Wanna make your own gun at home? You don't bring a 3D printer to a gun fight -- yet

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    One guy prints a lower receiver months ago and someone writes an article that just regurgitates everything that was said then. :doh::doh:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    What I joke. ABS+ is not fiber reinforced injection molded polymer. Look at the datasheets for the two.

FDM is an imperfect process, great for light testing and thats it.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    What I joke. ABS+ is not fiber reinforced injection molded polymer. Look at the datasheets for the two.

FDM is an imperfect process, great for light testing and thats it.

This is just the beginning of a technology though. Of course it's not going to be practical yet. 10 years from now though, we might be printing with carbon nanotubes or synthetic diamond. (if you think that's crazy, they are already growing diamonds for circuit boards.) a gun printed with superstrong carbon is a cool idea, but the tech is years away. A gun grown in a tank of methane and hydrogen is years away too, but both are Possible, and would be many times stronger and lighter than our current guns.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Looking forward to printing all of my lower receivers from now on :mamoru:

Still sounds like a pretty sweet idea though. A few more years and it could be for serious.

I just wish there were at-home CNC machines.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    The true progress is going to come when they figure out how to do it with actual metal and alloys. 3-d Printing a one-piece rifle... Yeah, I'd buy one. I'd probably have to save for about 20 years, but I'd buy one. The applications for the mechanical industry (no need for seals) is pretty awesome.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Looking forward to printing all of my lower receivers from now on :mamoru:

Still sounds like a pretty sweet idea though. A few more years and it could be for serious.

I just wish there were at-home CNC machines.

There are. They just cost quite a bit more than more typical home/hobby lathes and mills.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    This is totaly sinceless and a waste of money...Let a kid get a hold on this when it comes availiable and the Gubament will start outlawing printers !!!!!

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone who has handled anything out of one of those printers knows how weak and fragile that stuff is. I would trust it for anything other than what it's designed for, to make molds. I can;t believe someone was dumb enough to try to shoot with it.

This is no different that someone buying a cheap mill and turning out an 80% lower to make it a firearm, except I would trust the 80% lower if I had milled it out.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    The true progress is going to come when they figure out how to do it with actual metal and alloys. 3-d Printing a one-piece rifle... Yeah, I'd buy one. I'd probably have to save for about 20 years, but I'd buy one. The applications for the mechanical industry (no need for seals) is pretty awesome.

You mean like this? They're printing titanium now; just put an entire lower jaw into a woman made of it. Pretty awesome tech.

http://blog.sculpteo.com/2012/02/27/5-mind-blowing-3d-printing-innovations-for-the-future/

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom