Uninsured vehicle accident

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My wife was having the tires rotated and oil changed on her Expedition at a local tire shop yesterday. Service was complete and an employee parked the vehicle in the parking lot facing the road(their way of letting you know service is complete). When I get there I see the manager and another man looking at the back of her vehicle. He backed into it while it was parked with no one in it. He stopped and told the manager what happened. He did not have proof of insurance, he claimed his wife was renewing it at the time. Which translates to he has no insurance but will get some and try to claim it after the fact. When he renewed his insurance which had lapsed 4 months ago, he told the company he had no accidents, the next day he told them he had a parking lot accident to which his agent replied with you shouldn't pay for anything unless your vehicle is damaged. And that I was responsible for my vehicle.
    Now it is my fault for having a little faith in humanity that the right thing would happen, instead of calling the police where he should have been fined and had his vehicle impounded.
    $2000 in damage and a $500 deductible thanks.

Done with the rant for now.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    My wife was having the tires rotated and oil changed on her Expedition at a local tire shop yesterday. Service was complete and an employee parked the vehicle in the parking lot facing the road(their way of letting you know service is complete). When I get there I see the manager and another man looking at the back of her vehicle. He backed into it while it was parked with no one in it. He stopped and told the manager what happened. He did not have proof of insurance, he claimed his wife was renewing it at the time. Which translates to he has no insurance but will get some and try to claim it after the fact. When he renewed his insurance which had lapsed 4 months ago, he told the company he had no accidents, the next day he told them he had a parking lot accident to which his agent replied with you shouldn't pay for anything unless your vehicle is damaged. And that I was responsible for my vehicle.
    Now it is my fault for having a little faith in humanity that the right thing would happen, instead of calling the police where he should have been fined and had his vehicle impounded.
    $2000 in damage and a $500 deductible thanks.

Done with the rant for now.

Sounds like you and the driver got screwed by the Insurance company... They will do whatever they can to avoid paying. The driver should pay... as stated above... now its a civil matter, sue.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Now it is my fault for having a little faith in humanity that the right thing would happen, instead of calling the police where he should have been fined and had his vehicle impounded. $2000 in damage and a $500 deductible thanks.

Sounds like a lesson learned the long way around. In cases like this uninsured motorist coverage is worth the price you pay for it. Unfortunately you still would have been left holding the bag had you called the cops, but at least he would have had to play games too.

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    I tell my family to always call the police. Look at the back of your Insurance card and prob says call police. Even if you don't get a dime from insurance or person, with a police report you can sue or maybe write it off your tax as a loss.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Have you called your insurance? He's absolutely responsible for the damages (obviously), and as long as you carry uninsured motorist, your insurance company will likely be able to work it out with him, or his company. We had to file an uninsured motorist claim a few months ago, and although we're still waiting to be reimbursed for our deductible, we've been taken care of and were told that when our company goes after the driver, we're entitled to the first $500 to re-pay us.

That said, I don't know how I would handle the date thing. I'm an honest person, so I don't think I would lie to my company about when it happened vs. when his coverage started up again, but I would probably feel bad knowing I put somebody in that situation... but then again, he's the one that got himself there.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I was under the imperssion officers don't come out for parking lot fender benders, and that it had to occur on the road. Not accurate?

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    You can always file a report, even in a private parking complex.

Right. Years ago I had someone hit me in a parking lot and was basically told (paraphrasing here) "I would need to come to the station to fill out a report, officers don't go out to parking lot accidents". I should have included more detail in the first post.

seawolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    North Baton Rouge
    They do come out for accidents in parking lots. Its called a damage to property call.

It should have been called in no matter what the other person says. That way their statement is on file.

This is one of those cases where the nice guy finishes last and why our insurance rates are so high. If he knew he didn't have insurance, he knows he should have never been allowed behind the wheel. I'm sure that was a condition of employment with his boss.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Regardless of what anyone says on an accident scene, I always call the cops. Unless the shop has security cameras, it's a game of he-said-she-said here on out if you ever want to file with your insurance regarding the matter.

Sorry you're dealing with that. My car got hit in a parking lot a few weeks ago and no note was left. $1800 to pop a dent out. The dent is staying.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My wife just got out of the insurance business. We have uninsured motorist coverage and they will try to collect from him my $500 deductible will be the first to be repaid.
    Tomorrow he will get a call stating that he has been dropped from his insurance coverage hence my wife just got out of the insurance business.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    LA 32:867 provides for enforcing the insurance laws on private property used for commercial purposes, so a no insurance violation and accompanying impoundment could have taken place had police been called. Whether or not a state crash form is completed or just an in-house report depends upon the agency policy.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    LA 32:867 provides for enforcing the insurance laws on private property used for commercial purposes, so a no insurance violation and accompanying impoundment could have taken place had police been called. Whether or not a state crash form is completed or just an in-house report depends upon the agency policy.

Like I said, he still would have been assed out financially but at least the dude who hit him would have gotten his due issue on the front end.

Top Bottom