Trying for the perfect steak..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Perfect timing on the thread! I assume everyone is gearing up for Saturday?

1.jpg

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I just figure if I can hold my hand close to the skillet for more than 5 seconds, it ain't hot enough. Once you get a feel for the temp, you should not need a thermometer, but they are not a bad thing to have.

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    Of all the ways I have tried this is my favorite.
    1st get a good piece of meat. (some stores are better than others even on the same pieces of meat.)
    Set it out and let it get to room temp.
    NO SEASONING before cooking (especially salt as it will dry out your meat).
    Set your over to 500 middle rack.
    Set your stove to HI with an over safe non stick pan.
    When the pan is really hot spray with a little canola and throw the steak on there 30 second each side.
    Then into the over for another 1 min to 1:30 each side. (Rare for your average steak)
    When you put the steak in the over put a plate in the micro for 1 min or so to warm it up. (steak gets cold fast)
    remove steak from oven and move it to the plate.
    Now is the time to add salt and pepper. I prefer kosher or sea salt.
    enjoy.

The trick to good steak is eating it rare. The more you cook it the more you remove flavor. Sauces are for cheap steaks.
    A good quality steak should only require salt.
    Also Salt draws out liquid from meat. That is why they use kosher salt to remove blood from meat. This works with water as well so always salt at the last possible moment.
    Some times I salt pieces as i eat them.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    First thing, get a good, well-marbled steak. If it's not evenly marbled it won't be as juicy.

Second, like said above, let it sit until it's at room temp. I never season them before. The only time I marinade them is when it's a cheap cut.

Get your pit as hot as it can go on one side. Leave the other side off.

Hot side for 30 seconds, flip, 30 seconds, flip and turn, repeat. Then it goes on the off-side. Cook on indirect heat 30 seconds or so on each side. Then I remove them and set them on a plate, and make a small cut to see how pink it is. I like them pretty rare, but if it's not done enough, I'll slap it back on for another minute or so until it's where I want it. Always comes out perfect.

I like to put some Tony's on my plate and basically just dab each bite in it a little as I go.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I cook a good steak and follow the KISS method.

Most important thing is you want a good sear. Searing the meat at high temperature seals in the juices. If cooking in the oven, a well seasoned cast iron pan is a must. Google how to season it, you may need to put it in the oven on Clean to burn off the factory season and start over. You want to put the cast iron pan in the oven and turn the oven way up. You want to get that pan hot but not so hot it burns off the season. I typically do broil for a good 20 minutes on the top shelf. Make sure you turn the stove on its hottest setting about 5 minutes before pulling the pan out because you want to go right from the hot oven to a hot stovetop.

Before all that though you want to take the meat out the fridge and let it get close to room temperature. Coat it with oil. I use safflower because of the high smoke point (something like 500º) but it will still smoke a bit (unplug your smoke detector and open windows). Never put the meat under water. I know some people "wash" the meat, but all it does is soak up water and steam cooks it from the inside. This is a muscle and it's used to being full of blood. It will be full of water if you let it. I also don't marinade my meat b/c of the same reason. I'm not looking to steam cook my steak. I have the sea salt and pepper grinder combo and set them to coarse and that's the only seasoning I use (I put a lot b/c that's how I like it)

So you have the hot pan and a room temperature steak. Toss the steak in the pan and let it sit for 3 minutes. Remove the steak and let the pan heat up real good again. Throw the other side in the pan and let it sit for 3 minutes. Never fool with the meat for that 3 minutes let it get a good sear. Toss the pan back in the oven and cook to your desired level of doneness. Usually it's 5-7 minutes in the oven for a good medium rare. Take the steak out and wrap it in Aluminum foil and let it sit for a good 10-15 minutes to cool off and allow the meat to relax a little. That's pretty much it.

I do the same thing with my gas grill and it comes out just as tasty. Just need a grill that gets really hot and sear one side, take the steak off, get the grill hot again, and sear the other side. Also it gives the steak some awesome grill marks. I made some surf and turf Sunday and came out amazing. (Ignore the steak in the lower left lol I cooked for my mom and she likes her steak burnt and covered in bbq sauce) If you want an awesome grill I highly recommend the one I have. It's easily tossed in your vehicle and brought wherever you want, has a built in thermometer, and gets super hot very quick. Runs off the camping propane tanks but there's an adapter for the larger ones if you aren't moving it around a lot. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O82K4Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2gHzane.jpg

Last edited:

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    OMG I'm definitely craving a good steak now! Thanks alot OP:p.
    I've found that buying the best meat you can makes a lot of difference. I tend to like the black label walmart steak actually, pricey but I havnt had a steak in a restaurant that good when cooked right. I put a little brown sugar and a little tony's on then throw on the grill till they feel right. (and yes I always lick my finger b4 I touch everyone's steak,that's the secret ingredient). I cook over only wood, pecan, hickory or oak, whichever I grab (prolly just cause I'm a cheap ass). In my opinion cooking method doesn't make as big of a difference as good meat.

snot rod

Hot Rodder Extraordinair
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    St. Amant
    uploadfromtaptalk1426211305516.jpg

I get my steaks from Juniors Meat Market in French settlement. Salt them and let them sit for 45-60 minutes. Rub them down with olive oil, and grind some black pepper over them. Get a black iron skillet super hot and sear them for 2 minutes each side. Then I finish them off in a oven set at 500 degrees until preferred doneness.

snot rod

Hot Rodder Extraordinair
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    St. Amant
    uploadfromtaptalk1426212043223.jpg

Attachments