Two of the most emotionally draining days of my life

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It has been two long days. Too keep it kinda short here is the summary.

My dad has been having a nagging pain in his back for about 4 months. A few weeks ago that pain turned into periodically horrible pains in his back and stomach. Also was constantly tired. He went for a colonoscopy yesterday morning. Around 9:30 my mom called me at work saying they found a large mass in his stomach; most likely cancer. So I go to the BR clinic to see my parents, and my aunt who was with them, as they waited for a CT scan. A few hours later we had a meeting with the surgeon. From what he could tell it is either colon cancer or lymphoma. So as you can expect we were all pretty upset. My mom was a wreck, so I had to remain calm for her. My father was obviously worried but didn't let my mom see that he was. From the look of the scan it was all contained in one region, which was good news considering everything else.

He was booked for surgery this morning. We got to the hospital at 10. Meeting us there was an elder of their church. His talking and prayers really started to get my dad emotional as it all started to hit him. Today was the 3rd time I saw my dad cry, the other 2 times were at funerals. He went into pre-op and did all that. Another of his friends, a strong Christian as well, came by to pray with him. Then another pastor from church not long after. Fast forward a few hours the surgery got pushed back a hour and half. My dads 2sisters and brother in law showed up right before he was about to go in. That is when he really broke and everyone started crying. Once again I felt as if I couldn't because of my mom, so I tried to hold it all in for her. So we all hugged, told my dad I loved him, and he went in for surgery.

It was a fairly fast one. Little over an hour. By that time more family and friends showed up and were ready to hear what the surgeon had to say. We all crammed into one room to talk to him. He said he removed the mass and 14 inches of his colon. Thankfully the surrounding organs did not look infected and he was able to remove it all. We still dont know what kind of cancer, and wont know till pathology on Thursday. Needless to say we all were emotionally drained at this point, which caused my mom to have a mini emotional panic attack.

Ahead is a long recovery time which will be followed with a little round of chemo for good measure. So far everything looks optimistic. It has just been a roller coaster. Having to be faced with the mortality of a parent is something no one my age should be able to face. We know good will come out of this. Just been a long 48 hours.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    Prayers your way man.... Everything sounds positive during this terrible situtation, may the light of the Lord shine upon your father and your family.

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    God, we ask for your peace for this family, and for your reminders of your love to vein their daily lives.
    Encourage their hearts.
    Thank you, Lord, for the peace of your presence.

Top Bottom