Veteran with disabilities told to "go occupy Wall Street"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Looks like this guy went into a mattress shop with his service dog and since he didn't look physically disabled they got upset that he had a dog with him. Pretty shitty business I hope he wins his lawsuit.

http://www.dogheirs.com/tamara/post...-dog-kicked-out-told-to-go-occupy-wall-street

Adan says that on the day of the incident, he entered the store with a family member to pick up a previously purchased mattress. Bootz was leashed, never jumped on any furniture, and under control during the entire visit. But, the fact that Bootz was a registered service animal did not sway the owner. The complaint states, "Gholson stated he did not care if the dog was a service animal. Gholson indicated that Mr. Gallegos was in Gholson's place of business and no one could make him do anything in his own building."

Furthermore, "store employees continued the harassment and ridicule after Mr. Gallegos left the building." Adan claims that Gholson called the police on him and that after he had exited the store employees followed after him and told him to remove his Wounded Warrior clothing and "go occupy Wall Street."

Adan is 70% disabled and suffers from depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. Bootz helps him by monitoring his behavior and alerting Adan if he is highly stressed or showing signs of a panic attack. The dog also helps remind him to take his medications.

oBrrP.jpg

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Few things I don't understand how does a service dog helps monitor his behavior and alert him if he is highly stressed and showing signs of panic attack and how does the dog remind him to take his medication? Seems kind of far fetched to me but then I don't know much about service dogs.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I'm no expert, but there are service dogs out there that can sense a seizure before it happens and alert the owner to seek help. All kinds of things these amazing dogs can do.

Either way, if the guys legit then the owner of the store is an ass. I'll reserve judgement until more facts present themselves.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Few things I don't understand how does a service dog helps monitor his behavior and alert him if he is highly stressed and showing signs of panic attack and how does the dog remind him to take his medication? Seems kind of far fetched to me but then I don't know much about service dogs.
    Heck man they can smell out cancer. I'm no expert either but I would not doubt what they can do with dogs these days. Wonderful stuff IMHO.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Dogs pick up on all sorts of stuff from their owner, I could see this being possible. Being that my best friend hanged himself after his last tour in Afghanistan I know that if a dog could have alerted him to a panic attack, or reminded him to take his meds I would have taken a 2nd or 3rd job to pay for the hound to keep him with us today. I hope that if this is legit that he wins.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I don't doubt the story. My wife had our golden retriever trained to be a therapy dog and he works daily with autistic and other special needs children at SELU. See, "The Advocate" 4-10-12, section B, pages 1&2. It's amazing to watch him work.
    Sounds like the people at the furniture store went a little overboard too.
    Things should have ended at the door regardless.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell

They pick up on a lot. They even use them to alert epileptics that they are about to have a seizure. Not far-fetched at all.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Doesn't matter if the dog could or can't. It was a registered service animal and why the man needed him was none of the owners business.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I guess I should rephrase. If it was a service dog. Gotta be some way though, no? I flew with a woman once that had one (to predict seizures). It wasn't marked or anything special. Gotta be some way she proved to bring it in the cabin though. Or else everyone would claim "service dog"? I'm just guessing though.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

The plot thickens. So this happened a year ago and the lawsuit came out of nowhere. I wonder what else will come of this.

The attorney for William "Billy Bob" Gholson, William A. Sherwood released a statement to News 4 WOAI saying in part, "Mr. Gholson and his employees honor the military service of Mr. Gallegos and all veterans and active duty personnel. Billy Bob (BB) regrets the way things occurred and the misunderstanding between Mr. Gallegos and BB."

Sherwood went on to say, "It was a full year ago - October 2011 - that Mr. Gallegos came to Billy Bob's with Bootz. That is when the events occurred. In the full year since then and up until today (October 23, 2012), Billy Bob heard nothing from any lawyers for Mr. Gallegos or from the government or from any other representative of Mr. Gallegos. This is unfortunate because there is no reason for these lawyers to have filed this federal court lawsuit, which they did on October 18, 2012, last Thursday. Soon after this situation Billy Bob - changed his "No Pet" policy. Billy Bob sells mattresses; and pets in the store are a concern. Billy Bob has always allowed service dogs to come into the store when the dogs accompanied a customer with an obvious disability like blindness. Back at the time in October 2011, Billy Bob was not aware of the idea of service dogs for folks - like Mr. Gallegos - who did not have an apparent disability. There seem to be government rules and regulations that Billy Bob did not understand at the time. Billy Bob's current policy addresses this and all service dogs are allowed. Billy Bob is a small business owner with his wife. They have 8 employees. In his lawsuit, Mr. Gallegos says that he wants to return to Billy Bob's. Mr. Gallegos is welcomed with Bootz to come to Billy Bob's. In order to resolve this, Billy Bob is happy to provide a new, free mattress to Mr. Gallegos and to Bootz. Often, Billy Bob will cut down a mattress to size for a customer's pet. Billy Bob continues to offer a military discount to all of our service men and women."

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    The original story just didn't sound right, and this explains it.

Looks like some asshat lawyer got ahold a not-too-bright ex-soldier and convinced him he could make a quick buck here. I very much look forward to seeing how this ends, but right now, I feel sorry for everyone involved, especially the soldier.

Top Bottom