Turn Signal Does NOT give you Right-of-Way

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Oh, I know a turn signal doesn't give you right a way. Neither does the lightbar and lights on an ambulance- and BELIEVE ME, people do not like to yield to it.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The dick that tailgates the car in front of them just to not allow people to merge in normal merge situations is just as big of a dick as the dick that uses the ending lane to try to jump a bunch of cars and merge at the last second.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Did you know that in Kalifornia, that if a driver put his signal light on and you do not let him in, you get a ticket.

I wonder what the whole story is on this rule. Certainly there are situations in which you're not required to do so, but I wonder what they are and how it's enforced. Kind of like the "no camping in the left lane" laws.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    I will count the stupid driving moves I encounter on my way to drop my son off at school and then on to my work about 5 miles. A good day 5 or so incidents on a bad day 10 or more. I now see them coming and barely even react to them, my blood pressure would be to high if took it personal.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    OK I'm reading the California Vehicle Code right now, and I found this:

"21710. The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral. "

Is that weird or what? I do this all the time.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    OK I'm reading the California Vehicle Code right now, and I found this:

"21710. The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral. "

Is that weird or what? I do this all the time.

In 18 wheelers, this prevents what is known as an "Arkansas Overdrive" where the trucker can't get the transmission back into gear to use the engine for breaking and results in a run-away truck.

I ALWAYS yield to lights and sirens!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I would rather yield to the asshat in the larger moving vehicle than go to my grave knowing that "I had the right of way, and I'll be damned if I'll crawl!":madfawk:

Call me crazy, but I'm of the belief that we have an obligation to keep on living and fight another day, fellers.:D

Lewgee

USMC VET OIF * *
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    St Charles
    The one I hate the most is.. when I am hauling a trailer and pass someone.... I put my right blinker on before I even finish passing to let the people behind me know I AM GETTING BACK OVER... but still some ass clown decides to shoot in the gap as soon as I am clear.......AHHHHHHHHHH

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    1268284849-455.JPG

Will this work? It's on the New Orleans Craigslist for $4500. Kinda nice paint job though.
    Now I want $4500 and a cattle guard...

Sometimes I think being broke helps me out of temptation.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh, I know a turn signal doesn't give you right a way. Neither does the lightbar and lights on an ambulance- and BELIEVE ME, people do not like to yield to it.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but it does

Hence.....

32:125. Procedure on approach of an authorized emergency vehicle; passing a parked emergency vehicle

A. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible or visual signals, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal only, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the highway clear of any intersection, and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

B. When any vehicle making use of any visual signals as authorized by law, including the display of alternately flashing amber or yellow warning lights, is parked on or near the highway, the driver of every other vehicle shall:

(1) When driving on an interstate highway or other highway with two or more lanes traveling in the same direction, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the parked vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions. If a lane change is not possible, the driver shall slow to a reasonably safe speed.

(2) Maintain a safe speed for road conditions, if unable or unsafe to change lanes, or driving on a two-lane road or highway.

C. This Section shall not operate to relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.

D. Any person who violates the provisions of this Section shall, upon conviction, be subject to a fine not to exceed two hundred dollars.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1980, No. 160, §1; Acts 2001, No. 583, §1; Acts 2008, No. 429, §1, eff. June 21, 2008; Acts 2008, No. 746, §1.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom