Wahhh,wahhh,wahhh

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    We, as proponents of the Second Amendment, are at fault for the coming assault on our Constitutionally given rights. Why ? Because we as a group are lethargic. So long as it's not affecting me, we will beat the drum and make loud noises but continue to do NOTHING.

We need to write our representatives at ALL levels of goverment. ALL of them, no matter what their party affiliation.

Who are yours ? Go here, http://www.legis.state.la.us/

and here is some contact info........http://www.legis.state.la.us/

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Am I a hipster if I did it before you even posted?

Also.. our fault? I'm sorry but looking around at court cases and current state of the firearms industry, legislation, court decisions, and public perception - I'd say we were doing just fine. Everything was going well, improving, gaining.

This event would have had no difference no matter what we did - and it's not like we can keep the President from talking.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Am I a hipster if I did it before you even posted?

Also.. our fault? I'm sorry but looking around at court cases and current state of the firearms industry, legislation, court decisions, and public perception - I'd say we were doing just fine. Everything was going well, improving, gaining.

This event would have had no difference no matter what we did - and it's not like we can keep the President from talking.

I don't personally give two sharts when you did it so long as you did.

Our recent wins in the courts and public perception are us making up ground we've lost. We gained nothing. We have a long way to go. We didn't win jack squat.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sadly, my rep is Cedric Richmond. He and I do not see anywhere near eye-to-eye on most things, let alone this issue.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I don't personally give two sharts when you did it so long as you did.
    You had much luck in getting a response?

I didn't even get an automated email from anyone except my local State representative, which isn't really an issue, but I felt like letting her know my opinion so nothing local occurred in lieu of Federal, lol.

Then I got a followup email from the local State Rep, which was nice.

No one up on Capitol Hill responded to me; senators or my rep.

Best I got was a message left over the phone to an aide and left my info so they could contact me if needed... notta. I've never been ignored like this before. I wonder if they're getting flooded, or somethin?

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    No, I haven't gotten anything, but I'm persistent. I email them every couple of weeks if they don't respond. After the second time I usually get something from most of them.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    We, as proponents of the Second Amendment, are at fault for the coming assault on our Constitutionally given rights. Why ? Because we as a group are lethargic. So long as it's not affecting me, we will beat the drum and make loud noises but continue to do NOTHING.

We need to write our representatives at ALL levels of goverment. ALL of them, no matter what their party affiliation.

Who are yours ? Go here, http://www.legis.state.la.us/

and here is some contact info........http://www.legis.state.la.us/

First of all let me say I have written to all of my federal legislators and expressed my views on any form of a weapons, magazine or ammo ban. I’m lucky, my House member is a strong supporter of the second amendment as is one of Louisiana’s Senators.

Not sure if you are advocating writing to state level legislators or just providing an easy link to locate your U.S. House member (the link you provided is great). If you are calling on people to contact state officials my question would be why would you write to your state rep? They have nothing to do with any federal legislation that may or may not be in the works. As for writing to member of the Senate or the House that are not your Senator or House member, you are wasting your time. If you are not a constituent your voice makes no difference to them; unless they have plans on running at the national level. If you want to have a real impact on the issue write to your member of the House and U.S. Senators (send the mail to one of the district offices if it goes to DC it will take forever to get through the security screening). Louisiana’s Senator David Vitter is strongly pro 2nd Amendment; Mary Landrieu is questionable and probably depends more on if she is running for reelection in 2014.

When you contact your legislator don’t use a form letter they don’t show the same level of personal concern for the issue. Be articulate and brief, the more BS in the letter the more likely it will be pitched in the round file, aka the trashcan. Don’t go the pounding the chest method or the pry it from my cold dead hands route. It doesn’t impress and only makes us look like knuckle draggers. Know your rep/senator position on the issue first and tailor your letter to that. If they are pro second amendment, tell them thank you and that they can count on your support in the fight to protect the second amendment. If they are on the fence and to a lesser degree anti second amendment explain why you feel they should support it. Also (in a polite way) explain to them that you will watch how they vote on the issue and that you will vote accordingly the next time they are up for reelection.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'll chime in since I'm one that went out of his way to write the local State Rep.

I wrote because they represent me and I want my opinion heard. I /should/ be letting them know the opinions I hold because they represent me all the time, but unfortunately it's usually times of crisis only, that I voice myself. I wrote to them mainly because the democratic part of our republic only works if the people speak. No reason not to make sure she knows guns are important. Stay silent long enough and they might forget and by then it may be too late.

I know they have nothing to do with the House/Senate bills in Washington. I just wanted to make sure we don't spawn any more-domestic "Assault Weapon Haters" because of Capitol Hill.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    I'll chime in since I'm one that went out of his way to write the local State Rep.

I wrote because they represent me and I want my opinion heard. I /should/ be letting them know the opinions I hold because they represent me all the time, but unfortunately it's usually times of crisis only, that I voice myself. I wrote to them mainly because the democratic part of our republic only works if the people speak. No reason not to make sure she knows guns are important. Stay silent long enough and they might forget and by then it may be too late.

I know they have nothing to do with the House/Senate bills in Washington. I just wanted to make sure we don't spawn any more-domestic "Assault Weapon Haters" because of Capitol Hill.

Fair enough, I was just wondering.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    J-Dog, I advocate writing everyone starting with your Councilmen. Yes, even them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and for to long we as a whole have let the libs be heard with very little objection. Most politicians start right there. They need to be conditioned to what matters to the people they represent. You need to get them on record where they stand on all issues important to you.
    We need to remember their answers.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    I would, but given the Chicago style of politics played in this state, I would expect a polite letter would be twisted around and shown as threatening or hateful and used in media events, as the letter clutched in a shaking fist, the politican declares they will not succomb to threats. Then, shortly afterwards, a concerned neighbor calls in an anonymous tip and my door comes off the hinges at 3:00am.

Is that me being tinfoil, or could it really happen?

JamesBlake

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    I would, but given the Chicago style of politics played in this state, I would expect a polite letter would be twisted around and shown as threatening or hateful and used in media events, as the letter clutched in a shaking fist, the politican declares they will not succomb to threats. Then, shortly afterwards, a concerned neighbor calls in an anonymous tip and my door comes off the hinges at 3:00am.

Is that me being tinfoil, or could it really happen?

I haven't heard of many seditious acts warrants lately BUT this is the day of the door meeting the dog at 3: AM and neither surviving.

Top Bottom