Walther PPS - Good for the wife? UPDATE, Bought a PPS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    My wife has finally decided to get her permit and begin carrying. So, we are trying to decide what she should carry. She hates my LCP, can't get the hang of the PM9's trigger, etc. etc. Out of all of my guns she shoots the G26 the best. She loves the trigger, but the grip is just too big for her and she has a hard time getting a quick grip on it.

I have been looking at the Walther PPS 9mm and trying to read up on it. Although I haven't had one in hand yet, it looks to be sort of like a single stack G26 in form and function.

A guns and ammo article just raved about the trigger. http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/thin-is-in?page=3 I mean if the trigger is really that great it may just replace my PM9 that I love so much.

Anyway, does anyone have any hands on experience with the PPS they could relate?

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Don't know about the PPS but I absolutely love my P99. I've had it for about 9 years with NO problems whatsoever. What I love the most about it is I believe like the P99 you can change the backstrap (3 choices) for a more custom fit. Also, if it is like the P99 you can change out the front blade (they give you 3) and adjust the rear to suit your aim. Its not a cheap gun but worth it. I also like the trigger settingfrom the factory.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    my friend bought one recently. It shot just fine for the two of us, but when his wife shot it she got a stovepipe every time. We came to the conclusion that she was limp wristing it, because no one had any malfunctions except for her, and she has a malfunction with almost every shot.

I don't know about your wife's shooting habits, but the gun, being as light as it is, seems to be very prone to jams when hot held firmly.

If she is an experienced shooter or at least has a strong grip she will probably be fine.

Aside from that, I really liked the gun. It is super, super flat and slim. It must be a dream to carry.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    My wife, lovely and talented though she may be, would have to be considered a beginning shooter. My G26 had its only failure to date while she was shooting it. It was a failure to extract that I suspected was a limp wristing issue. So, if the PPS proves to be sensitive to limp wristing then I may have to reassess. Thanks, that is the kind of info I was hoping to get.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I'm glad that my limited experience with the gun happened to be exactly the experience you needed.

Like I said, maybe it wouldn't be a problem for your wife, and it wouldn't be something that she couldn't learn to do right, but my friend's wife is also a beginning shooter (not really that, even) and she was having problems.

My theory is that when a gun is that light it is more susceptible to failure from limp-wristing because there isn't enough inertia to work against the action of the slide. With a gun like that, limp wristing is something a shooter really needs to get a grip on, pardon the pun.

If she is willing to put in the effort to overcome bad habits like limp-wristing I'm sure the gun would be fine for her, but that's a determination you need to make based on your knowledge of your wife. If she is not the type to take training all that seriously, perhaps another gun would be a wiser choice.

Jeaux E

TROMIX Fan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2007
    Little Rock
    Bought a PPS in .40 S&W about 3 months ago.......... Love it. No problems whatsoever.
    Very slim and very light (0.91" and 21 oz.), and the trigger really is great............
    Now my dedicated carry gun............................

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    I really don't know if she will be willing to put that much into training or not. This is a new interest for her. She has been happy I carry, says it makes her feel safer, but up until now has been somewhat afraid of actually shooting my pistols. She actually got pretty into it when shooting yesterday. And, taking her time, she wasn't a bad shot for a beginner. Perhaps most impressive for her, she didn't roll her eyes even once during the safety lecture. I sensed interest in improving, but I guess time will tell.

I was also wondering how you liked the trigger on the PPS. Was it anything near as good as the guns and ammo article indicated? And how did it compare to a glock trigger?

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Maybe a revolver would suit her better? I know you asked about the PPS but reading the rest of the thread, it would seem the most logical and most efficient for her to use/carry. My cousin has recently purchased the ruger LCR and although it does have some recoil, it is manageable and extremely light. I might even pick one up as a bug.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    Everything is on the table at this point, and a revolver may be something to look into. I don't have any experience with revolvers at all, but I have read that the snubbie types take quite a bit of ongoing practice to be at all proficient.

The LCR is the new polymer revolver from Ruger isn't it. I think I saw one at Academy a few months back, but haven't held one.

Also, she said she wanted to stay away from the long relatively heavy triggers like on the PM9. How is the trigger on the LCR?

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Proficiency depends on the user. snub nose revolvers to me are close range. I have shot 2-3 inch groups at 10 yards. I feel as though the snub nose revolver will be most effective 0-7 yds, which would most likely be the most likely time she would need it.

The trigger is slightly heavy but extremely smooth. It really feels like a trigger job from the factory. Only problem with it is the long trigger pull. You have to let go completely to reset.

Weight is super light and the grip is very comfortable. I suggest at least holding one and dry firing one to test the trigger. It will surprise you.

I feel the 38+ spl rd would do more than enough damage at that close of a range that it would be worth looking into.

Overall, for the price, it is definitely a good buy in my book. Only your wife will know what she is comfortable with. I can actually let you and your wife shoot a few with it if you're local. Let me know.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have been trying to shoot PPK's for around 55 years. The PPK is one of the most difficult pistols I have ever shot. My Dad brought a brand -new Nazi PPK home in 1945.

I have often said that I probably could hit a barn with a PPK, if I were standing in the barn, doors closed, when I fired it.

I will admit to having bought a couple and still have one, but that was way before modern pistols.

Unless your wife is extremely unusual, she would do better with the GLOCK 26. You may want to try some aftermarket grip add-ons.

If not, try a S&W "Scandium" 38 +P or a S&W Alumminum Airweight J-frame in the same caliber.

My 5'2" wife has no problem with the GLOCK 19 or 26.

Just my opinion.

leVieux

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I do not think the PPS is the gun for her, I have shot both the 9mm and .40S&W and they are both "snappy", it is definelty an awesome gun built on quality but I believe its design for a more experienced shooter. For somebody who is "learning" the ropes I would probably look into a Service 4" version first and then move her down into a Compact, if you are set into buying once keep in mind its a two sided knife she could totally hate the recoil and never want to shoot again. I would look into an XD9SC just because it gives you the ability of an extension on your mag which could make it more comfortable for her to shoot, or an M&P9C also the Glock26 is a very famous weapon for reliability.

The aproach I used with my ex wife was to start her with a .22 cal semi, once she thought she was a master shooter with it, I moved her up to a .380 then to a 9mm which to me has less felt recoil then the .380 since most frames design to shoot the .380 round are too small which is only good enough to hurt your hands.

Good luck with your search,

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I would look into an XD9SC just because it gives you the ability of an extension on your mag which could make it more comfortable for her to shoot, or an M&P9C also the Glock26 is a very famous weapon for reliability.

The aproach I used with my ex wife was to start her with a .22 cal semi, once she thought she was a master shooter with it, I moved her up to a .380 then to a 9mm which to me has less felt recoil then the .380 since most frames design to shoot the .380 round are too small which is only good enough to hurt your hands.

Good luck with your search,

Plus 1, just skip the .380 phase.

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    I agree with the small revolver suggestion but I think I would try an an all-steel model. It may be heavier to carry but it will absorb the not inconsiderable recoil of +P ammo when shot through an Airweight/Airlite. Although I personally like Airweight Centennials for EDC, a S&W 640 or Ruger SP101 loaded with .38 Special +P would be a much more pleasant shooting experience for a novice than any of the lightweights.

I have no experience with the PPS other than finding the price to be a bit on the high side--same as the SIG 239...they just cost too much. The Glock 26 could work out as the best choice if she was willing to train in using it. The G26 is an excellent little handgun.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Maybe a revolver would suit her better? I know you asked about the PPS but reading the rest of the thread, it would seem the most logical and most efficient for her to use/carry. My cousin has recently purchased the ruger LCR and although it does have some recoil, it is manageable and extremely light. I might even pick one up as a bug.

I got one for my girlfriend at Christmas, and was also pleasantly surprised by the trigger. It's a very sweet revolver, a bit snappier than anything but a Scandium frame, but very much manageable. She went through a 50 round box of range loads, and then 20 +p's to get the feel for the pistol. It was not pleasant to shoot, and I consider that a "light" day at the range, but she was not afraid of it and said aside from shooting lots of volume, it was not too much for her to handle. She really enjoyed my 92FS and didn't much mind the M&P .45, either.

On a side note, hers has the CT grips, notably thinner and stiffer than the factory versions. I have handled the standard grips (never fired) and can say without a doubt they will make a different in terms of felt recoil/snappiness. I may end up with this pistol as a back-up, as my girlfriend has expressed interest in an auto-pistol and knows she has to get some training time in before I'll buy it on her behalf. I hope she hurries up, as I really love the revolver.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    Thanks everybody for the advice. We have talked about it and will try and find a Ruger LCR, a Ruger SP101, and any other small revolver we can find that looks interesting. We will also try and find a PPS. Whichever strikes her fancy and fits her hand best will be the one we try first. And you never know, I might take a fancy to the PPS myself and get one of my very own.

Thanks again.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have seen YouTube video of an 11 year old girl, who when properly trained ran a Glock 26 and then later a Glock 19 well without any issues. Grip size is not the Bug-a-Bear it is made out to be. I would suggest instead of trying to apply a hardware solution to a software problem, you get your wife a gift certificate to a proper pistol class. Not a CCW class but a real Pistolcraft course.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    I found a PPS in a store today. Didn't get to shoot it, but dang, I liked that trigger. It wasn't exactly Glock like, but really nice compared to the pistols in its class I already own. It seems to be about the same size as my Keltec PF9, but vastly superior in workmanship. It was a little bigger on both the length and height dimensions than the Kahr PM9, but not any thicker. Maybe even thinner. It had approximately the same quality workmanship as the Kahr, but maybe just a little short in that regard. The tag said $709.00. With taxes that comes out to about $780. Pretty steep, and the store has a rep for not negotiating on price. I did see at buds gun shop online where even with transfer fees I could save nearly 150 bucks, or get the one with night sights for about 50 bucks less than than I could get the standard sights model locally. I'm going to sleep on it a couple days, but I am seriously considering buying one for myself regardless of whether she likes it or not. If I play my cards carefully, I may be getting two new toys. Buying a new pistol is fun, isn't it. :D

Top Bottom