Walther Pistols

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joey9139122

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Anyone have any experience with these? Looks like they put alot into the ergonomics of the pistol. How do they feel? Are they a reliable and accurate pistol?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Played with a few P99's (QA) recently. The ergos were impressive (other than the mag release, which I dislike on HKs as well), the fit and finish were superb, the reliability wasn't tested enough to say for sure (but perfect for several hundred rounds), and the QuickAction trigger was short and sweet.

The 8 pound pull they advertise, however, was a gross understatement-- at least for the two I messed with. You can replace them with a Glock striker spring and make it notably better, but it's still pretty stout. You end up with a SA feel with DA weight, and it takes some getting used to. As in-- more than most people will ever bother to train around/into.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I own a P5 currently and have owned the PP before. I've shot a P88.

I've never heard of anyone have reliability or accuracy issues with a P99. But then all handguns made in that price range are going to be very reliable when compared to semi automatic of 20 or even 10 years ago. We live in an age of great competition between the big handgun makers and the consumers have reaped the benefits. My suggestion is find someone who owns one or rent one at the range and shoot it. If you like how it feels. Buy one.

Dave

Last edited:

ShipWreck

Beretta 92 Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Texas, but from Louisiana
    I have owned a few P99s. Great guns. The PPQ looks interesting.

Walther's parent company, and airgun company, makes the 22 and 380 Walther guns. They just stamp "Walther" on the gun. But, it's not REALLY a "Walther" made gun.

There are a lot of reported issues with both the 22 and 380 handguns they sell. I personally wouldn't buy either of those...

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    The PPQ evidently has a phenomenal trigger. I wouldn't know personally, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one. I had a P99 AS at one time, really nice gun, just went in a different direction.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Loved my P99 till I shot a CZ 75B. Its been a disease for me since. I've since sold all of my polymer guns and got CZ 75s and clones thereof.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have had Walthers all of my life. They were the most modern pistols of their time; which was the 1930's & '40's.

Today, they are anachronisms. Get a GLOCK or a S&W ! If you want a .22, get a Ruger.

leVieux

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Mk II or III probably the easiest guns to shoot and very comfortable!! As for the P-38s, still have a few and will keep them. Yes they are outdated but are what helped create many of our pistols used today. Historic pieces for sure. If necessary, they will still do what they were intended to do!!

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I have had Walthers all of my life. They were the most modern pistols of their time; which was the 1930's & '40's.

Today, they are anachronisms. Get a GLOCK or a S&W ! If you want a .22, get a Ruger.

leVieux

Anachronism? In what way?

Reliable designs that have stood the test of time and still do what they advertise as doing. Namely going bang when you pull the trigger, but with a tad bit of historical elan'. And this is coming from a Glock dude too.

So...are they out of date because they are made of steel? (PP, TPH (a GREAT concealable lil blaster that is accurate as all hell to boot)

Want more modern materials and still like your Walthers? How about the P99 or PPS (another real nice concealable uber accurate shooter, but with a funky mag release I'll admit). .22's? How about the SPM22 which is a pretty accurate shooter, relatively inexpensive, has a much better optic attachment platform than the Ruger (since it was specifically mentioned) and is used in international competitions.

I guess I'm a bit more "forgiving" of others choices but I don't see ANYTHING wrong with carrying a PP or PPK in .380 as a BUG, have previously owned a TPH too that I seriously regret selling as it was just weirdly accurate for such a small pistol, and their modern offerings, while not nearly as popular as others, are still pretty nice guns imo. But they are not popular I'll admit. I just don't get "anachronisims" though.

You like them, buy them and enjoy the heck out of them. If I get the term anachronism correctly as used above, forget about 1911's, Hi Powers, or anything else not "modern" in design.

YMMV. Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom