USPSA belt gear question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I am trying to decide between the CR speed and the blade tech mag pouches. Are the CR Speed legal for production use in USPSA? I assume they are, but just want to make sure before I order 4 of them. The only reason I have been given to go with the blade tech ones are because they have a lower profile. Does anyone have any complaints about the CR Speed pouches?

I am about to order a Bladetech black ice DOH, 4 pouches, and a belt (brand recomendations?) all for a G34. I have just switched from my xd40 to a g34 so I figured I would get some decent gear for it. I have been using two xd-gear double pouches, a serpa :o , and a regular leather belt for the last 7 or so months, so this will be a drastic improvement. Any recommendation or a site with good pricing?

lilbeauxdawg

INFIDEL
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Most people do use cr speed mag pouches they are legal for all division. Another choice would be double alpha academy mag pouches. Both of those companies make a great belt for uspsa shooting. gmshooter (louque's firearms) on this forum could help you with the cr speed gear so could max Michel (maxschoice.com). Shootersconnection.com carries both cr speed and double alpha with reviews on thier website. If your shooting production I would suggest at least five mag pouches.

Hope that helps
    lilB

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Most people do use cr speed mag pouches they are legal for all division. Another choice would be double alpha academy mag pouches. Both of those companies make a great belt for uspsa shooting. gmshooter (louque's firearms) on this forum could help you with the cr speed gear so could max Michel (maxschoice.com). Shootersconnection.com carries both cr speed and double alpha with reviews on thier website. If your shooting production I would suggest at least five mag pouches.

Hope that helps
    lilB

drumz, this^ man is one of the competition gurus!

Usually one of the finishers at the top in his class! At least every time I check match scores.

Now his peers, are probably going to have something to say about it, but they are all chasing each other. I just suck at it, so I just listen. :p

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Thanks James, I will call you on my lunch break.

I had never looked at the DAA stuff, lilB, which do you prefer? I was looking at the DAA universal and racer mag pouches. Any experience with their PDR holster?

lilbeauxdawg

INFIDEL
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I used cr speed mag pouches and belt for over 5 years and never had a problem with them. Recently I switched to Double Alpha mag pouches and holster but i still use a cr speed belt. the mag pouches I use are the race master aluminum ones (the expensive ones). the main reason i switched is first I wanted to try them but mainly I like how double alpha approaches things. they set out to come up with something new which they did by making the pouch out of aluminum, it puts pressure on the mag from front to back instead of side to side, and they are extremely adjustable. I've never tried the racer pouch but from the pictures I've seen it looks like a cr speed pouch but it applies pressure to the mag like the race master does. I also don't have any experience with the PDR holster but I have used Bladetech DOH holsters which work just fine for production.

lilB

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I used cr speed mag pouches and belt for over 5 years and never had a problem with them. Recently I switched to Double Alpha mag pouches and holster but i still use a cr speed belt. the mag pouches I use are the race master aluminum ones (the expensive ones). the main reason i switched is first I wanted to try them but mainly I like how double alpha approaches things. they set out to come up with something new which they did by making the pouch out of aluminum, it puts pressure on the mag from front to back instead of side to side, and they are extremely adjustable. I've never tried the racer pouch but from the pictures I've seen it looks like a cr speed pouch but it applies pressure to the mag like the race master does. I also don't have any experience with the PDR holster but I have used Bladetech DOH holsters which work just fine for production.

lilB

Thanks for the info. These are the pouches I am thinking about:

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/Double-Alpha-Mag-Pouch--P251.aspx#

lilbeauxdawg

INFIDEL
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There's nothing wrong with those. Again I've never personally tried those but a buddy of mine (enutees on this form) is currently using them and likes them.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the info. These are the pouches I am thinking about:

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/Double-Alpha-Mag-Pouch--P251.aspx#

I'll comment since I use those. I like them better than the CR speed. I've used nothing but CR speed for years but recently switched to the DAA ones. The way they mount on the belt and the adjustments to the tension is superior to the CR speed in my opinion. If you switch guns you do not have to switch out inserts (pain in the butt) like the CR speed.

They are releasing the Race master version like lilbeauxdog uses in a plastic one soon. I look forward to trying them as I think they are the best on the market right now but are quite expensive.

In saying that I still have CR speed ones set up for my production gun and have no plans of getting rid of them at this point but if starting from scratch would get the double alpha.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    As to the DOH ICE--

There was quite a bit of talk about it not being Production Legal, due to concerns over Appendix D4, 20. It stipulates that the holster must be cut no more than 1/2" below the ejection port, which the DOH ICE violated in the case of certain guns.

I didn't keep up with the discussion, as the standard DOH and the Ready Tactical that I switched to are both GTG. I believe BladeTech may have corrected their molds to comply with this rule, but I'm not 100% on that-- and again, it wasn't an issue for every pistol, just a handful.

It's something that you might want to look into before making your purchase. At a local match, you're not going to catch any grief over 1/16" or whatever-- but if you shoot any Majors, you almost certainly will.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    As to the DOH ICE--

There was quite a bit of talk about it not being Production Legal, due to concerns over Appendix D4, 20. It stipulates that the holster must be cut no more than 1/2" below the ejection port, which the DOH ICE violated in the case of certain guns.

I didn't keep up with the discussion, as the standard DOH and the Ready Tactical that I switched to are both GTG. I believe BladeTech may have corrected their molds to comply with this rule, but I'm not 100% on that-- and again, it wasn't an issue for every pistol, just a handful.

It's something that you might want to look into before making your purchase. At a local match, you're not going to catch any grief over 1/16" or whatever-- but if you shoot any Majors, you almost certainly will.

I remember hearing that before, and have done some research. It seems they had corrected the problem and replaced any defective ones if the owner wanted to.

From brianenos' forum:

Hi Guys. You are correct, we did post some info on how to make sure your Black Ice is legal.

The Black Ice holster is designed and manufactured to cover no less than ½” below the ejection port. When the holster comes off the mold, the cutout port/sight channel area is straight. The craftsmen buff and round down the sight channel to bring a sense of symmetry and aesthetic appeal, which on some holsters, was causing them to be out of USPSA specification. The molds have been adjusted by 1/8” to compensate for material being removed from the final buffering process. Furthermore, our craftsmen are now aware and are more cognizant of the material being removed from the final buffering process.

If your holster falls under being out of specifications, please contact customer service and we'll get it fixed right away!

returns at blade-tech dot com toll free: (877)331-5793.

Thanks!!

Tessa
    getsocial at blade-tech dot com

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I'll comment since I use those. I like them better than the CR speed. I've used nothing but CR speed for years but recently switched to the DAA ones. The way they mount on the belt and the adjustments to the tension is superior to the CR speed in my opinion. If you switch guns you do not have to switch out inserts (pain in the butt) like the CR speed.

They are releasing the Race master version like lilbeauxdog uses in a plastic one soon. I look forward to trying them as I think they are the best on the market right now but are quite expensive.

In saying that I still have CR speed ones set up for my production gun and have no plans of getting rid of them at this point but if starting from scratch would get the double alpha.

I think they have already released them : http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/DAA-Racer-Magazine-Pouch.html

In 2011 DAA introduced the all aluminum Race Master Mag Pouches, the first of their kind. Their innovative design is so different from other model pouches that all who used them were instantly fans.

However, their one shortcoming is their high price tag... A $60 pouch is not affordable by all, especially when one considers the need for 3 or 4 of them on your belt. Although ideally suited and matched to the DAA Race Master Holster, it was felt by DAA that a more economic version of this great mag pouch was needed to launch with the DAA Racer Holster. So DAA set out to develop and produce a new plastic molded version of this same winning design, and are now proud to introduce the all new DAA Racer Pouch, the perfect mate for the DAA Racer Holster!

The DAA Racer pouches borrow heavily from the Race Master Pouch. In fact, DAA took the very same body design, modified it to suite plastic mounding requirements, while maintaining the exact same unique “pressure from the back” adjustable holding system that has proven so successful. Interchangeable inserts allow the user to go from larger 2011 mags to smaller CZ / Tan mags. A single stack spacer is available as an accessory as well.

The Racer Pouch is completely ambidextrous, allowing easy mounting for both left or right hand users. And the pouch can even be mounted at 90 degrees away from the body, just as can be done in the Race Master version.

The belt-hanger of the pouch utilizes the same minimalist steel plate design, which eliminates separation between the inner and outer belt. The belt hanger has been simplified though - there is no ball joint as in the aluminum RM pouch, because that simply could not be achieved in plastic material in this size. However, the pouch can be adjusted for tilt in very small increments, allowing each shooter to find the right angle for their preference. Once the correct angle is set and the center screw tightened, the serrations in the connector piece lock up, preventing any possibility of the pouch rotating until the center screw is loosened several turns.

While these pouches may not offer the unique look and feel of the all aluminum Race Master pouches, or the ball joint tilt base, they are indeed robust and durable, and the performance that one can expect is every bit as good as that of its big brother. And with a price tag of almost half that of the Race Master pouches, the Racer Pouch will be the prefect choice for many.

Available in Black, Blue, Red or Grey / Silver.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I remember hearing that before, and have done some research. It seems they had corrected the problem and replaced any defective ones if the owner wanted to.

There ya go-- you're rock and roll then!

I believe the Benos forums are where I heard the discussion in the first place, so you've definitely got the info from the source-- twice over!

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    I cant remember the exact wording, but I read in the last issue of Front sight that there are going to be some rule changes for production in 2013....among them is changing which mag holders are legal. If I remember correctly production shooters will have start using the traditional mag holders.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I cant remember the exact wording, but I read in the last issue of Front sight that there are going to be some rule changes for production in 2013....among them is changing which mag holders are legal. If I remember correctly production shooters will have start using the traditional mag holders.

It's just the elimination of the magnets and "spring loaded pouches". Won't effect anyone using DA's or CR Speeds.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La

lilB

Just come out and admit it, you swapped ever since you saw Blake Miguez's face in that Double Alpha print ad and wanna be like him! Lol

Top Bottom