VA Benefits and the Shutdown

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    My mistake that was very abstract!

I meant Sugarbug; I am pretty sure I knew you served choot.

its a long story. I wouldn't call what I did serving. I did qualify for the GI bill once I was out though. PM if you want the full story.

Was Navy.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    The VA Regional Office in New Orleans.

Do you have the number? A google search is providing more 1-800 national numbers.

The last number (800)827-1000 I called had a prerecorded message that said benefits were planning to continue until late October.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Does anyone have the regional number? The best I was able to find was that 1800 827 1000 number. It's listed along with all of the addresses to each regional office. I cannot find the New Orleans specific number (assuming there is one). If I go through that and get to the point where it asks if I want to speak to a person, it gives me the same prerecorded (due to the gov shutdown...) message.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    You've gotten all of the info that anyone is able to gather on the VA benefits.

Make arrangements like all of us have and prepare for the worst. Don't depend on that benefit, it is simply there to augment our incomes, not replace them.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    He is an employee of the university not the VA. I read his email differently than you do I guess. I spoke with Giberto a couple days ago and he wasn't sure of anything. I spoke with the folks at the Regional Office yesterday and try assured me GI Bill money was safe. That's as first hand as I've got. You can call and ask the questions directly that way you don't have to take my word.

You've gotten all of the info that anyone is able to gather on the VA benefits.

Make arrangements like all of us have and prepare for the worst. Don't depend on that benefit, it is simply there to augment our incomes, not replace them.

Not sure you meant that to sound like it did... but for someone working and going to school fulltime... it's kind of counted on. The BAH makes up about 40% of my income.

Nate made it sound as though he had been told his GI Bill money was safe. I was simply trying to verify for myself and was hoping he'd provide the number he used as it seems to be different than the ones I have tried.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Not sure you meant that to sound like it did... but for someone working and going to school fulltime... it's kind of counted on. The BAH makes up about 40% of my income.

Nate made it sound as though he had been told his GI Bill money was safe. I was simply trying to verify for myself and was hoping he'd provide the number he used as it seems to be different than the ones I have tried.

And btw Doc is a Combat Vet who just worked and went to school full time. You are not a unique snowflake.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    And btw Doc is a Combat Vet who just worked and went to school full time. You are not a unique snowflake.

Wife, two children, bills, and a mortgage. Ended up selling all of my guns except 3 to pay bills and couldn't attend any AG courses, nor buy ammo. Also worked funny hours and was denied by my company health care so I put them on Medicaid. Applied for food stamps repeatedly as well as got denied every single time. That meant no more eating out.

It's called buckling down.

If you are having an impossible time right now depending on 40% of your income on the Post 9/11 GI Bill, wait til you get OUT of school. That extra $1200 a month GOES AWAY. That means buckling down EVEN MORE until you find a job which can take months.

Definitely wasn't buying parts for a long range AR for competition. It's all about where your priorities are. I'm sure that all can be learned in ROTC.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Wife, two children, bills, and a mortgage. Ended up selling all of my guns except 3 to pay bills and couldn't attend any AG courses, nor buy ammo. Also worked funny hours and was denied by my company health care so I put them on Medicaid. Applied for food stamps repeatedly as well as got denied every single time. That meant no more eating out.

It's called buckling down.

If you are having an impossible time right now depending on 40% of your income on the Post 9/11 GI Bill, wait til you get OUT of school. That extra $1200 a month GOES AWAY. That means buckling down EVEN MORE until you find a job which can take months.

Definitely wasn't buying parts for a long range AR for competition. It's all about where your priorities are. I'm sure that all can be learned in ROTC.

I hear what you're saying. Was never in ROTC, though :confused:.

I have all the same expenses as you. As for guns I have 5 if you count my wife's MP 9C. Don't eat out, pack my lunch everyday, no cable TV, etc, etc. I've certainly buckled down the past couple years. The AR was built with money from other guns that were sold. The gun that replaced it can also be sold if need be. I have the savings to get me through another month. I'm just trying to verify that I will have to use it... which was what this entire thread was about.

Nate states that I read the article I posted wrong. Said he spoke with people that told him GI Bill money was safe and that I could call and verify myself. Called the national line and it confirmed what I thought. Called the only number I could find that was listed with the regional office addresses and received no different news. Then Nate wants to bring up a month or two old conversation as reason to not give the number he says he used to learn that all was A OK.

Didn't think asking for a phone number was a "favor." But whatever.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    http://www.va.gov/opa/docs/Field_Guide_20130927.pdf

So VA/GI Bill benefits were good through October since it was part of the FY2013 budget, but after that, we're all SOL. It's how I pay my mortgage while in school.

Anyone else see this? Am I reading it wrong (that'd be awesome).

if this is the blurb that's relevant, then I think you are reading it right, except there seems to be a possibility that the programs could be funded a little while longer (past the Oct 31 date) if some funds are left over:

Claims processing and payments in the compensation, pension, education, and vocational rehabilitation programs are anticipated to continue through late October. However, in the event of a prolonged shutdown, claims processing and payments in these programs would be suspended when available funding is exhausted.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Do you have the number? A google search is providing more 1-800 national numbers.

The last number (800)827-1000 I called had a prerecorded message that said benefits were planning to continue until late October.

I know my wife had a number for a VA office in N.O. not sure if its the one you need but I will see if she still has it.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    On a different note until yesterday guys were dying in Afghanistan and their families were having to pay outta pocket to bury them. Let that sink in for a minute. Feel free to whine about the GI Bill but maybe keep things in perspective.

Top Bottom