Vehicle suggestions for a soon to come family?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    I was in the market for a small SUV a few months ago, the two I considered were the Toyota Rav 4 and the Hyundai Santa Fe. Both of them had fit my budget of high teens in terms of price. Both got roughly the same mileage.

I ended up with a Camry. I know, I went shopping for one thing and got another but I think you can't dismiss some cars. I get great mileage and comfort out of it. I also believe the maintenance will cost less in the long run.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Well we went out and hit the used car lots this morning just for her to look at them and get an idea what might appeal to her before we start the test driving phase of this experience. So far her picks have suprised me a little bit, First one to grab her attention was a chrysler pacifica, second a nissan altima, third a ford taurus, plus one buick rendevous The rendevous was my favorite, but I'm iffy on the 3400. I've gotta find some vans to look at now for her.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Well we went out and hit the used car lots this morning just for her to look at them and get an idea what might appeal to her before we start the test driving phase of this experience. So far her picks have suprised me a little bit, First one to grab her attention was a chrysler pacifica, second a nissan altima, third a ford taurus, plus one buick rendevous The rendevous was my favorite, but I'm iffy on the 3400. I've gotta find some vans to look at now for her.
    Do NOT get a Pacifica, I used to sell cars after college and it is the biggest piece of poop available.....unless your wife REALLY WANTS it then that is something you have to deal with, I guess! I sold Nissans but tried to sell a used, higher end Pacifica once and Wow! Terrible!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm driving an Xterra now. I really like it but miss having a pickup. Gas mileage isn't great. Water fording ability is worth the tradeoff!

Having a 2 door car with a child seat (or even an older child) is a royal pain.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Nissan alitima is a very nice car.. I was on the fence between the 3.5 altima and my mustang GT which I seriously have 2 booster seats in the back of right now..........and before the boosters car seats... but anyways.. I liked the nissan alot and they are very well built. I'll tell you one thing . Once the kids were old enough to talk they only wanna ride with daddy in his *COOL* car. Moms CRV sits most the time.

Last edited:

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Do NOT get a Pacifica, I used to sell cars after college and it is the biggest piece of poop available.....unless your wife REALLY WANTS it then that is something you have to deal with, I guess! I sold Nissans but tried to sell a used, higher end Pacifica once and Wow! Terrible!

Well I didn't know about the Pacifica directly, but the fact it is a chrysler made me hate it straight out of the gate. Thanks for the confirmation!

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Nissan alitima is a very nice car.. I was on the fence between the 3.5 altima and my mustang GT which I seriously have 2 booster seats in the back of right now..........and before the boosters car seats... but anyways.. I liked the nissan alot and they are very well built. I'll tell you one thing . Once the kids were old enough to talk they only wanna ride with daddy in his *COOL* car. Moms CRV sits most the time.

LOL, No cool cars here I'm afraid. Function rules for the most part with us, compared to form.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Do NOT get a small hatchback. When I was commuting ~150 miles/day I drove a Honda Fit. They're made for hipsters and high school chicks. I had a carseat in the back for my daughter and... well that was about all it had room for. Buying that car was the worst decision I've ever made. Between the lack of power, the miniscule frame and weight, and the shitty quality, I've forever sworn off any hatchback/5-door.

That being said, my wife drives a Camry, and with just one car-seat it's cramped as hell. I would go with a used full-size SUV. You'll have the kid in the back, and definitely others too, whether it's grandparents, other friends, etc. Then you have to cram in luggage.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Do NOT get a small hatchback. When I was commuting ~150 miles/day I drove a Honda Fit. They're made for hipsters and high school chicks. I had a carseat in the back for my daughter and... well that was about all it had room for. Buying that car was the worst decision I've ever made. Between the lack of power, the miniscule frame and weight, and the shitty quality, I've forever sworn off any hatchback/5-door.

That being said, my wife drives a Camry, and with just one car-seat it's cramped as hell. I would go with a used full-size SUV. You'll have the kid in the back, and definitely others too, whether it's grandparents, other friends, etc. Then you have to cram in luggage.

Thanks, I was looking for some first hand small hatchback experience.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    images

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My wife hates mini-vans. *Wipes Brow, Thank you Jesus*

So it was SUV search for us. We decided on a Ford Escape in 2005. 2 kids later I realized, this ain't going to work for #3 on the way. So we got a sweet deal on an Explorer. It too for long trips to the Grandma's house is crowded. So we invested in a good cargo carrier. Plenty of inside room now.

However I'm stuck with the Escape. mainly b/c it's been paid off for a few years and only has 130,000 miles. It looks like it too, well to a buyer it would. Scratches and Dings I've used it like a truck ok lol. So there's no way to Trade it in or Sell it out right and get anything worth getting for it. Just not happening. So I'm stuck with it until the wheels come off.

SO! Buy for the Family you think you'll have in 5 years! not the baby on the way. ;)

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    My wife hates mini-vans. *Wipes Brow, Thank you Jesus*

So it was SUV search for us. We decided on a Ford Escape in 2005. 2 kids later I realized, this ain't going to work for #3 on the way. So we got a sweet deal on an Explorer. It too for long trips to the Grandma's house is crowded. So we invested in a good cargo carrier. Plenty of inside room now.

However I'm stuck with the Escape. mainly b/c it's been paid off for a few years and only has 130,000 miles. It looks like it too, well to a buyer it would. Scratches and Dings I've used it like a truck ok lol. So there's no way to Trade it in or Sell it out right and get anything worth getting for it. Just not happening. So I'm stuck with it until the wheels come off.

SO! Buy for the Family you think you'll have in 5 years! not the baby on the way. ;)

I know that for right now an escape is a better choice financialy. So now I get to ask you. How is the mileage, maintenance problems, generally how do ya'll like your escape?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Make sure you get something a little larger than what you think you will need. Your probably gonna be hauling pack and plays, which are a pain in the ass to haul in anything small. All that baby stuff just takes up a lot of space not to mention your own stuff if you take a trip to the beach or vacation. When we had our first child we had a 89 Ford Probe and realized we needed something else real fast and bought an Aerostar van. Had this with another baby 3 years later and it worked great for a few years more. An Expedition was what we got next--crossovers weren't around then--and had it till fuel went thru the roof. Presently we have a Kia Sorrento and can't say enough good about. Its an awesome vehicle and recommend it to anybody--and this coming from a die-hard Ford nut. We looked at Hyundai Santa Fe and Explorer also but the Explorer was way more money. The Sorento and Santa Fe I think would be great for a starting family IMHO. Plenty of used ones around too. Good luck and enjoy parenthood while you can--they grow up real fast!

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I know that for right now an escape is a better choice financialy. So now I get to ask you. How is the mileage, maintenance problems, generally how do ya'll like your escape?

Love it! Just wished I had a truck.

The V6 is fast! I mean this dude has some get up and go. When I want to pass I hit the OD/Off button smash the gas and there is NO slack in the acceleration. It'll push you back in your seat. More so than the V8 in the Explorer.

It's comfortable, and the inside interior is well made IMO. I mean compared to some other cars and SUVs where the inside seems to be pretty cheap. Like KIA's? Mazda's? etc.

I have changed the Oil/Oil Filter myself a few times. Usually every 7,000 miles.
    Speedy Lube joints have done the rest of the Oil Changes.
    Changed Air Filter once
    3 Sets of tires I believe
    Changed Plugs and Wires
    Changed Battery
    Changed left rear tail light. Took 1 minute, literally.

Thinking about changing the shocks next time I balance and rotate the tires.

Besides that normal stuff, it runs like great.

I had a Mechanic try and convince me to change the ATF Fluid @ 100k miles. I didn't do it but there were some other 100k mileage things he was saying too. Haven't done any of those, they may or may not be worth it.

Seeing no future issues and that it shows no signs whatsoever of not being able to make it to 200k plus miles. I'd say it was well worth the investment and hope to drive it another few years at least.

With one kid it's no problem, two kids pretty much takes up the middle seat(Car seats). 3 kids is not possible with car seats.

Top Bottom