Wal-Mart Gun in hand....what would you do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do? Apparently Emotionally disturbed man with gun in Wal-Mart.

• I carry less-lethal and would attempt to use it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    While I do carry and feel confident in my abilities if in fact I ever had to draw down on someone, I'm picking #3. The last thing I want to do is kill someone, keeping in mind that if I had no other option, there would be no hesitation on my part. My first option will always be to create distance as quickly as possible as in "feet don't fail me now". If that option is not available, then all bets are off. For those of you who chose #2 I would be a bit concerned about what happens when Law Enforcement shows up - they are responding to a call of a man in the store with a gun. If you choose #2 what does that make you, a man in a store with a gun. Just a thought.

if you call 911 you can describe him and explain your scrip to them and make sure when they come your gun is away in the holster if it is possible.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^^^ +1

Of course being a gun enthusiast I'd be really tempted to walk up to him and discuss why he chose that particular gun. Maybe start a 9mm vs .45 discussion or glock vs XD vs 1911 discussion. By the end of those conversations the local LEO should have had time to surround the place and set up lights as well as bring in HRT, seal team 6, USSS, the Blue helmet NATO team, and even the Polish GROM commandos!

crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    I would try to create distance and remove myself from the property and then dial 911. If my way out was blocked by the gunman then I would take cover, draw, prepare myself for a possible confrontation, and dial 911 if feasable.

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    I would grab some old lady and use her as a human sheild. After he emptied his clip, I would beat him to death with her lifeless body.

I chose no.3. I am a bitch. Not trying to die over a bunch of stuff I really dont need in the first place.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I can't edit the poll, maybe one of our more motivated moderators like Windsorfox can edit it to add that option. I think I made it capable of multiple ]selections though.

Can a mod add the same as number two but add "and call 911" Thanks

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If you pick one, the main thing is you would not draw gun.

If you choose two, we will assume in addition to drawing gun and taking cover, you would also call 911.

Sorry about the mess up. So if you wanted the combo, dial #2. ;)

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    If you pick one, the main thing is you would not draw gun.

If you choose two, we will assume in addition to drawing gun and taking cover, you would also call 911.

Sorry about the mess up. So if you wanted the combo, dial #2. ;)

Than #2 it is.

If I'm alone, cover, draw, keep subject in view, 911, keep subject in sights. If he is just sitting having a private conversation with himself, sit and wait for LE.

If his muzzle points at anyone, THREAT!!!, double tap, did I hit? did it work?, reapply as needed to remove threat, approach/secure weapon, reholster.

If with family, remove them from harm, 911.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    I don't carry yet, so I would beat feet and then dial 911. If this were after I get my CHP, then it would depend if he were "sitting there having a private conversation with himself" or pointing it at anyone. If it looked like he was going to shoot (or already had started shooting) I would feel morally obligated to act. If I were with any loved ones, their safety would be the first priority, but after getting them out of harms way I think I would still try to stop the guy from hurting anyone else. I may be wrong, I might freak out and just want to get out of the store.

For those of you who are husbands/fathers/have people that depend upon you, I understand not wanting to risk being unable to support your family in the future. With my circumstances, I feel that if I have the ability and opportunity to stop innocent lives from being lost, then I should do everything possible to do so. I would probably lose a lot of sleep knowing that people died because I wasn't willing to help. I guess it goes back to "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    "This is the info you have... Let's assume you are alone."

He went into the restroom SO:

If unarmed: GTFO. Take as many people out the front or back door as you can and hide behind a steel dumpster... I believe A handgun round will go through all that China Mart <(R)@p with great ease so cover is not good. Concealment is defeated by store design, Anti-shoplifting, if said nut-job goes walkabout.

If armed: If in the check out line and this guy comes toward you "with a 9-millimeter handgun and two fully loaded clips in his hand". Watch his hands, hands kill. And no second guessing that uber deep concealment method and unchambered gun now No No.. Heres the ambush you were told about, no do-overs like in skool.

Elevate to code RED from yellow (or white :)) and as he went into the restroom because you are a total code white looser and missed the threat untill it chose to enter the restroom, take cover and keep eyes on the doorway while you call it to 911. Or:

Confront the armed man with deadly force if threatened with same. And when the wife asks why you took 10 hours to get one friggin gallon of milk at 2AM, you can stand there with a blown up milk jug, cap still sealed and all, and tell her how you shot a man who threatened you with a gun... She will still be pissed about the milk, BTW.Or:

You and your gun could be the first ones out the door because he had 'That' look in his eyes and you know you are not that good a shot. All those paper targets rarely shot back, and those were probably ricochets, this nut-job has at least 20 rounds, likely 45 to 52. Can you say "International News Event".

Thinking out loud:

Scenes like this attract rubber-neckers, it would be nice to clear them away form the line of fire if he comes out blasting, like he probably was contemplating. On his timeline BTW.

Shoppers and clerks will likely be processing or just ignore the danger outright and not abandon their baskets quickly enough to preserve their lives. Fight or Flight manifests as Freeze all too often. It's to a mass killers' advantage.

They may try to go the another checkout farther down the row or retreat but still watch the "show" as reality 'does not include a FMJ in my body. I don't deserve to be a victim.'

If no one is acting to clear the on-lookers, I'd probably command them to drop everything and leave the area as I too retreat, people will listen when told by someone who looks to be in charge. I cannot see me pulling out a gun preparing for a fight with so many unknowns all arround.

Out of the store if possible, distance is your friend. Call 911, give exact info on perp location, clothes or lack thereof, and if you are still in play that you are legally armed awaiting the Police. Your description and shirt color and ask police dispatcher to repeat that back.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    If the weapon were still hostered and it were just an argument, I'd keep an eye on the situation from a distance. Could just be MEM, p/o'd with some idiot accosting him for O.C.'ing. Maybe shopping for a new motorcycle................................................

Of course, I'm not an LEO, either.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    DAMN IT SON!
    I want to be in Wally World with you when I'm shopping Witiku!

We pay people with training, body armor and all kinds of gizmos and backup to
    handle these situations. There is no shame in retreating and going home without the jug of milk.

Hows that go. Every fight you avoid, you win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom