Volunteer at sheriffs office ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    My local sheriffs office is having to lay off people because of financial problems .This is occurring in Washington Parish .I believe our sheriff, Randy Seal ,has been doing a great job since his election .

My question is how can I help him keep the good job going against the drug problem by volunteering . I am NOT a law enforcement type person and I ofcourse don't have a large sum of money to donate. What do you think I can can do to help our sheriff?

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Inability...ouble-for-Washington-Parish-SO-261167891.html

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You may run into the same problem I did.

I was being recruited by a couple deputies in my Parish.
    Wanted me to join the reserves
    To be a part of some reaction team.

When I asked about POST certification
    they said there was a training program
    but they didn't POST certify reserves.

Automatic no-go for me.

Advised by LEO's on this board,
    Carrying a firearm in official capacity without POST could
    Set me up for some serious failure and liability.

May not be the case for you
    But something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Not sure how things work in different parishes but I can vouch for EBR and Livingston parish. First off while a reserve deputy is not officially POST certified all of your training will be given by a POST instructor and you will be giving documentation to back that up,so your training is POST certified. Example, all of your firearm training will have to meet POST requirements and your scores recorded and documented with the state and you will be given a wallet sized card stating such and it is good for one year when you will have to qualify again. Same goes for any other training your department will let you do, taser, pepper spay, asp, horizontal gazes nystagmus test, the list is endless. All of this training will cover you under the sheriffs office umbrella of liability coverage. I have been doing this for over fifteen years and have worked with guys that are on 25 years and not once have I heard of a reserve getting sued personally for anything. We have had some do stupid stuff and get fired but that's another story...lol. As far as trying to just help out there are lots of things you can do without needing a gun, answer phones at the substation, communications, prison, mechanic's , water patrol/flotilla , I volunteer at the range, the list is endless ! Every agency is different, find out what they have to offer or need help with. Free help is usually appreciated . Feel free to message me with your phone number and I would be glad to talk with you about the pros and cons .

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    We have had some do stupid stuff and get fired but that's another story...lol.

I applaud anyone who volunteers to put their life on the line, especially for little or no pay. They have bigger balls than me. But to get fired from a VOLUNTEER job??? That's some funny $hit.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I don't know they operate over there but the have a fine new Comm Center there. I went there a few months ago to take a HAM test. They told me the Sheriff didn't want to move into it.

http://www.wpcde-911.com/newspaper/Comm%20Center.pdf

Randy sees it as an inconvience to use the new center. Says he cant afford to man it. So all the tax moneys and grant moneys are just sitting there, Wasted.

Last edited:

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I know a little about the Ham radio club as I was a Ham operator and my wife was president of the club at one time. Wife and I saw the blueprints when the 911 building was in the planning stage after Katrina.

The club fell apart because of some nay Sayers who wanted their way. Charlie 12; K5RZZ if you hear of some one wanted a good deal on a couple radios give me a holler .

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I know a little about the Ham radio club as I was a Ham operator and my wife was president of the club at one time. Wife and I saw the blueprints when the 911 building was in the planning stage after Katrina.

The club fell apart because of some nay Sayers who wanted their way. Charlie 12; K5RZZ if you hear of some one wanted a good deal on a couple radios give me a holler .

Ok I will. They guys from the Jefferson Club gave my test up there.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I have been fired on my day off, but that is pretty bad getting fired from a job that does not even pay you...

You have to do some pretty stupid things to get fired from a Reserve Division. One example involves getting very drunk and pulling a gun on someone in THEIR car because he thought it was HIS car being stolen. Another example involves the use of a personal vehicle to pull someone over while off-duty. Both of these incidents actually happened and resulted in dismissal and time in jail.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    You have to do some pretty stupid things to get fired from a Reserve Division. One example involves getting very drunk and pulling a gun on someone in THEIR car because he thought it was HIS car being stolen. Another example involves the use of a personal vehicle to pull someone over while off-duty. Both of these incidents actually happened and resulted in dismissal and time in jail.

200_s.gif

how is that even possible... what an idiot. All he had to do was suit up and go get a unit....

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My local sheriffs office is having to lay off people because of financial problems .This is occurring in Washington Parish .I believe our sheriff, Randy Seal ,has been doing a great job since his election .

My question is how can I help him keep the good job going against the drug problem by volunteering . I am NOT a law enforcement type person and I ofcourse don't have a large sum of money to donate. What do you think I can can do to help our sheriff?

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Inability...ouble-for-Washington-Parish-SO-261167891.html

Call and ask him. "Hey, what can I do to lend you guys a hand?" I'll bet he's got SOMETHING he'd love to have a volunteer for.

- - - Updated - - -

I DIDNT USE THE ANIMATED ONE AND YOU DIDNT EVEN NOTICE! :(

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    200_s.gif

how is that even possible... what an idiot. All he had to do was suit up and go get a unit....

It was a young reserve deputy who was using a small blue light in his personal car(only allowed for certain details and special events like a race.) He thought that it was okay to pull people over for traffic violations while off duty. What he did not understand was that off duty LE is only obligated to act when a felony is witnessed or a reasonable belief that a felony is about to take place. What he also failed to understand was that "the rank" have no desire to be called out of bed or away from family to investigate reserve deputies who are supposed to stay out of trouble. Reserves are simply expected to show up for special events and work one shift a week in most cases.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It was a young reserve deputy who was using a small blue light in his personal car(only allowed for certain details and special events like a race.) He thought that it was okay to pull people over for traffic violations while off duty. What he did not understand was that off duty LE is only obligated to act when a felony is witnessed or a reasonable belief that a felony is about to take place. What he also failed to understand was that "the rank" have no desire to be called out of bed or away from family to investigate reserve deputies who are supposed to stay out of trouble. Reserves are simply expected to show up for special events and work one shift a week in most cases.

my question is who gave him that impression. thats a stupid practice about a dozen different ways. im not putting lights in my pov, I cant imagine any situation in which i'd need them and hazards wouldn't suffice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom