UPDATE - Florida Non Resident IS VALID

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHOLMES

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Chalmette, La
    Wow, I've never participated in a pro-rights forum that was so quick to censure discussion and close off a thread.

I admit that I am new and came to this site based on this one issue of the Florida Non-resident CC permits.

Well since I can no longer post in the other threads, I'll put the info here.

The State has rescinded it's ban on Florida Non-resident CC permits and will now honor them. They realized that the procedure was incorrect and will address the issue in the upcoming Legislative session next year. Here's the e-mail I received today from Mr. Reavis:

"Mr. Holmes,

In review of the statute discrepancy, Col. Edmonson has rescinded the amended reciprocal agreement. We expect this issue to be addressed in the upcoming legislative session. As for now, Louisiana will honor all Florida permits.

Please feel free to contact my office if you have any other questions.

-Sgt. Clay Reavis"

Here's my question: To those that support not honoring the Fl non-resident CC permits based the lower training requirements, do you also support not having any reciprocal agreement with Fl since their residents only get the same training?

Thanks.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow. Let me be the first to say welcome, awesome 2nd post, and.......

Thank god LouisianaShooter was banned. LOL

Glad to see they did the right thing. Point is, they are trying to do it right. Take from it what you want, but it appears as though the action has been delayed.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    The LSP website has taken down its previous notice of not honoring non-resident FL permits.

To everyone who said they wanted a grace period, it appears you now have one. The Legislature convenes its regular session on March 29, 2010. Barring a Special Session on this issue, you've got five (5) months notice (probably a little longer, but you can’t go wrong by going with the earlier date). Now we’ve all got to hope the Legislature does not mess with any other portion of the program.

fml

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    shreveport or therebouts
    Fla. CCW Ok In La. NOW. Decision was Reversed.

I was just informed the law has been reversed and shelved ! I will provied the name of the Rrep. that help make this happen today. Thanks

Last edited:

CHOLMES

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Chalmette, La
    I'm going to add my newbie (to this forum-not this issue) 2 cents.

As far as a grace period, I believe that those that have these permits and obtained them in good faith under the existing laws should be grandfathered in for the remaining period on their permits. Any change in the law could simply provide that permits issued after XX date will no longer be honored. I believe that this would be a fair compromise and allow those folks to get their full money's worth out of their permit since they complied with the La law at the time they got their permit.

If the main justification for not wanting to honor these permits is the FL training requirements, then those pushing to ban the non-resident permits should just as strongly push to end the reciprocal agreement with Fl since their residents have the same exact training requirements. Any argument otherwise is disingenuous and hints of another agenda in the push to ban only the non-resident permits.

How do you justify allowing a half-mil Fl residents to carry in La, but think its unsafe for a few thousand non-residents?

I really would like to get some civil discussion on the issue so I can see all points of view.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for changing the title for me.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I hope those of you who said "it ain't gonna happen" will take this as a hint to get it done before it does happen for good.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The LSP website has taken down its previous notice of not honoring non-resident FL permits.

To everyone who said they wanted a grace period, it appears you now have one. The Legislature convenes its regular session on March 29, 2010. Barring a Special Session on this issue, you've got five (5) months notice (probably a little longer, but you can’t go wrong by going with the earlier date). Now we’ve all got to hope the Legislature does not mess with any other portion of the program.

THIS

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm going to add my newbie (to this forum-not this issue) 2 cents.

As far as a grace period, I believe that those that have these permits and obtained them in good faith under the existing laws should be grandfathered in for the remaining period on their permits. Any change in the law could simply provide that permits issued after XX date will no longer be honored. I believe that this would be a fair compromise and allow those folks to get their full money's worth out of their permit since they complied with the La law at the time they got their permit.

If the main justification for not wanting to honor these permits is the FL training requirements, then those pushing to ban the non-resident permits should just as strongly push to end the reciprocal agreement with Fl since their residents have the same exact training requirements. Any argument otherwise is disingenuous and hints of another agenda in the push to ban only the non-resident permits.

How do you justify allowing a half-mil Fl residents to carry in La, but think its unsafe for a few thousand non-residents?

I really would like to get some civil discussion on the issue so I can see all points of view.

Thanks.

It is not only a training issue. in the closed thread, we discussed there is a morew important background check consistency issue. When you are a LA resident, parts of your criminal history resides in LA sometimes. Fl does their residents, and we do ours. If we start letting FL do ours via the non-0resdient process, we lose a level of integrity within the background check system.

Again, and again, it is not a perfect system by any stretch, but it is what we have to work with.

meisal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 30, 2007
    Benton, LA
    Great news!:)
    This is all that most of us wanted. A time frame in which to get our Louisiana permit.
    I just filled out my app. As far as the training issue. A lot of us have taken the approved Louisiana course. We chose Florida because it looked like a better deal for the bucks. That's all. My wife and I will have our Louisiana apps in the mail asap.

CHOLMES

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Chalmette, La
    I don't know about Utah, but I would assume any such action with them would also not be in keeping with the current statutes also.

I, as much as anyone, don't want the Legislature digging around the program either and do not want to see any detrimental effects to the CC laws.

I do believe a fair compromise could be worked out that will limit the amount of "legislative exposure" and untimately satisfy both sides of this issue. That fair compromise would be a grandfathering in of those existing non-resident CC permit holders until the expiration date of their permit.

This way, the non-resident permit holders would get what they paid for and would then ultimately have to move into the La system for a continuation of their permit.

What do ya'll think? Would this be an acceptable solution that could get the change done without totally stirring the hornets nest?

Top Bottom