Very Short Notice: Westboro picketing soldiers funeral in Ruston today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    I'm reposting from another forum, but I found this guy asking for help.

Hey guys,

If you're in north Louisiana, and you happen to be free around 9:15am, please make your way to Trinity UMC in Ruston. The Westboro Baptist Church will be picketing the funeral of a soldier who died serving our country.

As much as I believe in the right to free speech no matter if I dislike it or not, you do not have the right to be protected from other people's responses.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm reposting from another forum, but I found this guy asking for help.

As much as I believe in the right to free speech no matter if I dislike it or not, you do not have the right to be protected from other people's responses.

I agree. I support their right to say what they want, but I also support the right of the enraged family/friends/onlookers to beat them to a pulp for saying it. It's just the risk you take when you're a dipshit.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    WBC gives Christians a bad name. There is nothing Christian about protesting a fallen soldiers funeral and bringing more pain to their family.:mad:

That's what I wanted to ask. How did this religion/denomination get started? What is REALLY behind it? I refuse to associate it with Christians/Baptists, even though their name implies such, they do not teach what other Christians or Baptists that I know teach/believe.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You have the right to say whatever it is you want to. Westboro has that Right! And I’m glad they do.

…they also have the Right to be responsible and receive the full consequence of their actions for saying whatever it is they wish to say.

The 1st Amendment indeed gives the right to say what you want, but it doesn’t protect you from getting your ass whipped by those whom you’ve pissed off.

…Oh and WBC fails to uphold even the basic principles of Christian Morality.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Just heard from a girl who went to the service. She said the support was great and no one from WBC showed up.

I would be suprised if they did anyway. Ruston is slap full of young students who are easily motivated and the town is slap full of churches. Word can get out quick and WBC really wouldn't stand a chance.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That's what I wanted to ask. How did this religion/denomination get started? What is REALLY behind it? I refuse to associate it with Christians/Baptists, even though their name implies such, they do not teach what other Christians or Baptists that I know teach/believe.

They are lawyers!

I wonder how they have not gotten their asses kicked yet.

They are Lawyers

Because those who oppose WBC, abide by a higher standard...

They are Lawyers!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Whatchu mean "They're lawyers"?
    I'm referring to people like the Aggies and their maroon wall... Students, not lawyers...

Do you mean WBC attendees are lawyers, mostly?

No! The main knucklehead male is a lawyer, the figurehead knucklehead female (the old bag that does all the interviews), is a lawyer, and there is at least one other behind the scenes that is also a lawyer.

They make money for their pathetic BS, by suing people. Most of the suits are settled out of court (with monetary restitution), and they have a cash cow!

Last edited:

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    No! The main knucklehead male is a lawyer, the figurehead knucklehead female (the old bag that does all the interviews), is a lawyer, and there is at least one other behind the scenes that is also a lawyer.

The make money for their pathetic BS, by suing people. Most of the suits are settled out of court (with monetary restitution), and they have a cash cow!
    OK, I see whatchu mean...

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/03/polit...paign=Feed:+rss/cnn_latest+(RSS:+Most+Recent)

The Westboro church, led by pastor Fred Phelps, believes God is punishing the United States for "the sin of homosexuality" through events including soldiers' deaths.

The congregation is made up mostly of Phelps and his family. The pastor has 13 children, at least 54 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

He described himself as an "old-time" gospel preacher in a CNN interview in 2006, saying, "You can't preach the Bible without preaching the hatred of God."

Looks like they are pretty much on their own...

Top Bottom