Unexpected Opinion...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    Well we were doing some shooting this past weekend with family and I have been working with the ladies to get them comfortable with bigger bore pistols. My wife and daughter both have become extremely proficient with .22 but I have wanted to move them up to something bigger.

In the past the wife has shot an XD Sub Compact .40 and she doesn't care for the recoil (aka Snap) of the pistol. My daughter on the other after 5-10 rounds seemed to get fairly comfortable shooting a 3" group @ 20-25 feet consistently. Don't **** her off... ;)

Everywhere you look all you see 9mm, 9mm, 9mm. .40 has to much snap, recoil, kick yada yada. Well they both shot a Glock 17 this weekend. My wife didn't care for it and my daughter said... "Ummm I'd rather shoot the XD."

Wait you would rather shoot the XD SC .40? In talking with her she feels that the Glock had more recoil, muzzle lift than the XD. Well that was a truly unexpected opinion and before somebody sticks their foot in their mouth with a "She a girl what does she know" post my daughter have grown up in the outdoors shooting with me for years and is comfortable with firearms.

I also had a young lady shooting her older Beretta 9mm and when she shot the G17 remarked the recoil was much more than the Beretta. After shooting her Beretta I have to agree. Now I am wondering about the G17's recoil and function. Is there any thing that can be done to lessen recoil? Is it because there is less than 200 rds through it? What is another 9mm option for the ladies that manages recoil better?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If another "plastic" gun in 9mm recoils less than a G17 it must be a long slide version. One of several options is to use a heavier guide rod and lighter recoil spring in your G17 in order to have less felt recoil.

Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    So 17lbs is factory spring rating? I found a 11, 13, 15, 17 and higher. From what I read you don't want to go to light... Looking at maybe 13lbs but haven't found a heavy rod. Best place to get these parts?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Try an HK P7. I have turned three small framed women onto the P7 due to it's light recoil, ease of operation, and safety features.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    So 17lbs is factory spring rating? I found a 11, 13, 15, 17 and higher. From what I read you don't want to go to light... Looking at maybe 13lbs but haven't found a heavy rod. Best place to get these parts?

I have them.

Top Bottom