Vintage Military Rifle Match at Palo Alto on March 22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There will be a vintage military match at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville, LA on March 22. Be there by 8:00 am to register. The match is for M1 Garands and Carbines and vintage military bolt guns. The entire match is shot at 200 yards on the military SR target. The course of fire is 5 sighting shots from any position. The next stage is 10 shots in 10 minutes from the prone position. This is followed by 10 shots in 70 seconds from the prone position. Finally, you shoot 10 shots from the standing position in 10 minutes.

We do allow people to fire rifles that do not meet the specifications for the match. However, they are "out of competition". Typically, these rifles are AR-15s and M1As, however, someone brought an FN-49 a couple of months ago.

I like to bring new shooters (at least new to position shooting) to these matches because it lets me help them with their positions and the targets are generous. It is an easy introduction to competitve shooting.

Dig those old war horses out of the closet (I will probably shoot my Schmidt Rubin K-31) and come shoot.

If anyone is interested, contact me and I will give you more information.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You are going to look a bit funny and out of place if you try to shoot that match with a shorty. I will bring you one of the LSA NM ARs. That way you can work on positions and learn to use a sling. Perhaps I can dig up a Garand for you. That will let you know if your position is solid.

Dan

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Sorry, can't make it tomorrow or for the vintage match. But I have sent my money in for the Regional at Palo Alto and I will be at the Gonzales match on the 4th Sunday of the month.
    -Mike

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Mike,

The Gonzales match is the 4th Sunday of the month.

Also, pm or email me so I can make sure you are on the registration list.

Dan

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    4th Sunday of the month is Easter gentlemen. I was told by Mr. Hunt that it will take place on the 30th at Gonzales.

LCPL 4 is correct for this month only. The match is on the 30th.

You guys should have been at Palo Alto today. The wind was awesome. Masters and High Masters shooting in the 160s out of 200 offhand.Typically these same shooters shootin in the high 180s to mid 190s offhand. We had one guy shooting his first match. He hung in there til the end and had a blast. His wife watched the match and decided she wanted to shoot next time. Quite sporting after watching one of the toughest wind days of the year. 15 to 25 mph makes interesting shooting.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Negative, Ghostrider -

You should have been on our float at St. Pattys - we partied like rock stars from about 7 AM to 7 PM... rented out the Caterie after the parade - good times.

Next week, I'll shoot :D

Sounds like a good time. I came home, opened a 99 Cakebread Cabernet and cooked some filets. I am a bit in the bag myself at the moment. Life is good.

Dan

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Dan,
    I am trying to make the vintage match. I have access to 200 yds. So I want to roughly sight my rifles. Can you define what the SR target is? 10 ring diameter etc?
    Thanks
    Donnie

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I've been thinking about joining the club at Palo Alto and start shooting matches too.
    Shooting matches would be a little hard for me right now with a feeding tube hanging out of my gut, can't shoot pron right now.
    I might come out on the 22nd and check out the range and watch everyone kill some paper.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Dan,
    I am trying to make the vintage match. I have access to 200 yds. So I want to roughly sight my rifles. Can you define what the SR target is? 10 ring diameter etc?
    Thanks
    Donnie

In decimal inches as per NRA 4.1 Official Targets

SR 200 yards Short Range

Black -

X - 3.00
    10ring - 7.00
    9ring - 13.00

White -

8ring - 19.00
    7ring - 25.00
    6ring - 31.00
    5ring - 37.00

Won't be able to make it. Family Easter gathering will keep me away. Looking to Sunday after to get some shooting time in.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I've been thinking about joining the club at Palo Alto and start shooting matches too.
    Shooting matches would be a little hard for me right now with a feeding tube hanging out of my gut, can't shoot pron right now.
    I might come out on the 22nd and check out the range and watch everyone kill some paper.

Come on out and meet the guys. Bring snacks and water because they are not available at the range. We do have porta potties.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dan,
    Thanks
    Donnie

Donnie,

If you have any other questions email me at dzelenka at couhigpartners dot com.

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    Let the butt kicking commence

Sorry, can't make it tomorrow or for the vintage match. But I have sent my money in for the Regional at Palo Alto and I will be at the Gonzales match on the 4th Sunday of the month.
    -Mike

I would have kicked you butt at the vintage match anyway.

Coach Dr. Jay

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Had a great time at the shoot.
    I can see where that highpower stuff could be habit forming :-)
    Many thanks to the experienced shooters who helped us nfg's out.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Sorry I didn't get to meet the new guys. Had a family funtion today where I was "forced" to eat big boiled crawfish and shrimp.

The key now is to shoot at ever smaller barns.

Top Bottom