Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Actually exceeding the quota by 10% gets the officer and 1 family member a window tint exemption….
    I don't know where you guys live, here in Laffy there is no quota!!! I'm not making this up. It was told to me by the Sergeant in charge of traffic. He said that he had 1 officer on patrol just to write reports. A few weeks ago we had several bikers in the hospital and a couple more in the morgue because people just pulled out in front of them. They pull out in front of me and I drive a full size truck. Daily I see excavators, Bobcats, a bulldozer, concrete drain boxes going down the streets held on by GRAVITY! These loads are supposed to have a strap every 10 feet. I fear for children waiting on the bus when these loads go by. Because of this I personally wish there were a quota!!!
    20220707_145615.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    The law lists a security exemption and a medical exemption. Those exemptions are not exclusive for law enforcement.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but not all LEO's are qualified for the exemption. In fact, I'd wager that most of the police that have dark tint on their personal vehicles do not possess an exemption.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    That's the crux of our disagreement. I don't believe it should be legal to drive a car that you cannot see out of. It appears you do. Everything else we disagree on is based on that difference of opinion.
    I also believe that there should be no legal limitation on firearms, so maybe I'm just old fashioned, or maybe I just believe that the state shouldn't control the people, but the other way around.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I don't know where you guys live, here in Laffy there is no quota!!! I'm not making this up. It was told to me by the Sergeant in charge of traffic. He said that he had 1 officer on patrol just to write reports. A few weeks ago we had several bikers in the hospital and a couple more in the morgue because people just pulled out in front of them. They pull out in front of me and I drive a full size truck. Daily I see excavators, Bobcats, a bulldozer, concrete drain boxes going down the streets held on by GRAVITY! These loads are supposed to have a strap every 10 feet. I fear for children waiting on the bus when these loads go by. Because of this I personally wish there were a quota!!!
    View attachment 142157
    LOL I was being sarcastic.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but not all LEO's are qualified for the exemption. In fact, I'd wager that most of the police that have dark tint on their personal vehicles do not possess an exemption.
    When I looked into it, if I'm not mistaken it was public officials (elected or appointed) private investigators law enforcement and a few others.

I applied, included my commission from the Governor, my blasters card, documentation that I carried class III items etc. I was denied.

The state of Louisiana trusts me to protect the public record, to carry machine guns, and silencers, sawed off shotguns, et al, carry explosives, and related equipment. But I'm a security threat if I have tinted windows!!!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I also believe that there should be no legal limitation on firearms, so maybe I'm just old fashioned, or maybe I just believe that the state shouldn't control the people, but the other way around.

This is at least the second time you have attempted to equate window tint with firearms. The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the constitution. Tinted windows are not.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    This is at least the second time you have attempted to equate window tint with firearms. The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the constitution. Tinted windows are not.
    Touche

Yet the 2nd amendment has been overstepped, trampled upon should I say. Much like many other things. I do believe we have a 4th amendment that gives us protection from unsolicited search and seizure, and harassment in general, yet here we are with all these traffic laws that are used to trample upon that amendment.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but not all LEO's are qualified for the exemption.

I'm not sure. I have not asked all of them.

In fact, I'd wager that most of the police that have dark tint on their personal vehicles do not possess an exemption.

That's speculation but I do not have any data to either agree with or disagree with your opinion on the matter. I have not traveled the state to inspect all of the officer's personal vehicles to determine their tint level and request any relevant exemption forms.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Touche

Yet the 2nd amendment has been overstepped, trampled upon should I say. Much like many other things. I do believe we have a 4th amendment that gives us protection from unsolicited search and seizure, and harassment in general, yet here we are with all these traffic laws that are used to trample upon that amendment.

Would you like to create a new thread to discuss this new topic?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When I looked into it, if I'm not mistaken it was public officials (elected or appointed) private investigators law enforcement and a few others.

I applied, included my commission from the Governor, my blasters card, documentation that I carried class III items etc. I was denied.

The state of Louisiana trusts me to protect the public record, to carry machine guns, and silencers, sawed off shotguns, et al, carry explosives, and related equipment. But I'm a security threat if I have tinted windows!!!

Neither the law nor the form limit the eligible people to any particular groups. The form is at the link below.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Neither the law nor the form limit the eligible people to any particular groups. The form is at the link below.

At the time I bought my truck. (December 2020) guidance on the LSP website on how to qualify for a security exemption listed "particular groups" I've had a hard drive failure since then otherwise that information would still be on my desktop. And it said, if I remember correctly, that a PI not even apply for an exemption as it was automatically recognized that he would qualify. I spoke to a PI at the time and asked him about it. I've seen the application before, as I said I applied back in '21.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana

Found the list on Bayoushooter of all places, from 2014:

I'll rephrase. Meeting the criteria = autoapprove. If you don't meet the criteria I can't imagine why you'd apply at all.

§813S.6.e

The following non-exclusive list of persons, or entities, shall be eligible for a security exemption from the provisions of R.S. 32:361.1:
    i. private investigators;
    ii. bail enforcement agents;
    iii. railroad police officers;
    iv Louisiana peace officers, P.O.S.T. certified and sworn;
    v. elected or appointed public officials;

f. Security Exemption Criteria
    i. Vehicle must be:
    (a). properly licensed, insured and registered, all in Louisiana; and
    (b). owned or leased by an applicant

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Found the list on Bayoushooter of all places, from 2014:

The Louisiana Administrative Code divides people into 2 groups, one group who are eligible based on the type of work they do and one group that must show they qualify. And this is not part of the law. The purpose of the code is quoted below. Based on this new info, I'll change my previous statement from "neither the law nor the form limit the eligible people to any particular groups" to "neither the law nor the form nor the administrative code limit the eligible people to any particular groups" And the rule doesn't seem to say that any group has an automatic exemption without having to apply. The rule only says that the first group shall be eligible.

The Louisiana Administrative Code is the state-certified publication that provides a set of rules which have been formally adopted or amended by state agencies through promulgation in the Louisiana Register.

Page 180
    8. Window Tint Security Affidavit
    a. The following exclusive list of persons, or entities, shall be eligible for a security exemption from the provisions of R.S. 32:361.1:
    i. private investigators;
    ii. bail enforcement agents;
    iii. railroad police officers;
    iv. Louisiana peace officers, POST-certified and sworn;
    v. elected or appointed public officials.
    b. The department will review and make a final decision on any other individual, business, company,, corporation or agency who submits a security exemption affidavit requesting added concealment of persons or property from public view.
    c. Window Tint Security Exemption Criteria
    i. Vehicle must be:
    (a). properly licensed, insured and registered, all in Louisiana; and
    (b). owned or leased by an applicant.
    d. Security Exemption Affidavit
    i. An individual seeking exemption to window tint restrictions can obtain a security exemption affidavit form at the department headquarters, any motor vehicle field office or via the world wide web by accessing www.lsp.org.
    ii. The security exemption affidavit must be complete, sworn and subscribed in the presence of a notary public. The security exemption affidavit must include:
    (a). applicant's name;
    (b). address, city, state and zip code;
    (c). vehicle description (year, make, model);
    (d). vehicle identification number (VIN);
    (e). vehicle license plate number;
    (f). need, reason or explanation for exemption; and
    (g). signature of applicant.
    e. Security Exemption Process
    i. A completed Security Exemption Affidavit must be mailed to the Department Headquarters Office, P.O. Box 66614, Mail Slip 26, Baton Rouge, LA 70896-6614.
    Security exemption affidavits will be reviewed and subsequently approved or disapproved by the department.
    ii. Approved security exemption affidavits will be returned to applicant.
    iii. An applicant whose Security Exemption Affidavit is disapproved will receive written notification of that decision by U.S. Mail. The correspondence will outline the reason(s) for denial. An applicant may write a letter of rebuttal germane to the reason(s) for denial. Letters of rebuttal will be taken under advisement. Once a final determination of eligibility has been made, an applicant has no further recourse. The Department of Public Safety and Corrections may approve, disapprove, cancel or revoke exemptions for window tint restrictions as deemed appropriate.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So, for the record, is it about people driving cars that they can’t see out of (reportedly) or is it about people driving cars that law enforcement and others can’t see into? I’m thinking it’s more the latter.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    So, for the record, is it about people driving cars that they can’t see out of (reportedly) or is it about people driving cars that law enforcement and others can’t see into? I’m thinking it’s more the latter.
    I've personally no reason to believe otherwise and plenty of reasons to agree.

For your safety.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wish they would enforce it. I get tired of vehicle pulling up next to me and looks like the windows are painted black. Can't see if they are looking at you in traffic to see if they are turning or even pointing a gun at you. There's no need for it. I have a good friend that is a Trooper and when he worked at a very small dept before going LSP he said the town unit windows were so dark he couldn't see at night. He rolled down the windows.

Top Bottom