US Army Replacing the M16 Rifle.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    but on a serious note i dont see the xm9 replacing the m4 just yet.. thats to big of a gun and caliber for basic infantry, i can see special teams or maybe special missions but not for the majority of the military.. to me they had a better shot with the 6.8spc.. the 6.8x51 i would thing would be way to heavy of a gun and ammo capacity vs an intermediate round like 556/6.8/.300/7.62x39/5.45 ect

from trusty google info

Compared to the M4A1 carbine weighing 6.34 lb (2.88 kg) unsuppressed, with a basic combat load of 210 rounds in seven 30-round magazines, in total weighing 7.4 lb (3.4 kg), the XM7 rifle weighs about 2 lb (0.91 kg) more and each soldier carries roughly a 4 lb (1.8 kg) heavier load with 70 fewer rounds

we aint got the "real men of old" carrying old m1 grands and m14's, no more, i think that breed has been bred out.. i man these young'ins dont even wanna recognize or participate in the national anthem :dogkeke:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I agree that the m4a1 will likely be around for some time to come. I understand they wanted something with more punch, but I think they went a little too far. Personally, I'm a Grendel fan, but I guess it's Russian roots made it a non-starter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2024
    Ruston
    I highly, highly doubt its actually going to happen. As of right now only a very small fraction of the military is going to be equipped with the M7, and I don't think it will reach full adoption after that. IMO the XM250 is wayyyy more compelling of a weapons platform. I think it actually brings a number of benefits over it's predecessors, and will actually be adopted.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Big fan of the M16/M4 and variants but yeah, the day they switched, our armed forces have needed/wanted something with a little more punch. They should have gone back to 7.62xsomething ages ago.
    As far as weight issues, the 6.8 would be a decent choice. Rifle and ammo both would likely fall somewhere between .556 and 7.62x51. Sensible minds may have thought it best to stick with the AR platform as well. Seems like 6.8 SPC would have been more sensible. After the military adopted the Sig for a sidearm I realized that sensible ain’t on the menu.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2024
    Ruston
    Big fan of the M16/M4 and variants but yeah, the day they switched, our armed forces have needed/wanted something with a little more punch. They should have gone back to 7.62xsomething ages ago.
    As far as weight issues, the 6.8 would be a decent choice. Rifle and ammo both would likely fall somewhere between .556 and 7.62x51. Sensible minds may have thought it best to stick with the AR platform as well. Seems like 6.8 SPC would have been more sensible. After the military adopted the Sig for a sidearm I realized that sensible ain’t on the menu.
    I'll believe until they day I die that when Sig signed the contract whereby they literally PAY the DOD for every M18 handgun they would take, that it was just to get their foot in the door for the rifle contracts.

Top Bottom