ULL student indicted on first-degree murder in death of teen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    A Lafayette Parish grand jury on Thursday charged Fontenot, a freshman at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, with one count of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder.

Means that ol'boy had a deliberate plan to kill someone and did kill someone. If he wasn't out for the others they'll drop it to 2nd degree. Unless his plan was to kill them all.

First degree murder is any murder that is willful and premeditated.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Means that ol'boy had a deliberate plan to kill someone and did kill someone. If he wasn't out for the others they'll drop it to 2nd degree. Unless his plan was to kill them all.

Ehhhh. First degree is a touch more involved than willful and premeditated. Just from the facts in the article (and thats all im going on, im sure there are details that aren't included in the article) it won't make first degree.

Now it does fit second degree IF the prosecution can prove he shot at the vehicle with specific intent to kill.

Btw, no where in the La revised statute does the word "premeditated" appear in speaking about killing someone. What you are looking for is "specific intent to kill".

See LRS 14:30 and 14:30.1

Edit: Now I see that there were two more in the vehicle which would qualify it under the "trying to kill more than one person part." But the prosecution has to prove that he was trying to kill more than one person in that vehicle. NOT shooting at a vehicle with more than one person, but had the specific intent to kill more than one person in that vehicle. Without witnesses or other substantia evidence, that will be impossible. I'm sure it'll get pled down.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Ehhhh. First degree is a touch more involved than willful and premeditated. Just from the facts in the article (and thats all im going on, im sure there are details that aren't included in the article) it won't make first degree.

Now it does fit second degree IF the prosecution can prove he shot at the vehicle with specific intent to kill.

Btw, no where in the La revised statute does the word "premeditated" appear in speaking about killing someone. What you are looking for is "specific intent to kill".

Maybe that's why they are charging him with 1st degree. They know they cannt prove it

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I heard the kids were robbing him and this wasnt the first time they had been caught on his property. Definitely something missing from the story.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Edit: Now I see that there were two more in the vehicle which would qualify it under the "trying to kill more than one person part." But the prosecution has to prove that he was trying to kill more than one person in that vehicle. NOT shooting at a vehicle with more than one person, but had the specific intent to kill more than one person in that vehicle. Without witnesses or other substantia evidence, that will be impossible. I'm sure it'll get pled down.

Maybe that's why they are charging him with 1st degree. They know they cannt prove it

Good point. The Grand Jury definitely thought it worthy though right?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Good point. The Grand Jury definitely thought it worthy though right?

That's the thing about grand juries. They are people just like me or you who probably loathe jury duty. All they do is decide if there is enough to charge somebody. It's not exactly scientific. If the DA or PD believed they had a smoking gun, i'm sure they would've cut a warrant and charged him that way.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Dang if that's true then tough break. I can understand he'd be EXTREMELY pissed, but shooting at a fleeing vehicle (and killing a passenger) is asking for trouble. He'll likely be tried and face severe punishment for his inability to control his emotions. I'm interested to hear the rest of the story.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Killing while engaged in the perpetration of cruelty to juveniles could become 1st degree murder as well.

There are many ways to get 1st degree murder.

I feel bad for him though, but that was a bad choice.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Stupid kids up to no good.

Even if you take the stealing out of it, three 15 year old boys running the streets at 2am is a recipe for disaster, and it looks an awful lot like that's what we have here. And it's illegal.

The 18 year old made a tragic mistake, no doubt. But damn....where were the parents of these little $hits?? Enough things wrong here to make your head spin. :dunno:

Another incident that could have been so easily avoided.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    If they were indeed robbing him/his property, then this happening more often might deter that.
    I've learned that the news is worth about as much as Jersey Shore if you want to know what's going on in the real world. Entertainment for the mindless, only. Too many facts left out, too much fluff emphasized, too many lies to sort.

"Person shot at vehicle with people in it, someone died." is all I got from this.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I'm 1 of the one's of the opinion there's more to the story than what's being told. If he really was only firing warning shots at 3 teens in a truck that were driving away, and he only fired 3 shots as has been reported, how did he manage to hit all 3? I have very limited knowledge and experience with shooting, but even to me that seems like almost impossible odds.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I've been following this story and from what I've gathered, I'm siding with the shooter. He defended his property all the while remaining on his property. Was it premeditated? Hell yes it was. The shooter's property had been looted/vandalized THREE times in the last couple of months alone!! To say he was prepared to handle the situation would be a gross understatement!

Key parts of the story are being left out in order to make the entire situation appear to be something more sinister that it was. First degree murder is the charge only so that it can be reduced in a plea and thereby make the shooter guilty of defending his property instead of receiving an apology from the police for failing to "protect and serve" yet again.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom