent episode where I couldn't read due to insufficient blood flow. Will know more after a couple more tests and final eval by the cardiologist. We are expecting this to be treatable with meds.

Now I know it was not the eyes, equipment, or glasses, but a lack of blood flow.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Bill, my eyes are so bad from a medical condition that I have, I keep all my rifle competitions to optic only sports, such as 3Gun, and AR15 carbine matches where optics are permitted, In the coming year, I hope to bring a rifle out to the the F-class matches where optics are a neccessity, Even with my Rx, I can shoot the first few shots through steel sights (like the highpower match I shot), but after that they become too blurry, my vision goes in and out trying to focus on sights, I even used a Ophthamotogists who is a high power shooter,

Last edited:

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    3gun is out of the question for me, as I get out of breath just walking normally..I try to hide that fact...is hard to accept for someone who was a dedicated runner for decades and I'm only 58!

Will check into the other 2 competitions you mentioned if modern medicine isn't able to get my heart back to some efficiency.

Top Bottom