*UPDATE* post #31 ...Army Bans High-Performance Rifle Mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    *UPDATE* - 6-7-12 = http://www.military.com/daily-news/...ays-no-ban-on-rifle-magazines.html?ESRC=eb.nl

Army Bans High-Performance Rifle Mags

The Army has ordered that soldiers may use only government-issued magazines with their M4 carbines, a move that effectively bans one of the most dependable and widely used commercial-made magazines on today’s battlefield.

and I'm pretty sure the first comment sums this all up;

I bet this comes from the fact the manufacturer of the "authorized" mags is unhappy they are losing business. Way to put money above troop safety and effectiveness.

Ska'doosh!

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    TACOM. A horribly unfunny joke. My bet is most Battallion Level and down Commanders choose to ignore this guidance. The PMag isnt nearly as reliable as that article would have you believe though.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    This comes from troops reading BS reveiws and using el cheapo BS magazines... Some of these guys need to stick with what they got and only way to enforce that is ALL need to.... I've seen a couple Beta mags in places they shouldn't.... I'm willing to bet this is more what it's about.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    TACOM. A horribly unfunny joke. My bet is most Battallion Level and down Commanders choose to ignore this guidance. The PMag isnt nearly as reliable as that article would have you believe though.

What mag do you find works best? I've never had problems with pmags but I know I haven't put them through the hell that the military ones go through.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    What mag do you find works best? I've never had problems with pmags but I know I haven't put them through the hell that the military ones go through.

Lancers, will be his answer.

I've been meaning to pick up more-- the handful of earlier generation ones that I have are great, but I haven't made the effort to pick up the latest versions.

I *have* had PMAGs fail, and no-- they were not poorly maintained or anything of that nature. Double-feed during a carbine match being the most notable-- although I also despise their slow/sticky fall from the mag well. Spent the better part of an evening with some sand paper taking care of that issue on most of mine...

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Lancers, will be his answer.

I've been meaning to pick up more-- the handful of earlier generation ones that I have are great, but I haven't made the effort to pick up the latest versions.

I *have* had PMAGs fail, and no-- they were not poorly maintained or anything of that nature. Double-feed during a carbine match being the most notable-- although I also despise their slow/sticky fall from the mag well. Spent the better part of an evening with some sand paper taking care of that issue on most of mine...

Good I just bought some Lancers from Botach last week.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This comes from troops reading BS reveiws and using el cheapo BS magazines... Some of these guys need to stick with what they got and only way to enforce that is ALL need to.... I've seen a couple Beta mags in places they shouldn't.... I'm willing to bet this is more what it's about.

That's what I had read as well. Less informed guys in the field were buying crap mags (Tapco, etc) because hey, they're plastic so they must be good. Not to mention the PMags haven't lived up to the hype.

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Running a zero range a few weeks ago, our BN CDR had a failure to feed with a PMAG. First failure I've seen in them in garrison or combat.

My company doesn't have any authorized mags, the Supply SGT ordered all PMAG's for BII so now we have to order new mags for everyone.

eSKay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    Bossier City, LA
    No Pmags have never been standard issue.

"Big Army" may have never issued them, but that doesn't mean commanders and units haven't been buying them for their troops. I'm staring at three big Magpul boxes full of Pmags as I type this in Afghailand. Trust me, they'll be issued out and used for the remainder of this deployment.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    "Big Army" may have never issued them, but that doesn't mean commanders and units haven't been buying them for their troops. I'm staring at three big Magpul boxes full of Pmags as I type this in Afghailand. Trust me, they'll be issued out and used for the remainder of this deployment.
    What I meant was I would not hold your breath waiting on super dicount 4 dollar pmags due to rule change because they have never been standard issue. Like em or not I'd like to think as Soldiers we follow orders if you like them or not. Have what your suposed to have.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

I like the Lancers and GI Mags. The Lancers have proven to be far more durable and reliable than PMAGS. Of the Magpul products the EMAG is far and away superior to the PMAG. PMAGs fail fairly often. Usually spread feed lips. In our recent Viking Tactics Class one shooter had 7 bad PMAGs.

Top Bottom