Updates and Improvements Part 3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Holy hell! What color should I be expecting my bar to be after a month of my crap? :ugh:

Depends whether or not people are liking your crap :P It will turn red though if you reach 20 negative likes with no positive likes ;)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So every time I disprove or debunk the usual suspects; what will stop them from sabotaging my exemplary I-reputation? :run:
    For some reason I just don't see this happening...but if it comes to it, I can manually fix things :)

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Thanks for adding the Thumbs-Up/Thumbs Down. As a whole, the improvements (as compared to this time a year ago) make the site more user friendly.

My most-used feature is the "New Posts". I try to log in daily and catch up to what's going on. I enjoy the classifieds but usually see everything thru the New Posts and don't need to separately go to the classifieds listings. I'll agree with other posters that the search feature needs changing/improvement, in that I can't find some of my own posts - they don't show up even though I know the title of the thread. For instance I look for a thread I started "Metro Arms American Classic II - My search for a .45" or any combination of these words and it won't show up. I can go to my username posts and scroll thru and eventually come to it. Wonder why it's like that?

Otherwise, Keep up the good work!

largo44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    KEY LARGO FLA
    I like having all the firearms in the classifieds in one forum but would like to see a 'filter by' list for both location and category of firearm. The location could be determined by so many mile from your location or simply 5 or 6 general area of the state. If I'm looking for something rear, I'd drive across the state to get it but if I'm looking for a 22 I just want something local. Firearms could be categorized when listed (i.e. rifles, pistols, shotguns, rimfire) as suggested but I would also add 'cowboy' for cowboy action shooters and maybe 'tactical/military rifles' such as AR's and AK's. Again just a way to filter the list not have different forums.

If nothing changes, this is still a great forum. Thanks

what if they split the state in four sections NE/SE--NW/SW--all post would go into daily post and you could also look up by sector

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    what if they split the state in four sections NE/SE--NW/SW--all post would go into daily post and you could also look up by sector

It only takes several minutes to read all the new classifieds on BS every morning.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think this is entirely fair to the people who have paid money to advertise their services here.

I know the topic has moved away from this, but I'm just now checking the thread again.

I can see how paid sponsors may see this as unfair, but I don't see it really taking away from their business. Plus, paid advertisers get banner ads and their name all over the site. Someone offering a service would be relying on a person visiting the service board, seeing their thread, and needing that service. The exposure is a mere fraction of what a paid sponsor gets.

What if there was a guy out there who did really great wood engraving work. He doesn't have the money, time or work load to open his own shop. If he posted his service on bayoushooter he only expects a request every couple of months. Knowing that he doesn't have a reputation or master engraver designation he decides to only charge $50 for the work. So, the ad account isn't worth it. However, the membership would be missing out on a great value if they never knew this guy was doing what he does.

If there was a sponsor who also engraved stocks every member would know about them because they have seen his ad all over the sight, maybe visited his business' board on the forum and seen all the great work he does. They would know he is an established business and has a reputation on the board for the quality of work he produces. And most of the business for stock engraving would flow in that direction. But for the few people who happen to want their stock engraved, and happen to stumble into the services/customizations section, and happen to see the amateur engravers thread, and happen to be in the position where they are unwilling to pay the sponsor's price to have their stock engraved but at $50 it is worth it; the amateur engraver is a great value for them.

The 'services' section on AR15.com, which has a larger membership as well as national exposure, only has 38 threads in it. Half of those are probably abandoned. They also have a lot of sponsors, and big name sponsors, who don't seem to care about it. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think something like this could be very beneficial to the membership. So, I figured I'd give it one last go and let it rest. :)

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Not a fan of the like/dislike, color rating, and not because mine is red already. people will invariably lean toward reading only posts made by green people turning this into a popularity contest where everyone basically agrees with each other and not a discussion. Having an unpopular opinion should not be a reason for a red mark or a dislike or whatever.

besides, if I wanted likes and dislikes and such, I'd be on facebook. there, make me redder!

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Augie.gif

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Not a fan of the like/dislike, color rating, and not because mine is red already. people will invariably lean toward reading only posts made by green people turning this into a popularity contest where everyone basically agrees with each other and not a discussion. Having an unpopular opinion should not be a reason for a red mark or a dislike or whatever.

besides, if I wanted likes and dislikes and such, I'd be on facebook. there, make me redder!

Don't worry General, if the topic is interesting to me, I read all of the posts. ;)

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette

I don't really notice the color of the marking at all until I've already read the posts, really. I think the only effect is if what they said it true: someone with a low-enough rating will have their posts hid by default, and have to be opted into seeing them. I think that'll only really happen for abusive people. We'll see, I guess. But since you asked *click*

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are now on round three of me collecting input from you and your fellow members. After the last thread turned very sharply in one direction, I have decided to start a new one and start afresh. In this thread I would like more suggestions and discussion of suggestions on ways to improve BayouShooter and tailor it towards what you, the members, want. The issue of comments in the classifieds has been discussed and I, along with our wonderful team of moderators and site staff, am working on a fix that all of you will like. I will not release any details yet, but stay tuned.

As I mentioned above, this thread is for new ideas and the discussion of these new ideas. As such, any mention of comments in the marketplace will be dealt with swiftly (as in, DO NOT POST THEM). We are very open to everyones' input and I look forward to reading the interesting new ideas that you all will surely come up with.

Best Regards,

Austin
    I can't comment i guess. :exnbp:

Top Bottom