USS Johnston found after 77 yrs.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry

M_Lee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    She had an amazing record in combat and fought to the end. Her skipper was a man of steel.
    Salute and RIP sailors. Fair winds and following seas on eternal patrol.

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Yes, the Kidd is Fletcher Class. It is the only surviving Fletcher Class Destroyer to be restored to its WWII condition. The other three remaining Fletcher class DDs preserved as museum ships still have vestiges of their postwar upgrades.

Last edited:

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    The hero destroyer USS Johnston was found after 77yrs on the bottom of Leyte gulf. The Fletcher class destroyer scarified herself against a Japanese fleet to protect Gen MacArthur’s landing in the Philippians islands. If you haven’t heard of the Johnston, you should. Her Commander Evans & Crew should never be forgotten.
    https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/...fter-its-sinking-at-the-battle-of-leyte-gulf/
    https://www.history.navy.mil/news-a...onfirmed-as-heroic-uss-johnston--dd-557-.html

My father was stationed on the successor USS Johnston (DD-821) during the Vietnam era. He told me some stories of their operations in the Med. and trips into theater. I'm a former sailor myself, sailed on several Pacific tours on USS Boxer (LHD-4) working anti-piracy, and counter terrorism etc. prior to taking brown water roles. I invaded Iraq in 2003 as a liaison my OIC facilitated Naval and Joint security while I dug out potential threats and briefed assets and collected. My Great-uncle was a Merchant Marine during WWI-WWII era, he survived two downed ships in his career due to the Axis Powers trying to disrupt shipping. My uncle was a tough man, it was an honor to spend some time with him in life, but he never spoke about the ships he went down on and survived. He lost a lot of fellow sailors. I lost more than a few of my co-workers and friends over the years in air/sea accidents, and combat, myself but I could not imagine what these men went through in the cold waters. One of my shipmates died in the collision between USS John S. McCain and the Liberian tanker and I knew one of the other ten sailors lost.

We need to be careful how we respond to Chinese expansion. China's behavior in India, and South China Sea is indicative that they have shifted their modus operandi to a power projection role and have taken steps to deny air and sea operations by friendly naval forces. (US, UK, EU, CAN etc.) Some experts warn China may be prepping for a Taiwan invasion in three years or so. I hope this is gas lighting, the Taiwanese are not concerned and view China as business as usual. We will see. But times will be harder if we do not support our allies now, and do not take steps to ensure China does not abuse international law.

History will repeat itself.

What a brave crew! Fair Winds, and Following Seas!

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Thank You Core and to your family for their service. If you seen the stories on the news, they just said it was a WWII ship named the Johnston & her bow number. Nothing about her crews courage in their final battle.
    Your right about chi na. Looks like they are trying the same thing that Japan tried in the 30s & 40s. History doesn’t always repeat itself but it does rhyme.

Top Bottom