Upcoming Weapon System

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Good Day Everyone,

Here is sneak peak information of a new weapon system coming out. It will go public via Novembers issue of Tactical Weapons Magazine.

Long Range Interdiction System - LRIS
    This system is the most advanced long range sniper system in the world. SDS has developed a new rifle platform and a one of a kind automated ballistic targeting system that will allow you to take shots at ranges that were previously impossible. Our system is divided by two parts, the weapon and the ballistic targeting computer program.

“Minotaur” Rifle System
    The Minotaur is an advanced multiple caliber bolt action weapon system. The Minotaur was designed from the ground up to combine ultra long range engagements and hard target interdiction engagements into 1 weapon system, so the calibers are very specific to those 2 very different mission scopes. SDS chose the 50BMG cartridge for the HTI type engagements due to it's ammunition features. The 50BMG abilities have been proven time and time again in numerous countries and military operations. SDS chose to use a brand new cartridge that the head of our Advanced Weapons Division consulted on this for the past few years for the ULR engagement system. This caliber has the same bolt face as the 50BMG so no bolt or magazine change is needed in order the change the Minotaur's engagement type, only barrel needs be changed. ----The 375SOP was designed from the very beginning to combine a new case with a new projectile to achieve maximum efficiency and effectiveness. In doing so we now have a cartridge that is supersonic at 3500m plus. The 375SOP incorporates the BMG bolt face, it incorporates a new proprietary propellant, and holds a 414gr weight projectile that is .375 diameters and has a muzzle velocity of 3400+fps.

LRIS program
    The LRIS system is a state of the art program that calculates all data in real time to formulate a firing solution automatically. Our system along with the Minotaur allows the sniper team to make shots that are impossible for any other rifle in existence. SDS has integrated a Doppler base system that will take readings for atmospheric conditions and combine that with a real time satellite or UAV feeds. This will give the team a real time topographical firing solution. The system then sends the firing solution to the SDS custom scope that will automatically adjust the scopes elevation and wind to the correct firing solution position. Our special rounds that are used with the Minotaur system will incorporate RFID technology. As the round is fired, the system will calculate it’s trajectory. If the trajectory is off by a predetermined amount, then it will alert the sniper instantaneously. This allows the re-calibrated shot to be fired down range before the first has hit the target.

LRIS system with Rifle and WSID card
    See pics---

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
      Picture1.jpg
      30.3 KB · Views: 155
    • Picture2.jpg
      Picture2.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 175

Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    I'm glad to finally be able to talk about the new system, its been a long time coming.

IF you only knew how much time and money went into just projectile design/alloy/construction alone lololol, much less the tech side with the LRIS fire control system :) Not counting new cartridge design, new propellant design, new action, barrel and stock design :)

More crap has changed thru out this systems 3 year life than I ever thought possible. Once 1 single component changed even slightly then all the other components had to be changed and tested. On and On and On!!

Thanks

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Another botique cartridge matched to a commercially non-viable system. Yawn. I bet Crane buys like 2 of'em. Neat. But I only went to SOTIC once and I'm not a Contactor.

Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Another botique cartridge matched to a commercially non-viable system. Yawn. I bet Crane buys like 2 of'em. Neat. But I only went to SOTIC once and I'm not a Contactor.

Correct!! O but so was the 338LM back in the day(before it got LM added to it). As well as the 408CT received same comments back when the testing of it first released :)
    It is a good thing for boutique minded people or we would all still be chunking spears.

Thanks

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Having carried rifles in austere conditions and shot folks with them I'll pass on things that need satellite uplinks to function. Sat Comms barely work and they have been around for 20 years. .338LM isn't linked to a Ballistics Computer System. Just my 2 cents not that you asked but I can take The HORUS system and do just about everything I need to do. The problem is it often isn't fast enough when setting up to take the kind of snap shots that often develop. I wish you guys the best but I have seen about a dozen Best Sniper Systems EVER come and go in my time.

Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Nobody said you had to use the tech every trigger pull but biggest thing is you are confusing ELR and HTI applications with DDM tactics and applications. The tactics and sop are just as different as the targets themselves, just changing weapon to bigger one and attempting to transpose tactics from one type to other type is never going to work.

Thanks

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Using acronyms and jargon the rest of the audience doesnt understand is called big leaguing and is considered poor manners. Im sure your proud of the work you put in on this thing. You have a point of view and you like it. Based on the info you posted I'll pass. But I'm just an end user and one who thinks NSW needs to focus more on their indians and less on their arrows.

Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    **** so I suppose to spell all the words out now??
    Poor manners on your part then by typing NSW instead of Naval Special Warfare, don't won't to be seen as big leagueing would you!

Thanks

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    VG is dead on, as far as I'm concerned. I rocked out to 1200 with a M40A3 with fixed 10X and a solar calculator. Some developments in the "Precision Rifle" market have been great for the operator, but the more batteries and crap we have to rely on in the rear is the more we are vulnerable to tech failure and break-down in the bush.

Don't get me wrong, I love the high speed- low drag, tech wiz-bang stuff as much as the next grunt, but reality is Murphy's Law is a bitch. Sat com sux 50+ % of the time and stuff gets wet, stomped on, and so on and so forth. There is no such thing as grunt-proof. I guess I'm old school, but its hard to beat a good bolt gun, mil-dot or horus reticle, and a solar calc or mil dot master. Lots of bad guys met their end by those means.

How many members of the development team were actual .MIL MOSed Snipers with real time in country and validated operational experience? I'm talking full time members of the team, not consaultants that were met with every few months? I think sometines development teams do a great job in R and D ing a system, but it is done by a bunch of Engineers and Rocket Surgons. Those guys mean well and put out great systems and really drive the inovation on the R and D side of the industry, but the lack of constant "boots on the ground" imput makes the system impractical for the real world tactical environment. Grunts are Keep It Simple Stupid type guys, or at least I was. I want to carry the lightest and least amount of stuff I can to make kills out as far as I can.

As far as Hard Target Interdiction..... Sounds like a fire mission to me.

Good luck on the system. Like I said, Im all for the R and D you guys do. Ya'll really do drive that aspect of the industry. I look forward to seeing more on it.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Our special rounds that are used with the Minotaur system will incorporate RFID technology. As the round is fired, the system will calculate it’s trajectory. If the trajectory is off by a predetermined amount, then it will alert the sniper instantaneously. This allows the re-calibrated shot to be fired down range before the first has hit the target.

LRIS system with Rifle and WSID card
    See pics---

Thanks

This is where I get lost. RFID? as in radio frequency identification? How is that going to give you feedback for your processor to calculate trajectory changes?

I don't know much about long range shooting and am just getting my feet wet in medium distances so let me see if I understand this correctly. The LSIR takes in data from instrumentation on the rifle and available data from external sources and calculates correct elevation and windage holdovers. It then uses the information to adjust the scope reticle. I can understand that much. Based on the block diagram it appears there is a laser ranging device mounted on the forearm so at the very least you have range comming into the cpu. There is an onboard doplar system to measure wind direction and you can also glean info from satellite and uav feeds?

Okay doplar system I get. The processor will be crunching through the mathematical model to come up with how the wind affects your trajectory. But to take live satellite and uav feeds? That would require some processing power to do digital image processing like that i would think. My big question would be what is the response time from the moment the LSIR system is initialized till when the processor finishes the calculations. Then how long s does it take the motors on the windage and elevation knobs to adjust to.... lets say 1/3 of the available windage and elevation adjustment range. And finally what is its power requirements and operational battery life. I can only surmise that this system would not be on all the time. It would do its calculations, come up with a the necessary adjustments, make them, and them go into standby mode. How does this system activate? Is there a button on the trigger guard? And the really big one: what feedback is used to calculate the trajectory as the round is fired?

Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Good Day,

Naval Special Warfare doesnt have a problem with their Indians but they do foresee and have seen a situation that is becoming a bigger and bigger problem for the Indians and the arrows they are equipped with. And that problem is they are out gunned ballistically by International Special Forces that up until recently we had been training in regards to operations and tactics, but they went a step further and while it was ITAR compliant they purchased weapon systems that ballistically spank ours and had that company spend shitloads of time training them in the "shooting" aspects of such systems. Now couple that shooting knowledge with USA instructed operations and tactics knowledge and equals bad day for our lil Indians.

Whether we like to say it or not...Far many a countries have better weapons systems than our guys in regards to ballistical abilities and their experience of utilizing those ballistics. Case in point..VG how many beyond 2000m shots did you train while at Special Operations Target Interdiction Command? Yet I can provide you with a list of several countries (all USA Military trained in operations and tactics and USA Company trained in Extreme Long Range shooting) that have dedicated 2000m+ extreme long range sniper courses.

Ta2d..direct answer to your .Mil is 3 of the 4 and man we talking well beyond 1200m :) and Fire missions are not always the best answer scenario.

FishingFool...I will get the complete details of that for you. I dont want to advise you of incorrect information. I can tell you that the firing control system is loaded onto my CF18 toughbook and that is the only "other" item I have to carry besides the extra 13 ounces of "equipment" on the weapon itself. And I can put the doppler system onto the mini UAV or use the doplar incorporated into the "system".

Thanks

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I know a dude that may or may not have designed this with Arduino and off the shelf sensors. Total cost... Less than $500 bucks. I think he came to the conclusion that Horus was quicker, cheaper, and more reliable.

It seems to me, and I'm no expert, but things are trending toward autonomous aircraft. I mean, it's not implausible that guys in Colorado might be pressing buttons and sending precision shots downrange at some point in time.

Do you have video of it in action? Soldier systems report?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    SOTIC at leas the one I went to stands for Special Operations Target Interdiction Course. And we did some long as hell shots. Whilst we are questioning each others backgrounds how many beyond 2000M shots have you made operationally? I have been doing this for a minute in a few different places and I have never had to make a shot beyond a 1500M. Never. If its that far away and it needs to die there are better more accurate means to do it.

Im not calling you out or questioning your CVA but I think that your looking at a niche within a niche within a niche. I spent a couple years at SORDC. That's the Special Operations Research and Development Committee. We looked at lots of niche guns and niche ammo and we tested and evaluated several of them. What our customers brought back to us was that they frankly weren't interested. They wanted .308, .300WM, .338LM, and .50. That's pretty much it. For ballistic computers they wanted what we gave them which was the HORUS System. Beyond that everything else lacked missions and was too cognitively cumbersome.

As to your claims about International SOF....********. I have shot with, trained, and been shot at by all kinds of International SOF. Frankly if you don't speak English as your native tongue you suck. The Canadians, Brits, Aussies, and US are great. NATO is ok, I have yet to see a threat nation or group field a single credible sniper much less bunches of them. Hell even the guys we train like the Colombians and Phillipinos suck.

Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    RGR RGR,

I put "Command" as in the Committee and instructors themselves, hence why I said "train" and not learn as in student in course. I am well aware of your background IF same VG from the "hide". We have spoken on numerous occassions.

You should research the SOF Teams that gather at the Czech International Meet or the Finland Lapua Championship Meet or the results from KASOTC International Warrrior Competition.

Answer to your 2000+ operational shoots for me, never but I am not close minded enough to say they are not there and/or not being done.

Thanks

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Here are some legitimate questions.

1. How do the RFID tags handle the rotational forces
    2. How are you constructing the rounds with RFID inside
    3. How are you correcting for ammo velocity / weight variance
    4. Are you using chamber pressure sensors or ammo temp sensors
    5. How do you compensate for barrel fouling or heat
    6. How do shooters react to miss alerts on a bolt action platform, most long range shooters I know watch the impact
    7. What is the battery life of the system
    8. Why a laptop instead of an integrated system
    9. Is the system recording shots, what are you doing with the data
    10. Are you using a standard scope and adjusting turrets with steppers? Or digital overlay
    11. How are you getting wind data at 1000 and 1500 ?
    12. Wired or wireless communication?
    13. What happens if a single sensor fails
    14. Gyro stabilized gun?

Serious questions looking for serious answers

Thanks

Top Bottom