Upcoming Changes - Newsletter, etc

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    Obama and Hillary are gone. The gun grab scare is over. Let the PEOPLE open up dialogue on the real, not perceived, value of the items posted so the second hand market can correct itself.

I can only speak for myself but, while I’m largely a lurker on this site and only comment when it seems appropriate, the quality of posts and discussions has gone downhill the last few years. It just feels like the life has been sucked out of what was once a very informative and entertaining site.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't like this 10 posts per page stuff. I want to read my threads with as little clicking as possible. There isn't any reason why you can't set the default (which was 20 before) to 10 and allowed registered accounts to choose their own preferences. Google bots don't edit their display preferences.

In fact, the only reason you would want to switch to 10 per page is to get more ad impressions from page loads. As an advertiser, I agree with this method. However, as a premium user who doesn't see ads anyway, I find the change annoying and pointless.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I do. And it's a pretty big one. It's a site that's dedicated to the "ar15". Most of the replies are "I'll take the <whatever>" or "PM sent" or "is it still available?" The people replying seem to be well behaved. It would not surprise me if the mods keep the jerks in line.

Another pretty big one. Mostly dedicated to Glocks. I was just reading the replies to for sale ads and couldn’t find anything outta line.

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    So you are saying you know the single and only reason why I am doing this. Ads? I am happy to try and find a solution for premium members, etc however you are dead wrong on the rest and will not get into that at all. Will report back on what I can do. I think there is away to allow certain usergroups to choose. Will let everyone know.

I don't like this 10 posts per page stuff. I want to read my threads with as little clicking as possible. There isn't any reason why you can't set the default (which was 20 before) to 10 and allowed registered accounts to choose their own preferences. Google bots don't edit their display preferences.

In fact, the only reason you would want to switch to 10 per page is to get more ad impressions from page loads. As an advertiser, I agree with this method. However, as a premium user who doesn't see ads anyway, I find the change annoying and pointless.

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    You did say it
    "In fact, the only reason you would want to switch to 10 per page is to get more ad impressions from page loads."

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    I am doing what is best all around for the forum as best possible. What you say is that you seem to know everything about how all this works. Wrong. That's OK though, have that opinion, sound wide on this matter, I will go with the kind and very diverse group of forum owners and what they have studied for many forums that are literally 10 times to 20 times larger than this.

Their advice is great, good news I don't have to fully understand or research this, simply understand their data, see why they think so and make that change. Like buying something, reviews are great before purchase. That's what makes that relationship in that community of folks great. Share info to help others. I will assume most folks will be OK at 10 since most forums are set at 10. However adding the option for those that need it at 20 no issues. Whether it is great for ads, whatever, their study had nothing to do with that. Ads is an obvious reason to change. I knew that day 1 being here. The changes we are making seen and not seen are for the overall good 100%.

I can assure you 10 per page does not ruin the forum.

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    Clarification:
    The classifieds, my intention was not to bring back replies to the ads, not that I mind, I was going to have a developer make the Ad area nicer, featured image shown in thread view next to each ad, some added features like that based on some custom ad areas I have seen others have. I will make a separate post when it comes time to chat on, want to get some feedback as to what will be best.

Loudog

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Replies to classifies would be Great! Would help in avoiding having to answer the same question multiple times. There will always be jerks just have to have a pretty strick policy.

Most arguments stem from the seller believing what they paid for the item is what it's worth...nothing you can do about that besides move on.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I think allowing replies on sales isn't a good idea. I know if I post something for sale and someone has the public opportunity to criticize, critique, offer jerk commentary, etc., my days of attempting to sell on here will quickly end and I'll probably drop out for good. I know of no other forum (I'm a member in 6 I think) that allows this. It comes down to this: if you don't like the price, seller, or item - don't buy the item(s) or read the post. If you feel the overwhelming urge to interfere in others business, then PM them.

Various larger forums allow commenting on classifieds; from guns, to boats, to cars. Our members are, ostensibly, even keeled enough to possess and sell firearms but can't be trusted with a keyboard? Or, sellers can't handle dissenting free market opinions like adults? That makes a great argument for critics of gun ownership, never mind the fact that it supports the "majority good have to suffer for the minority bad" crowd.

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I am doing what is best all around for the forum as best possible. What you say is that you seem to know everything about how all this works. Wrong. That's OK though, have that opinion, sound wide on this matter, I will go with the kind and very diverse group of forum owners and what they have studied for many forums that are literally 10 times to 20 times larger than this.

Their advice is great, good news I don't have to fully understand or research this, simply understand their data, see why they think so and make that change. Like buying something, reviews are great before purchase. That's what makes that relationship in that community of folks great. Share info to help others. I will assume most folks will be OK at 10 since most forums are set at 10. However adding the option for those that need it at 20 no issues. Whether it is great for ads, whatever, their study had nothing to do with that. Ads is an obvious reason to change. I knew that day 1 being here. The changes we are making seen and not seen are for the overall good 100%.

I can assure you 10 per page does not ruin the forum.

Publicly admonishing members who express concern for a community, that they take pride in, is pretty low brow. If the man was wrong in his appraisal, simply explaining the underlying reason for changing things would have been much more productive. That was a missed opportunity to provide accurate information to every other member reading this thread. The way such affairs are handled means the difference between a 1 truck widget business and a flourishing conglomerate. It is worth noting that forums "10 times to 20 times larger" are referenced. Perhaps their guidance should go beyond technical advice and include public relations. There is a reason they are the more prosperous forums, by comparison. Decorum is the big difference between Judge Judy and SCOTUS. Which is aspired?
    It is never advisable to attack constituents or customers; the high road should be taken in an environment where public perception matters. Readers are left to wonder if they, too, are viewed with contempt. Would you patronize a restaurant that "dressed down" someone in a crowded dining room? "Praise publicly, criticize in confidence."
    The worst part is that it wasn't an isolated intemperate reply; there are three separate public posts over a 30 minute window. That is some Jerry Springer **** there. Suburbazine's reply is in a p.m., like it should be. I thought admins and moderators were responsible for bringing civility when needed, not needing diplomacy meted from members. I.T. is not the only aspect of this site that could be improved.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    1st we need to understand what suggestions are wanted for:

Improving the classifieds for the members OR making the mods responsibility easier?

What is the goal exactly?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Publicly admonishing members who express concern for a community, that they take pride in, is pretty low brow. If the man was wrong in his appraisal, simply explaining the underlying reason for changing things would have been much more productive. That was a missed opportunity to provide accurate information to every other member reading this thread. The way such affairs are handled means the difference between a 1 truck widget business and a flourishing conglomerate. It is worth noting that forums "10 times to 20 times larger" are referenced. Perhaps their guidance should go beyond technical advice and include public relations. There is a reason they are the more prosperous forums, by comparison. Decorum is the big difference between Judge Judy and SCOTUS. Which is aspired?
    It is never advisable to attack constituents or customers; the high road should be taken in an environment where public perception matters. Readers are left to wonder if they, too, are viewed with contempt. Would you patronize a restaurant that "dressed down" someone in a crowded dining room? "Praise publicly, criticize in confidence."
    The worst part is that it wasn't an isolated intemperate reply; there are three separate public posts over a 30 minute window. That is some Jerry Springer **** there. Suburbazine's reply is in a p.m., like it should be. I thought admins and moderators were responsible for bringing civility when needed, not needing diplomacy meted from members. I.T. is not the only aspect of this site that could be improved.

suburbazine called out the mods for making the change for the sole reason of showing more ads. puritanize's reply was simple but stated suburbazine was wrong in his assessment. The reply went on to explain suburbazine might be able to keep things the way he likes them even if the default changes. Once he was informed he was not correct in his assessment, suburbazine elected to communicate through PMs. Based on puritanize's next post, it appears suburbazine attempted to backtrack on his initial claim. puritanize's post appears to have once again corrected suburbazine. So after being told and then shown he was wrong, suburbazine corrected his assessment of the situation, right? Wrong. He continued. Based on what appears to be puritanize's reply to a PM from suburbanize, puritanize explained the decision was being made in the best interest of everyone. It would appear suburbanize again incorrectly assessed the situation and was again corrected. This time puritanize indicated he may be through with trying to provide suburbanize with the correct information as evidenced by the comment about it being ok to spread the wrong information. And again, rather than correct his assessment, suburbanize just sent another PM. This time, puritanize appears to have acknowledged it was sent but did not address it.

suburbanize wasn't expressing concern for the community. He started by publicly admonishing the mods for making the change for monetary reasons. He followed up with trying to save face by trying to change what he had claimed. I applaud puritanize for keeping things public and transparent. If they are discussing the changes and the reasons behind the changes, suburbanize was wrong for calling people out in public then running away to a PM. puritanize's posts were topical relative to this thread.

Here's a more accurate restaurant example. A customer walks in and sees a sign that the restaurant would be remodeling the following week. So rather than finding a manager and speaking to them off-line, he starts walking around and telling everyone the restaurant is only doing that to make more money. The owner goes to the guy and explains that isn't the reason but if the guy likes a specific table in a specific spot, that may be possible after the remodel. The customer then never said the remodeling was to make more money. Once the owner shows the guy the surveillance tape where he did say it, the guy still claims the change is to make money. The owner explains to the guy he's wrong again but it's ok. He further explains to the guy there is new furniture being installed to make the restaurant look nice to the customers and that the new furniture won't ruin the restaurant.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good, if you guys want to guess at the content of PMs, feel free to PM me for a copy of my PM (but not the response). Otherwise, don't guess at the PM :D

Also, don't assume I don't have extensive technical background in SEO.

A PM keeps the peace. Publicly explaining my challenge (for "transparency") would not have a beneficial purpose...but if Puritanize and you wish to make my PM public you may do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    Good, if you guys want to guess at the content of PMs, feel free to PM me for a copy of my PM (but not the response). Otherwise, don't guess at the PM :D

Also, don't assume I don't have extensive technical background in SEO.

A PM keeps the peace. Publicly explaining my challenge (for "transparency") would not have a beneficial purpose...but if Puritanize and you wish to make my PM public you may do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never made your PM public, what are you talking about? What you and I said was 100% us and I think ended well. thperez1972 said what he said because of you original post. You shared publicly your view, can he not share his.

I am closing this thread. Folks trying to make some quality fixes around here, I love feedback so send me a PM please if you have any.

Thanks

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom