UTG products

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kris5597

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hi Guys,

I am new to the thread and like most threads I am sure most information has already been covered and most people just tell you to search. I just wanted to get some updated opinions on UTG products. I have heard mixed reviews on UTG products as far as fitment, reliability, and quality. Now, I currently own a UTG quad rail that I am selling only because I am doing a free float rail conversion, but that is also being replaced with a UTG free float rail. I have had no problems with my current rail and it has been strong and sturdy and IMO you can't beat that with the price of what they sell their products for. I have read different reviews on different websites that the quality of the UTG products is up to par with MI, Troy, etc. Just wanted to get a few opinions from the peeps on here.

Thank you,

Kris

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    They make pretty decent stuff for the money but to say they compair to Troy or MI is a stretch to say the least. The stuff thier products are made of is not top quality although some of thier finished products do look and feel refined. I've recomented thier mounts to people on really tight budgets.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Kris,
    I currently have a UTG Red Dot on my AR and it has held up for the most part. Are there better optics? Yes, but for the price point I have been happy with it. I also have a relatively inexpensive two point sling that I actually like much better than any other sling I have put on my AR. I will be getting a vertical grip from them soon. I held a couple at the last gun show and was impressed with the sturdy construction. Are there better, lighter, fancier products, sure. But, if you are like me, I am not using my AR in a military or LEO capacity so they are the right price and they have worked out for me. As far as optics are concerned I would stay away from NC Star stuff.

Ruben

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    UTG is vastly inferior to companies like Troy. If you don't shoot/abuse your gun I'm sure it's fine. No way I'd put UTG products on anything other than a range toy, and I don't have any weapons I consider range toys.

Kris5597

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Well thank you guys for all the posts. Information is definitely appreciated. I would have to agree SpeedRacer, something I was bringing to the range or using for running course or anything of that sort than I believe the cheaper stuff would do just fine. However, in a combat situation I would rather get reputable, reliable products that my life depends on, and in that situation, UTG would not be on my firearm.

Nolashooter, haha thanks for the opinion. I am currently using NC star red dot that I have had no problems out of so far and have a NC star 7x32 that I will be attempting to use on my AR. I maybe shouldn't have waited so long to join this sight before purchasing things I "thought" would be a good idea. Thanks again. LOL

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    UTG is vastly inferior to companies like Troy. If you don't shoot/abuse your gun I'm sure it's fine. No way I'd put UTG products on anything other than a range toy, and I don't have any weapons I consider range toys.

This to ∞!!!! If and I mean a STRONG "IF" it was only ever pulled out at the range, then it might get inferior parts, prolly not though!!! At anytime you may need to trust your life with that weapon therefore, NO!!!

I am a firm believer in "train like you fight". That means that you should be training at the range and in training classes with all your guns because you may never know which one will be the closest when the time comes. I also believe in the motto "buy once cry once".

You can buy cheap and it work a million times but that one time when you really need it, maybe not. Again, that can be said of any MFG product out there. But I will trust my life and the life of my loved ones with things that have been proven and accepted into the rank and file of trusted components for MIL/LEO. There is a reason that everyone uses MIL SPEC as the standard. If it comes down to going cheap on an accessory for a firearm and buying another gun, I will every time choose to spend the money on the accessory if I am going to use it on a life saving tool. Let's get real fro a minute here, that is exactly what a gun is, a life saving tool.

That is my 2¢
    soapbox.gif
    twocents.gif

Kris5597

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    This to ∞!!!! If and I mean a STRONG "IF" it was only ever pulled out at the range, then it might get inferior parts, prolly not though!!! At anytime you may need to trust your life with that weapon therefore, NO!!!

I am a firm believer in "train like you fight". That means that you should be training at the range and in training classes with all your guns because you may never know which one will be the closest when the time comes. I also believe in the motto "buy once cry once".

You can buy cheap and it work a million times but that one time when you really need it, maybe not. Again, that can be said of any MFG product out there. But I will trust my life and the life of my loved ones with things that have been proven and accepted into the rank and file of trusted components for MIL/LEO. There is a reason that everyone uses MIL SPEC as the standard. If it comes down to going cheap on an accessory for a firearm and buying another gun, I will every time choose to spend the money on the accessory if I am going to use it on a life saving tool. Let's get real fro a minute here, that is exactly what a gun is, a life saving tool.

That is my 2¢
    soapbox.gif
    twocents.gif

Well said. I 100% agree.

Kris

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The cheapest items I would go for are PA's optics. Primary Arms makes some pretty good Aimpoint knock-off type stuff. They tell you it's just for range/training use, though. However, they hold zero and do okay.

UTG rails are heavy, but if you don't care and all you want to do is mount a light, I can't see where it matters.

Mounts, I only use LaRue, ADM, and Bobro. All for different applications. YMMV, but to me, a mount is just as important as a barrel or optic--without a good mount, you're dead in the water if you're trying for QD repeatability or accuracy.

Mil-spec is a base-line. The lowest acceptable. At least, for anything that you even THINK you might depend on for more than punching paper.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I will second Primary Arm's and their "knock off" optics. One thing about them is that we will guarantee them and if you are not happy you can get your money back or a replacement.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Pa is an awesome company, probably one of the best when it comes to customer service.
    I sell their optics and while its not comparable to highend stuff it will work and does what it is described to do. If you call pa and tell them what you want to do or if you want to inquire about their optics they will not bs you into buying their product. They will tell you straight up to buy or not to buy.
    Their mounts are eh, but do work.
    I have pa optics on my rifle if that means anything.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mack123410
    Top Bottom