Trying for the perfect steak..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snot rod

Hot Rodder Extraordinair
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    St. Amant
    uploadfromtaptalk1426212871183.jpg

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm going to get flamed (ha!) for this, but... no salt, no pepper, no seasoning. A good steak doesn't need all that. Besides, seasoning is for wusses. It should taste like you just brought it down with a spear and chewed into the jugular to finish it off, then threw it onto a huge fire for five minutes!

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I pick the cut i want, depending on the meal.
    Cover it in olive oil and a lil worchestire and let it sit for 10 minutes or so.
    Seaon it with garlic, onion, black pepper, greek seasoning and sea salt.
    I heat my gas grill to 450
    Slap it on there and drizzzle the remaining oil mixture over the top.
    I let burn for about a minute, cut the flame on the side with water as i drop the temp to medium.
    I flipp it one time at five minutes
    Check it after its off the grill and let it sit for a few before serving...

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    What made me want to try at home, was me and my wife went to Ruffinos, and the filet was awesome. Then I thought how many I could cook at home for the $45/steak I paid there.

The best steak I've ever eaten at a restaurant was the ribeye cap at Ruffinos. Surprisingly I think it beat the bone in ribeye at Prime Steakhouse at the Bellagio in Vegas. And at nearly $50 for the ribeye cap, it's $20 cheaper too.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm bringing some 1-1/2" thick ribeyes to the camp this weekend for the crew. Yeah- they're like roasts- by they sure stay tender, on the pit. :D

I want to try the coarse sea salt/cracked pepper-only route. Never tried it. I usually use one of several steak seasonings (Montreal, Tex-Joy, etc) along with other standard fare such as Tony's.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I prefer mine rare. I like it to slightly twitch when I cut into it. :rockon:

I usually do too, because I'm a man. I've only had one or two that were Too rare for me, and those were basically still raw.

I used to be like y'all but I have adapted to medium and medium rare.

A properly cooked, excellent cut of meat is almost as juicy and tender when cooked medium to medium well, or even well done.

Medium well / well done steak doesn't have to be dry or tough.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alton Brown on his show Good Eats recommends baking in an oven to a core temperature that matches how done you prefer then taking them out and searing in a hot black iron skillet. Then let it rest for about 5 minutes loosely wrapped in aluminium foil.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    OK, may get flamed for this but it's damn good and easy as hell to do. Brother in Law has a Sous Vide machine. Get steak, season, vac pack, place in pot of water with machine. Leave in water till timer goes off, sear momentarily on hot ass skillet or grill. The steak is literally medium rare (or whatever you desire) from top to bottom. I'm thinking hard about buying one

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom