Using smokeless powder in muzzle loaders marked "Black Powder Only"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    60-odd years ago, Ihelped a friend load 45-70-500 cartridges for original trap-door Springfields. As I remember, we used 13 grains of Unique as our load approximating the original black powder load. He never had a problem with excess pressures. The Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets gives aload of 15 grains of Unique and a 500 grain gas check bullet(#437406) velocity of 1350 fps, and the Lyman Cast bullet Handbook gives a velocity of 1010 fps with an 482 grain bullet (#457406) with12 grains of Unique. The Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual gives loads for the 45-70-500 Government (500 grains –bullet #457125) 60 grains (volume) Pyrodex RS as1055 fps and a pressure of 15,500 (CUP). The 45-70-500 was originally a black powder cartridge, but most people today load with some form of smokeless. I have always wondered why most people who use muzzleloaders have a prejudice against using smokeless in mass produced muzzle loaders, just because they are stamped “Black Powder Only”

If you look in the Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual 2d Edition, You will find a lot of pressures in the 20,000 to 25,000 PSI range, and even 28,000PSI for a 3-pellet 50 grain Pyrodex load, which is maximum for CVS Magnum rifles. Lots of people on this forum have no problem with Pyrodex,777, or Blackhorn, but freak out at the suggestion of loading with Unique, 24000 or Blue Dot, even though the latter produce lower pressures at reasonable velocities and are infinitely cleaner burning and less corrosive. Shoot Pyrodex and not clean it with water and you will have pitting sooner rather than later.

In this video, the posters try to deliberately blow up a CVA traditional cap lock muzzle loader. As you will see if you watch it, it is not all that easy. First, they try overloading it with black powder, even filling the barrel with it and putting two balls in the end.

When this does not work, they put in an 80 grain volume equivalent of H110 (I've no idea what the actual weight is, but the maximum load of H110 for the 500 S&W Magnum cartridge behind a 500 grain projectile is 33 grains, and gives a pressure of 51,900 psi.) The result of this obvious overload is a slight bulge in the barrel.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Everything I know tells me that the other way around is where you would cause major concern, i.e. using black powder In cartridges meant for modern firearms. When I was about 10 I wrecked the new 12ga I was given with what I was later told was a black powder shell. It was an old paper shell. The barrel swole about a foot from the action and had to be replaced.

Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    Everything I know tells me that the other way around is where you would cause major concern, i.e. using black powder In cartridges meant for modern firearms. When I was about 10 I wrecked the new 12ga I was given with what I was later told was a black powder shell. It was an old paper shell. The barrel swole about a foot from the action and had to be replaced.
    That's a new one to me. I know that one should never use modern shot shells in a Damascus barrel.

Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    If you would have used 70 grns of Unique you wouldn't be here to post this.;)

The mistake that is made , which I've seen news stories on, is numb nuts loading the same amount of smokeless as the black powder loading. How someone could make that mistake , not on purpose, is beyond my simple mind.
    80grns of H110 did bulge the barrel and damage the stock , but probably caused fractures/damage to the breech block nipple area not seen by the naked eye. The next load would have probably caused the blow up no matter the charge.
    An initial charge of 25 grns of H110 probably wouldn't have done squat, but they went for 80 to show you don't use smokeless and black in equal amounts
    The video accomplished the goal of blowing up a muzzle loader , but it wasn't as easy as they thought it would be.

I'd like to see a vid of 80 grn of 1f thru 4f black powder velocity and pressure differences

.....I've never heard of black powder shot shells bulging a modern barrel either. But I'm old enough to never say never

....Unique and Herco are nearly identical. I use .5 to 1grn more . I switched to Herco many years ago when Unique became really hard to find and haven't gone back

Last edited:
    Top Bottom