Turkey Hunters?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    So, do any of you guys turkey hunt? If so, where? Having any luck this year? Pics? Lets see 'em.

I think I'm going to make another hunt in a few weeks. Try to slip a couple days in before the close of the spring season in Mississippi, which I think is May 1?

Any tips or advice?

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't really turkey hunt. I've never been proficient with a call so I never bothered, but my cousin eats that **** up. We have a place in Mississippi about an hour north of Baton Rouge. To my knowledge, he hasn't taken a bird yet this season.

ry_kj_an

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've got it bad for the turkeys. Really the only animal that I'm still mad at. Got to go once so far this year and had a great morning. Called in a jake shortly after daylight. Messed with him for about an hour. He gobbled at EVERY call that we threw at him acting like the king of the woods. I started getting aggressive with him when he started moving off. He would still gobble at my calls, but another turkey cut him off when the jake double gobbled. I've never heard/seen a jake gobble/act this way. My brother in law and I were looking for spurs and a full fan at first (thinking that he had some issues with his beard) but he had the classic Jake fan.

We ended up setting up on the turkey that cut the jake off and shot him at 20 steps about 15 minutes after we set up. He was probably a two year old. 9.5 inch (thin) beard and 3/4 inch spurs. Heard another gobble as we were walking out. Gorgeous morning and the only thing that could have made it better for my brother in law and I would have been to have my dad with us. Dad passed away last October and there is not a day that goes by where I don't think about a "close encounter" that dad and I had together last turkey season. Fortunately I have a lot of great memories of our time together.

We hunt in Wilkinson County, MS and West Feliciana Parish. You probably don't want any advice from me. I get lucky occasionally, but most of the time I walk out without a bird. Be patient and try to learn from each situation. Try to make yourself sit 30 minutes longer than you want to. I've blown several encounters for being too impatient.

bonecollector

Defend-LA, LLC
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Slidell, LA
    Turkey Hunting

I havent had any success in Wayne County Mississippi. I came from Texas about 12 years ago where I could call up Easterns and Rio's with relative ease. I consistently harvested 2 longbeards per year.
    Since hunting in Miss., I've only gotten 2 gobblers to respond in 10 years. I don't know what to attribute it to. The property isnt overpressured this time of year.
    I haven't committed to treeing the birds in the evening and setting up there the next morning. My will is strong, so I will keep trying. Any advise would be appreciated.

AfterShock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This is my first season hunting turkey. I've made two trips to Franklin Co, MS. First trip I saw no turkey, but 9 deer. go figure. Second trip I could hear them gobbling from the roost before daylight and got closer and made some calls but they never responded. I saw them moving in the woods later than day, 2 adults and some jakes, but they didn't respond to my calls. Probably because I'm new and not great at calling. It's definitely a rush to hear them shatter the morning with those tree gobbles, I'm still hoping to take one this year.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I went all last week, finally seen 2 young long beards, but they would never get out from behind 3 small trees. At least I got to see some. I'll get them next week when I'm home from work!!!!!;);)

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    So, do any of you guys turkey hunt? If so, where? Having any luck this year? Pics? Lets see 'em.

I think I'm going to make another hunt in a few weeks. Try to slip a couple days in before the close of the spring season in Mississippi, which I think is May 1?

Any tips or advice?

Yep, March 12 - May 1.
    So far I've only hunted the fall season and bagged my 2 toms early morning.

Scout the day before (near dusk) to try and catch these guys sounding off as they approach their roost or fly up to it. This will give you an advantage to move into a good calling range in the dark hours of the morning w/o spooking them. They love to roost in ponderosa as well.
    Remember their first line of defense is their effin' incredible eyesight. Bear this is mind when moving closer during a possible call-in (ie. use the natural cover of landscape to stay out of sight).
    I start by calling sparingly, but if I get a random response sometimes I will get stupid with it to fire them up if possible.
    Most of all, have fun.

Top Bottom