VW TDI, Toyota Corola or....?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    So I did the math.... By the time I hit 12 months with my truck I will hit 40,000 miles/year.

Then I did more math.... 14MPG... for another 100k miles...

I need my truck to use as a tow vehicle, but theres plenty of driving I do for work and personal that I don't need it for.

If I got something with good gas mileage.... I could spend $10k on the car and still come out ahead. Not to mention putting off replacing an expensive truck!

I see TDI's 2002-2006 with 150k on them (should get another 100k easy with few problems) going for $5k-$8k.
    Better millage, and from what I'm told a little more comfortable. (I'll pay a little more to be comfortable)

Nothing like a Honda fit... I have a SHREAD of dignity, and I need at minimum 'normal car clearance' to make it to my property.

Corollas aren't as nice, or get as good millage, but they are like a timex or AK....

I like having 3 makes and models when I'm shopping.... Any warnings about the above, or other recommendations? (not much of a car guy)

Thanks

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    I have heard horror stories on vw maintenance. No first hand experience. Girl I um "knew" spend $1100 to fix her horn and turning signal. Granted this work was done at the dealership. And it was a jetta with 80k miles.

My sister has a corolla with 150k miles. No major problems to speak of.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Vw is expensive to maintain, even more so on the tdi.
    Corolla is cheap to maintain and last well.
    Civic is same with even better gas mileage.
    I went with a scion box recently to replace my civic. Mpg not as good but has a ton of room and I am secure enough to drive it.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    VW maintenance is no harder or more expensive than any other car. I had a few over the years and have always done the work my self with basic tools no specialty tools. Other than changing the timing belt and water pump at 80k everything else is your basic filters and lube. I have seen the TDI Jetta and Golf get 70 mpg on the highway. I would stay away from a beetle just because things are tight under the hood.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I'm not a car guy either but we bought a 2012 Passat TDI and I love it. We get roughly 50mpg on the hwy and 44 in the city. Had it 2 years now and no probs as of yet. I had heard horror stories about the older TDIs but that was because they were assembled in Mexico. The new Passats are assembled in Tn. with German parts but the Jettas are still assembled in Mex. Can't really go wrong with a Honda or Toyota either, both great dependable cars as long as they were maintained right.

mtalbert

Deer Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Monroe
    I can tell you in my shops you will pay twice as much to PROPERLY maintain a VW. Just because the fluids are more expensive. That being said the VW is a great vehicle.
    I generally buy my wife a Toyota or Honda. I have never had any issues with either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I love when people point fingers at vw for maintenance costs. It really isn't much different. We have the stigma of a terrible dealer that "up sells" services and is expensive to begin with. You just can't neglect the car. On the tdi. You have to DO the timing belt AT or before 80k. A anything over and clearly you like to gamble. My mom has an 06. The mk5 gen is a great step up from mk4s (2000-2004.5) vs 2005-2009. She does great. I change the oil at 10k. Use the correct approved oil. And fuel filter every other. Takes me about 30 mins and $60.

I drive a 2011 2.0 tdi daily and have had vws since 2004.

You pretty much have to order stuff online and buy a Bently manual to save money, time and headaches. But they are great cars. And if its a beater, look at even older ones like 1996-98 passats. But ok mk4 should be around $2k

Last edited:

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    We commute 50 miles every day in a scion xb.

Great car with tons of room and super cheap. We have 110k on my 2009 and have no issues.

I'd get that or the corolla with your specific needs.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    The Reality of the VW is...... ITs true, parts and fluids "DO" cost more. Even though we do NOT charge the inflated labor like some places [ I dont charge any extra for any vehicle]
    Now the trick is, there is nothing worse than picking up a used VW that has "NOT" been maintained properly, and this is where the bad name comes in.
    The second owner is usually hit with repairs neglected by the first owner.

Find you a 1 owner VW with "PROOF" of maintenance.
    ON any used car, when the owner says "This car has been great, I have not spent any money on it" [ people think changing your oil every 3k miles is the only proper maintenance] RUN AWAY...........

Last draw back is the VW electronics. Get a bug or communication issue [ which no one can predict ] and your screwed !

Are VW's good cars, YES............. But you MUST be picky when choosing one. It would be my last pick unless I found that "PERFECT" car second hand.

Good luck !

INVEST $100 for a good bumper to bumper inspection before you purchase "ANY" car...........
    Chain stores generally will not do a used car inspection properly.
    A good local shop is your best bet ! Someone that knows how to read and understand adaptive strategy computer data.
    Someone that can find a problem even if the "check engine light" is NOT on. [dumbing it down :ninja:]

Vince

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    My commuter is a 2008 Corolla. We bought new and havent had any problems other than losing hubcaps. I get 35 mpg consistently since i started using ethanol free gasoline. 31 to 33 before that. Most of my driving is in Lafayette. IIRC my last highway run was over 40 mpg. I have no complaints.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    An 8-10 year old tdi with 150k on it (like what the op was spec'ing) WILL be more expensive to keep on the road than a Toyota or Honda. Guaranteed. Fluids isn't that big a deal, it's the parts that will be replaced within the next 100k. Starter, alt, water pump, ball joints, etc all cost more for the vw that Honda or Toyota.
    The tdi is a good car but I wouldn't have a gas vw that wasn't under warranty. There is a reason they are dirt cheap once the get 100k on the clock. Same with bmw, Benz, Volvo, etc.

When talking gas saver work cars, I am thinking cheap, 100k+ and decent mileage. My civic had right at 200k on it when I sold it. My xb has 160k on it now. I have had a couple rangers and a corolla with 150k. Every one of these was under $5k and a coupe were under $500. They pay for them self quickly when you compare to my truck that cost over $100 just for oil and filter and get 18mpg diesel on a good day. Also not wearing out a truck that is expensive to replace- this is the most important part.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Ford Focus / Fusion I don't care what anyone says . Ford is building some really elegant vehicles these days. You don't feel like your driving a cheap car. My buddy just got a Taurus and I could not believe it was a Taurus...... It's freaking NICE lol.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    . But ok mk4 should be around $2k

WHERE can I find a "not dogged out" MK4 for $2k!?!

I'm seeing them 140-150k on them (that's 2002- early 2005 right?) for $5k-$8k

I'll admit I'm biased towards both VW and diesel. I love diesel's for their reliability and longevity, and my first car was a little standard hatchback GTI.

My cheap side is pushing me towards a yota, but also, 40,000 miles/year.... A nicer seat might be nice!!!

I need to go sit in some cars.
    And yes, I'm paying cash, not buying new.

And I HATE THE FIT/focus!!!:puke:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    WHERE can I find a "not dogged out" MK4 for $2k!?!

I'm seeing them 140-150k on them (that's 2002- early 2005 right?) for $5k-$8k

I'll admit I'm biased towards both VW and diesel. I love diesel's for their reliability and longevity, and my first car was a little standard hatchback GTI.

My cheap side is pushing me towards a yota, but also, 40,000 miles/year.... A nicer seat might be nice!!!

I need to go sit in some cars.
    And yes, I'm paying cash, not buying new.

And I HATE THE FIT/focus!!!:puke:

you already answered your own question and your not going to find a MK4 tdi for 2k, unless it needs a lot of work. The seats in a vw are more comfortable than a yota or civic for sure. Just look for a well maintained tdi, they are hard to beat when it comes to mpg and reliability. And for the nay sayers the alternator, starter, brake pads, etc.....is no more expansive for a vw than a Toyota. You can get a corolla for cheap and it'll get good mpg and be reliable, but it will not be as near as comfortable or as safe to drive, and that's a fact Jack!

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Not true, vw parts are more expensive.
    For quick and easy comparison I used autozone because their site is easy to navigate. The results will be much more dramatic if buying from the dealer and especially on newer vw because the newer it is the more parts are dealer only. Simple economics, the most popular models will normally have the cheapest parts- think gm small block.
    03 civic vs 03 jetta tdi
    Alternator 139 vs 195
    Starter 90 vs 115
    Water pump 33 vs 67
    Ball joint. 15 vs 26
    All same class/ line of parts, reman compare to reman, new to new.
    You will also find that average labor times will be higher on the vw, see a estimate manual for reference.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    For quick and easy comparison I used autozone because their site is easy to navigate. The results will be much more dramatic if buying from the dealer and especially on newer vw because the newer it is the more parts are dealer only. Simple economics, the most popular models will normally have the cheapest parts- think gm small block.
    03 civic vs 03 jetta tdi
    Alternator 139 vs 195
    Starter 90 vs 115
    Water pump 33 vs 67
    Ball joint. 15 vs 26
    You will also find that average labor times will be higher on the vw, see a estimate manual for reference.

you are right on labor rates. All shops charge more which makes pointing fingers easy. I do pretty much all my ownwork. I am also very mechanically inclined and have the correct tools. And love tinkering on things vw. My gf went and got a brand new 2013 focus about 8-9 months after I got my tdi. It is cheaper to drive than my new VW tdi (cost is .07 cents to .09 cents per mile). But you can't compare the interior quality and comforts that my VW has to a mid range foucs. Her seats are terrible. She spends a lot of time in her car for work (about 4-5 hours daily). She has asked multiple times is I can find a way to swap in VW seats to her car...

If you dont want to pay for a VW, get a civic. My vw mechanic friend and his family exclusively drive mk4 jetta tdis. His dad has an 03 and is well over 320k miles with just basic maintenance, 1 clutch and a timing belt every 80k.

I'd take a vw over a civic any day for daily driving

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    "Any warnings about the above, or other recommendations? (not much of a car guy)"

Nomad, go to this website for more information on the TDI's than can be digested in one sitting. Information that covers all the different TDI models and what to look for or stay away from.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/

Back in 2011 I started looking for a car to drive to work every day. I think I sat in just about every make and model similar in size to the VW Jetta. It was the most comfortable car for me. Most of the smaller cars either didn't have the legroom or headroom or it felt like I was sitting on a plank for a seat. I am 6'3" and a bit over 200 lbs so I wanted extra room. I also was driving over an hour each way to work. So comfort was important as well as fuel economy.

Also, I did a cost comparison when I was looking. I averaged about 40K per year also. The VW TDI's, although a lttle more expensive up front than a comparable (equipment/features) gas sedan of the same size, annual cost to operate was less than the gas versions, even with more expensive filters and fluids. Oil changes are only every 10K miles and fuel filter every 20K miles. I even added in the cost for changing the transmission fluid every 40K miles which is about $150 in fluids and parts. The biggest savings was in fuel economy ( i used a $.50 per gallon differential between the cost of gasoline and diesel). Not using mfr's advertised mpg but going to various car testing sites to see what actual results were during testing. Real world mpg of about 44 for the MK6 TDI. Once through the breakin period of the first 5K miles or so, my mpg continued to rise until it leveled off around 46 as an average. I measured this every day traveling 104 miles round trip every day with mostly back roads and many stops and traffic lights. Steady driving at 60-65 mph would get around 52 mpg.

Just my opinion and information. There are some risks with the diesel, but if you take care of it it should last a very long time.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    03 civic vs 03 jetta tdi
    Alternator 139 vs 195
    Starter 90 vs 115
    Water pump 33 vs 67
    Ball joint. 15 vs 26
    I've always done my own maintenance, and ordered most of my parts from reputable aftermarket online dealers and never had any major problems, I owned a civic and many VW's and would pay the extra cost any day not to drive a civic. The VW is much more safer and it pays for itself being a diesel with the savings in mpg and longer maintenance intervals. But to each his own, most of the people who trash VW never owned or driven one.

Top Bottom