Under 21 and still unsure.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmg985

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Ok, so I recently bought a pistol in a private sale and I know that I legally purchased it and can legally have it in my possession. However, are there any stipulations from not buying from an FFL dealer and carrying in your vehicle? I have heard some say keep a copy of the laws with you, is this good advice? And if so, exactly what laws should I keep a copy of?

Do I need any proof of purchase?

I am trying to avoid any complications at all with the police as I am desperately seeking a career with the government and would hate to have something like this ruin my chances.

Since I did not specify, I'm 19.

Any and All help/guidance/wisdom/advice is greatly needed and appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    You're good:

§91. Unlawful sales of weapons to minors

A. Unlawful sales of weapons to minors is the selling or otherwise delivering for value of any firearm or other instrumentality customarily used as a dangerous weapon to any person under the age of eighteen. Lack of knowledge of the minor's age shall not be a defense.

B. Whoever commits the crime of unlawful sales of weapons to minors shall be fined not more than three hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Amended by Acts 1972, No. 704, §1; Acts 1972, No. 768, §5; Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 84, §1; Acts 1995, No. 639, §1; Acts 1996, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 78, §1.
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78703

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If it looks like an officer is going to give you problems or take the gun then just stay cool, don't talk too much, and be polite. After he let's you go if he took the gun it's a good idea to call his dispatcher and tell them the officer took your gun just so there is some kind of record of it. After a few days if no crime was committed you should get it back.

Be particularly careful in the new Orleans area and smaller towns.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    ^What he said. Here's another RS you may want to read:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78747

I am trying to avoid any complications at all with the police as I am desperately seeking a career with the government and would hate to have something like this ruin my chances.

Good deal. Then you know how quickly you could screw it up by doing something stupid. Be careful.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Personally I don't think you need to carry the law around with you. But if it would make you more comfortable, then by all means do so.

It's not your job to argue with the officer. However, after the fact it would be your job to sue the **** out of them Mark Edward Machiafavalava style because the law is on your side.

;)

bigmg985

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Personally I don't think you need to carry the law around with you. But if it would make you more comfortable, then by all means do so.

It's not your job to argue with the officer. However, after the fact it would be your job to sue the **** out of them Mark Edward Machiafavalava style because the law is on your side.

;)

The only reason why I asked that is only because I have heard people mention that idea. But now that I'm thinking about if a LEO already believes I have the gun illegally, chances are a piece of paper won't change his mind.

Thanks for all the advice everyone keep it coming.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The only reason why I asked that is only because I have heard people mention that idea. But now that I'm thinking about if a LEO already believes I have the gun illegally, chances are a piece of paper won't change his mind.

Thanks for all the advice everyone keep it coming.
    Pretty much.

That said, as long as you follow the law even if you run into a cop that doesn't know what you're doing is illegal the charge should be easy to beat.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Would I have to fight a charge? Could they charge me?

IT's all up to the DA. They may illegally arrrest you like in MEMs case or illegally seize your gun like the NOPD was doing before the NRA sued them but you can fight them. If you win I recommend a nice Honda Goldwing.

bigmg985

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    But if I wasn't breaking the law... If I just had a pistol in my car, could they charge me with possession of a firearm?

I really fear that I, knock on wood, will be pulled over and the LEO won't know the laws. I'm a very cautious driver and do my best as any citizen should do to avoid breaking laws and drawing un-wanted/needed attention to myself. I just want to carry in my vehicle when I feel it's necessary but right now I'm afraid to. Sadly, I am doubting my given rights! :(

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    But if I wasn't breaking the law... If I just had a pistol in my car, could they charge me with possession of a firearm?

I really fear that I, knock on wood, will be pulled over and the LEO won't know the laws. I'm a very cautious driver and do my best as any citizen should do to avoid breaking laws and drawing un-wanted/needed attention to myself. I just want to carry in my vehicle when I feel it's necessary but right now I'm afraid to. Sadly, I am doubting my given rights! :(

You can carry it in your car with NO problems. I am only 19 and whenever I am in my truck I have a pistol riding shotgun. If a cop stops you and doesn't know the laws and arrest you, then you have a law suit on your hands for violating your constitiutional right to carry a weapon.

http://louisianacarry.org/faq/index.htm

all the laws and FAQs you need.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

B.(1) On a first conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars and imprisoned for not less than ninety days and not more than six months.

(2) On a second conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars and imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than two years.

(3) On a third or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not more than five years.

(4) A juvenile adjudicated delinquent under this Section, having been previously found guilty or adjudicated delinquent for any crime of violence as defined by R.S. 14:2(B), or attempt or conspiracy to commit any such offense, shall upon a first or subsequent conviction be fined not less than five hundred dollars and not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not less than six months and not more than five years. At least ninety days shall be served without benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any person under the age of seventeen years who is:

(1) Attending a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course.

(2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range.

(3) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the laws of this state.

(4) Traveling to or from any activity described in Paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this Subsection while in possession of an unloaded gun.

(5) On real property with the permission of his parent or legal guardian and with the permission of the owner or lessee of the property.

(6) At such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun.

(7) Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person's parent or legal guardian; provided that such person carries on his person a copy of such written permission.

D. For the purposes of this Section "handgun" means a firearm as defined in R.S. 14:37.2, provided however, that the barrel length shall not exceed twelve inches.

Acts 1999, No. 1218, §1.

Top Bottom