Vortex Sparc any thoughts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    The time has come to put a red dot on my Ak First thought was an Aimpoint H-1 but its pricey now I'm not comparing the two b/c I know the H-1 is superior but for $199 can the vortex be beat? If anyone has any firsthand experience with it please do tell.
    Thanks

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Was on sale at slick guns for $159. I've used one and it's a really crisp dot and built really tough but alot of issues turning on in the bag with the power button being on the side.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Bought one, Sighted it in at the range. Put about 100 rounds through my AR. Then it wouldn't turn off. Removed the battery, put it back in, Still wouldn't turn off. Took it back to Academy and they replaced it. Haven't had any trouble with the replacement. On a side note the flimsy lens covers are just that.. Flimsy. Broke the rubber straps that hold them together. Thankfully I kept the first ones (along with the battery). But sight is very well built other than the few problems I had. Holds true. Hope this helps.

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    Where/how will you be mounting it? If it's an Ultimak rail, the heat will destroy most cheap optics.

I'm planning on putting it on this: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...m+Armament+AK+Adaptive+Rail+System&groupid=64
    I know these type of mounts don't have the best reputation but I'll give it a shot if I don't like it I'm going to put it on an Rs micro mount

Also, Vortex CS is one of the best in the business. If it is not right they will make it so.

Yeah I'm aware of the reputation their CS has thats one of the reasons I use their products , that and their lifetime warranty plus I have one of their scopes and I think it's great

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Tested the Sparc on an AR15 through a Costa 2 day tac rifle class - failed it's ass off. Tried using one otherwise, and just don't like it, either.

My opinion is that it's great if you want a .22lr training analog, or a plinker with a red dot.

Not for anything for serious use, and I sincerely doubt it'll survive on an Ultimak.

It's button layout is prone to failure during tac rifle usage, training, or basic drills. It couldn't hold zero on a ****ing 5.56, the dot wandered, let alone anything heftier.

The only thing it's good for is simulating red dot failures and practicing backup sight usage.

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    Tested the Sparc on an AR15 through a Costa 2 day tac rifle class - failed it's ass off. Tried using one otherwise, and just don't like it, either.

My opinion is that it's great if you want a .22lr training analog, or a plinker with a red dot.

Not for anything for serious use, and I sincerely doubt it'll survive on an Ultimak.

It's button layout is prone to failure during tac rifle usage, training, or basic drills. It couldn't hold zero on a ****ing 5.56, the dot wandered, let alone anything heftier.

The only thing it's good for is simulating red dot failures and practicing backup sight usage.

Wow, tell me how you really feel . I appreciate your honesty and even though it's the first truly negative feedback I've heard on this item I do believe you. I dont usually buy cheap I try to get the best I can that way I dont have to worry about it and as I stated in my first post I initially was interested in in the H1 and probably going to go that route . At the same time I'm hoping that vortex has addressed these issues because I do like their products .

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    .........At the same time I'm hoping that vortex has addressed these issues because I do like their products .

Me too. Their crossfire line is cheep Chinese junk, but the Diamondback and Viper lines are great stuff. All of the optics on my rifles are Vortex except for one Nikon and I would not hesitate to trade even for the same power scope in Vortex, even though the Nikon costs considerably more. That said, the Sparc is the exception to the rule. I wouldn't trust one on any of my rifles. I know some people here aren't fans of Suarez or SI, but they reported 3 or 4 Sparc failures in their rifle training classes. On the other hand, I really like my Vortex Strikefire. The power button is still on the side of the optic, so it can still get bumped in storage, but it held zero on my 308 Saiga. I haven't seen any negative reviews on it either.

YMMV.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I was looking into getting a Vortex Strikefire or sparc and decided to go with the Strikefire. Got it in today and vortex sent the wrong mount with it. I ordered the AR high mount and received one that barely gets it off the rail. So I decided to turn it on and check it out. At first it would not turn on night vision then after a series of button pushes it went to nv and now I can't get it off of nv. The dot is barely visible in dark so I guess I'll be sending it back. I no longer would recommend this brand.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I was looking into getting a Vortex Strikefire or sparc and decided to go with the Strikefire. Got it in today and vortex sent the wrong mount with it. I ordered the AR high mount and received one that barely gets it off the rail. So I decided to turn it on and check it out. At first it would not turn on night vision then after a series of button pushes it went to nv and now I can't get it off of nv. The dot is barely visible in dark so I guess I'll be sending it back. I no longer would recommend this brand.

Call them. They will fix your problem quick, fast, and in a hurry. Then please post back and let us know.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Unless you were in an absolute hurry, ya shoulda tried their customer service. They hate it when there stuff doesn't work right and are known for bending over backwards for ya. I mean going way out of their way to make sure you are happy.

Anyhow, you got it solved. I'm sure you're going to love your new Strikefire. Enjoy!

ManiacAndrew

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    Really liked my strikefire, shot great at the range but when I took it to Nate's carbine one the battery shorted and I had to shoot through the tube for the last two drills. Vortex told me that they would fix or replace it but I cant trust something that failed in training.

Top Bottom