Tula Parts Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    So after 3 Aks, I've got me Ak-Homebuild-fever....

I recently purchased a Tula Parts Kit. (They're labeled as "Bulgarian" on various websites, but are technically Russian due to a bizarre importation rule requiring them to sit in Bulgaria for a time prior to coming to the U.S.). I'm gearing up for a homebuild. (Purchased a barrel, 922 Parts, a jig and various other Ak-related tools... Plus I've researched the building process online after a week of non-stop printing and reading).

My question is this: Benzomatic MAPP Torches. -Should I use it, or should I just take my bent receiver to my buddy's machine shop and get it done with one of his? Anyone hardened a flat with one?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I own an AK with a Nodak. Very nice. -I can see why a lot of people recommend them.

This time I'm digging the no FFL idea. My last cheap source for FFL transfers, (within an economical driving distance), just jacked up his price and I can't justify him costing me just as much as the actual pre-bent receiver. (Kinda like putting a Trijicon scope on a used WASR 10.... -Just doesn't make sense).

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Can't help ya, but did you get your Tula kit in? I just ordered one (well, actually two) from Cope's. Wondering how yours looks!

Not yet. I just ordered mine from Cope's too. I'll keep 'ya updated.

This Tula Parts Kit seems to be the steal of the year as far as kits go, don't they? I've been looking at the reviews on Ak Files.... They look NICE.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This Tula Parts Kit seems to be the steal of the year as far as kits go, don't they?

For $300 I'd want a barrel to come with it. Apex has some Bulgy's with new US barrels for $240.
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/1209

I'm going to strongly encourage you to get a Nodak receiver if for no other reason than you can get them marked with Russian selector markings. I can't see paying a premium for a Russian marked parts kit and then have a receiver that doesn't look the part. Shipped to your FFL is $105. Go on gunbroker to find a new FFL or take a road trip. Somebody in Alexandria has to know the place to go for that.

russian-selector.jpg

Aside from being an underfolder in 7.62 see how good a Russian clone can look in these pictures from asianak. It's even got the detents put in before refinishing the entire rifle.

http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46104

If you're going to spend the money, spend the money. Otherwise you might as well use any old kit for the build. My opinion but I hate to see a Russian kit not used to its full potential.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    For $300 I'd want a barrel to come with it. Apex has some Bulgy's with new US barrels for $240.

I'm going to strongly encourage you to get a Nodak receiver if for no other reason than you can get them marked with Russian selector markings. I can't see paying a premium for a Russian marked parts kit and then have a receiver that doesn't look the part. Shipped to your FFL is $105. Go on gunbroker to find a new FFL or take a road trip. Somebody in Alexandria has to know the place to go for that.

russian-selector.jpg

Aside from being an underfolder in 7.62 see how good a Russian clone can look in these pictures from asianak. It's even got the detents put in before refinishing the entire rifle.

If you're going to spend the money, spend the money. Otherwise you might as well use any old kit for the build. My opinion but I hate to see a Russian kit not used to its full potential.

I agree about using nodak and getting the proper selector marks. Here is a picture of my NDS-1 with Egyptian selector marks done by Piece of History Firearms. Crappy cell phone photo.

Photo083.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

The link you posted is for a non-matching Bulgy 74 kit with US barrel (probably not chrome lined). Kinda apples and oranges compared to the Tula kits in the OP.

I spent right at $420 for a Tula kit and virgin chrome lined Romy barrel. That's about about $100 more than the beat to **** Romy kits on the market now. And the cheapest and closest I'll ever come to a Russian AK.

I agree about everything else though. Nodak is where it's at!

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Ugggh! I'm hating these FFL people in Central Louisiana! They're killing me! It's absolutely ridiculous that they're all jacking up their prices for "economic / business purposes." -Is it my fault that they can't seem to sell that I/O Ak-47 priced for $750.00 hung on their wall, when I can just order one online and have it shipped through them for $450.00 total out of my pocket? (How it was kind of explained to me after inquiring... -Not that I'd ever give an I/O a second glance).

I'm seriously considering the Nodak Spud; however, I'm thinking that I'll ask one of my buddies if they want to go in on an order to save some money. -It STILL just doesn't make economical sense. Not when 1 receiver is nearly the same price as the transfer.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana

russian-selector.jpg

I'm leaning towards the NODAK and you do have a valid historical point; however, I have to disagree about the Bulgarian suggestion. -Absolutely no comparison. The Russian Tula "is what it is." (First Factory for M.K.) Moreover, I don't think that the Tulas will be around for too long... EVER. It's not like '47s are still being manufactured out of the Tula Factory.

Hmmm.... Yeah. NODAK. I think that I might. I'll save the bending for some Romanian mixed matches....

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    To clarify my link to the Bulgarian kits with US barrels, that was in comparison to NOT doing the Russian kit "right". The point of a Russian kit, IMO, is to make it look as accurate as possible to a real Russian AK. If the builder isn't going to do a reproduction than I think you're better off saving your money and just getting another kit. I was not saying they were equal except for the price. My bad for not explaining that.

@ak_shooter Nice selector mark engravings. I've bookmarked their website.

@blake74u I don't think going in with your buddy will save you any money. The price from Nodak includes shipping and FFL's generally charge per firearm, not per customer. So if they charge $20 to do a transfer that's on each receiver, not on each batch you have sent in. Post that you're looking for an FFL with reasonable prices near Alexandria in the Off Topic forum.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I built all 28 builds I've done on flats. Never used a Nodak receiver. If I didn't have access to a spot welder I might consider it, but everything else is pretty easy.

By the way, the MAP torch works great for heat-treating.

Hey AK-Shooter! You made an Egyptian build? And you didn't call me? I am downright hurt.

;)

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I built all 28 builds I've done on flats. Never used a Nodak receiver. If I didn't have access to a spot welder I might consider it, but everything else is pretty easy.

Hey AK-Shooter! You made an Egyptian build? And you didn't call me? I am downright hurt.

;)

I have not built it yet. I have a friend doing the barrel work for me, there was a headspace issue and the barrel pin channel had to be welded and redrilled.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana

;)

Why do you build from flats? (Asking out of curiousity). -Is it because of fears about future governmental misuse of ATF Form 4473? (Thinking about the movie, "Red Dawn").

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    To clarify my link to the Bulgarian kits with US barrels, that was in comparison to NOT doing the Russian kit "right". The point of a Russian kit, IMO, is to make it look as accurate as possible to a real Russian AK. If the builder isn't going to do a reproduction than I think you're better off saving your money and just getting another kit. I was not saying they were equal except for the price. My bad for not explaining that.

@ak_shooter Nice selector mark engravings. I've bookmarked their website.

@blake74u I don't think going in with your buddy will save you any money. The price from Nodak includes shipping and FFL's generally charge per firearm, not per customer. So if they charge $20 to do a transfer that's on each receiver, not on each batch you have sent in. Post that you're looking for an FFL with reasonable prices near Alexandria in the Off Topic forum.

Good point. I have to agree to a certain extent... I mean, the current Maadi Parts Kits are on par with the Tulas as far as quality goes.

I think that I found a $20.00 FFL in Grant Parish. I'm checking it out today.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Why do you build from flats? (Asking out of curiousity). -Is it because of fears about future governmental misuse of ATF Form 4473? (Thinking about the movie, "Red Dawn").

For me, the reason I build is the fun of the build itself. Bypassing a major set of steps in the build to me takes away a lot of the fun. Making the receiver to me gives me a feeling that I built the gun, not NoDakSpud. I understand that a lot of people feel differently, but for me the pleasure of the build is in the build, not only in the ownership.

Top Bottom