Walgreens fires worker saving his coworkers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    Something to think about, if you shop at Walgreens.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2011/05/18/local_news/4820927.txt

BENTON TOWNSHIP - A photograph of four children tucked in a thank-you card from a coworker reminds Jeremy Hoven he did the right thing.

But doing "the right thing" cost the night shift pharmacist his job at the Walgreens drugstore at Napier Avenue and M-139. The national pharmacy chain fired Hoven on Monday, eight days after he fired his handgun to foil an armed robbery and a potentially deadly hostage situation at the store.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yea walgreens, cvs, and most major retailers have a no gun policy. I think its crazy, but at the same time I understand that by doing so, the retailers insurance costs go down. It's a shame the pharmacist lost his job, and i feel the same way working in the pharmacy in one of the not so nice parts of town, do I carry and potentially lose my job? Or do I just rely on luck hoping that nothing ever happens.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    Stephen, I guess in your case it's a matter of which is worse. I heard an interview with him and he said that he didn't know of anything in Walgreen's policy that prevented him from carrying.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Not knowing, or claiming not to know, of the policy does not mean it does not exist, nor that you're free of the repercussions.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Not knowing, or claiming not to know, of the policy does not mean it does not exist, nor that you're free of the repercussions.

nobody who posted above you said that it did, so I'm curious as to why you feel compelled to point this out. in other discussions here you seem to always show up to bang the gong of the haters. why is that? are you captain of the debate team or what?

seems to me that the OP was simply pointing out that Walgreens is not pro-firearms or pro-self defense so that we, as consumers, can shop elsewhere if we choose in support of the stores that may be firearm friendly. it's called voting with your wallet and I didn't read anything above yours crying out for the guy that lost his job.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    In the interview I heard, the guy didn't regret doing it either and didn't seem to be angry about being dismissed (was sort of annoyed about being let go via email). He just sort of accepted his action as the "better choice" regardless of the result that happened. He did say he doesn't plan to work nights anymore.

Interview with Ginny Simone here: http://nra.ncms.brandednews.com/assets/podcasts/05_19_11_The_Daily_News.mp3

Last edited:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    nobody who posted above you said that it did, so I'm curious as to why you feel compelled to point this out. in other discussions here you seem to always show up to bang the gong of the haters. why is that? are you captain of the debate team or what?

seems to me that the OP was simply pointing out that Walgreens is not pro-firearms or pro-self defense so that we, as consumers, can shop elsewhere if we choose in support of the stores that may be firearm friendly. it's called voting with your wallet and I didn't read anything above yours crying out for the guy that lost his job.

Was just making conversation. Sucks for the guy. I'm sorry if you feel like I banged someone's gong. I'll try to stick to banging their sisters in the future.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    If there is a policy of any type the employee must have written notice of the policy. Firing employees over "latent" policies begs for a lawsuit.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    "When I fired, it was simply suppressive fire, to establish my safe zone.":eek3:
    Cotter said he would not release store video images until there are arrests. But accounts offered by Hoven, Cotter and Benton Township police appear consistent.
    Can't wait.:D
    If there is a policy of any type the employee must have written notice of the policy. Firing employees over "latent" policies begs for a lawsuit.
    The way he worded it in the interview:

"I am not aware of a policy regarding lawfully concealed weapons."

I'm guessing there is a board policy against weapons, but nothing explicitly stating CHP holders.

:)

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria

I agree with you, and after reading someones comments earlier in this thread, I take it that they drink. So, next time pour yourself a big tall glass of "Shut The Hell Up" and don't comment!

cajunranger

Ghost
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    DeRidder
    I'm a Walgreens store manager. Yes there is a policy regarding weapons carried in the store. Every employee receives the training and is required to acknowldge it. Like I tell my employees, the money is not theirs let the crook have it and let the professionals (the police) catch them. The pharmacist knows he was not allowed to have a weapon in the store. The e-mail firing is really chickenshit. As a former Army Ranger I would have also gone to guns. (Dont tell my employer).

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Benton Harbor pharmacist who shot at robbers sues Walgreens for firing

After he foiled a robbery by pulling a handgun out of his pocket, Benton Harbor pharmacist Jeremy Hoven said he was fired from his job at Walgreens.

Now, he's fired back with a federal lawsuit against Walgreens alleging wrongful termination.

He filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids this week, the latest development in the controversial case that has made headlines across the country, and angered many, particularly those who back gun rights.

He said he had a right to act in self-defense and in defense of others.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/08/benton_harbor_pharmacist_who_s.html

:)

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I would quit WG in a minit if there were a major store that was gunfriendly, but there isn't. Might try wal mart but theres no drive thru, which would affect Ms Dawg plus I'm sure a lot of non walking customers. Bunch of drugstores but they open and close at will, but sometimes the customer needs them at the odd hour.

Ok, I hate WG for what they did...it was chickenshit and same for Pizza Hut ( where I do not go ) but it's like not buying from Wally b/c they are chinese..it would cost a lot of us a bunch of extra gas and time to run around looking for stuff and prices to equal Wally.

Can't speak for everyone but we got a lot of month at the end of our money as it stands now.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    All you or I can do is boycott where feasabile...cutting off the nose to spite the face is just counter prodictive.

Top Bottom