want a rifle...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Well, ever since I seen the thread in hot deals about the draco AK 47 pistol, I want a rifle. I just think I will go the rifle route. Of course a folding stock would be nice. First of all, I know nothing about any rifles, so I've been doing a little googlfu and seen that a WASR 10 seems like a good/cheap/reliable starter gun. Any things I should look out far? Again I know nothing, and see there are tonssss of different kinds out there which make it even more confusing. Would it be possible to just buy a folding stock and slap it on there? Are most parts interchangeable? Bad thing is I will have to sell my m&p9 to fund it...will have to just get another handgun later I guess... anyways, any help would be appreciative

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    M&P9 > WASR

At least if it were me. But I definitely understand your desire, and frankly... if you could only own 1 firearm, it should be a rifle without a doubt.

I'm more of an AR person, so my knowledge in regards to your particular flavor of rifle will be somewhat limited. (1 AK vs. 3 ARs.)

The WASR as a firearm isn't the problem; Century as a "builder" certainly can be. Fortunately, their customer service seems to get more good reports than bad, and they'll fix or replace anything with which you have a problem. Not all of their WASR builds are bad, and it seems like they run in cycles. Nonetheless, you will definitely want to inspect the specific firearm before taking it home with you and potentially having to deal with the hassle of repair/replacement.

Check for canted sights. Typically limited to the front, but I've seen pictures of some rears that were cockeyed as well. You can tell with a cursory visual inspection in most cases.

Magazine lockup and/or wobble. Some of these things are picky as to what mags they'll take, often including the need for some material removal-- which occurs "naturally" with polymer mags. Most common is excessive wobble when the mag is seated, in rare cases causing feeding problems.

There's probably others, but these seem to be the most common. As far as changing the stock, it's going to take one of our "closer to expert" guys to answer that. Something about the trunion, conversion kits-- it doesn't apply to all parts, IIRC. As far as furniture, peep sights, gas tubes, internals and pistol grips, provided the parts are for the same model rifle, they are indeed interchangeable and easy to manage. Most people are surprised to find out that there are actually several variations of this platform, and many of them have different dimensions in certain areas. Also keep in mind that you must maintain enough US-made parts in order to comply with 922(r)-- no more than 10 "foreign imports". You must be sure the parts you are changing out aren't screwing with your count.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Thanks for the input. Difference between ar and AK is caliber correct. This gun will just be for fun and in case ever needed for SHTF maybe. Cheaper ammo is a major factor. Will not be competing by any means.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    AK and AR are COMPLETELY different rifle platforms. The AK is a great choice for what you're looking for. Inexpensive to buy, cheap to shoot, easy to learn and rugged as hell. The WASR 10 is a crapshoot, some are are good to go and others have issues. I'd take a WASR over not having an AK any day though.

You can install a Romanian wire folding stock on a WASR with no modifications. Any other folding stocks would require a new rear trunnion and other modifications (not worth the trouble or $$$ on a WASR). There are other bolt-on folding stocks made by brands like Tapco, but you really, really don't want any of that crap. Trust me. ;)

If you really want cheap ammo, an AK-74 is even better. Current price on 5.45x39 ammo in 1080 round tins is around $140. Also has much less recoil than the AK-47 and still packs plenty of punch.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    And I definitely wouldn't sell the M&P if it's your only/primary handgun. IMHO a quality handgun is equally important as a rifle in terms of home defense/SHTF.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As mentioned above DO NOT SELL THE M&P9, if you are looking for something on a budget simply buy a "Saiga" in 5.45, you can always do the conversion down the road once you get a little more cash flow, its a WAY better weapon than the crappy WASR10.

CDNN and Centerfire had some saigas in rifle calibers right now its hard to get the .410 and 12G but thats not what you are looking for so you should be G2g.

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Sounds like you just want to plink..The hi point sounds like a good way to go to have fun and cheap ammo..If you are going to buy an AK,,I would at least look around for a real one,,which are reliable if SHTF...Like norinco,,Bulgarian,,Egyptian, for $500 all day long...,They are selling for less than the crap like wasr....or saiga,,..84 mm receiver,...what a joke..When SHTF I wouldn't want to be holding a wasr lol,,You ever seen a taliban fighter lifting a wasr in the air or a saiga lol,,,,,ellleeeaaaaaaaaallelellelaaa NOT

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Sounds like you just want to plink..The hi point sounds like a good way to go to have fun and cheap ammo..If you are going to buy an AK,,I would at least look around for a real one,,which are reliable if SHTF...Like norinco,,Bulgarian,,Egyptian, for $500 all day long...,They are selling for less than the crap like wasr....or saiga,,..84 mm receiver,...what a joke..When SHTF I wouldn't want to be holding a wasr lol,,You ever seen a taliban fighter lifting a wasr in the air or a saiga lol,,,,,ellleeeaaaaaaaaallelellelaaa NOT

I can't even begin to point out all of the things you are wrong about.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

I can't even begin to point out all of the things you are wrong about.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Seems as the wasr has many good reviews about reliability. Main thing it said to watch for was the front sight, loose magazine, and bent gas tube. The saga doesn't take the high cap mags correct?

harleydave2

Master of nothing....
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    livingston, LA
    I have a WASR 3 and a Romak 3 both are fun to shoot...

u3ajhsjwnldyhbyeuqb.jpg

l9lpj7g27q10o75g0a48.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If you are going to buy an AK,,I would at least look around for a real one,,which are reliable if SHTF...Like norinco,,Bulgarian,,Egyptian,

With the exception of Norincos, the "real" AKs you mention come in as kits. It's not like you're buying a Bulgarian or Egyptian rifle. SOMEBODY in the US has to import and assemble them, and who does that is just as important, if not more important than the country of origin. Century makes plenty of rifles other than WASRs that are equally shitty. I'd take a well-built Romanian rifle over a Century built Bulgarian, Yugo, etc rifle.

for $500 all day long...,They are selling for less than the crap like wasr....or saiga,,.

$500? Where are you finding Bulgarian, Egyptian, etc AKs for $500 all day long that aren't Century builds or hacked together in someone's garage?

.84 mm receiver,...what a joke..

What has a .84mm receiver? The WASR or the Saiga?

You ever seen a taliban fighter lifting a wasr in the air or a saiga lol,,,,,ellleeeaaaaaaaaallelellelaaa NOT

A WASR or Saiga would be leaps and bounds above the crap those guys cobble together.

A well-converted Saiga is one of the best AKs on the market. It's a brand new rifle built in Russia. I think they know a thing or two about making AKs.

Not hatin', but you're giving some bad info. You lost me at calling Saigas crap.

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    :eek3:,,I knew that would get speedy fired up :mad:lol,,,I was going to only say wasr and century junk,,but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to watch some feathers float around ,,,LMAo,:mamoru:

As for you ,,Neil,,Just go to www.ak47world.com/ They can school you on all you need to know on an AK,,,Hope that helps,,,

And to speedy ,,,I shot a saiga with my bulgarian today, it didnt survive :(

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Seems as the wasr has many good reviews about reliability. Main thing it said to watch for was the front sight, loose magazine, and bent gas tube. The saga doesn't take the high cap mags correct?

Bent gas tube-- I knew I was forgetting one of Century's standard faults!

As to the Saiga milsurp mag situation...

There's 2 options to get the mags to work with your Saiga. You can file some of the material from the magazine locking tab (which makes them useless in any AK other than a sporting Saiga), or you can file material from the mag catch on the rifle (which will result in incompatibility with your sporter magazines). For me, the answer would DEFINITELY be to modify the rifle-- less work, "one shot deal" and no real loss, since combloc steel mags are easy to find.

I've never found a clear answer on the bullet guide situation-- probably because I haven't looked that thoroughly, or asked the people who would certainly have the answer. That said, it's mentioned more often than not when the Saiga conversion question is raised to make me believe if it's not 100% necessary, it's certainly recommended. From my limited skimming of the conversion tutorials, this looks like the single most complicated step, AND the one you don't want to screw up. There are several folks selling guides that they've fabricated, and several other suggestions for making one yourself. There's also plenty of gunsmiths out there who'd do the job for you, I'm sure.

I've seen some great conversions, and some "feasible" ones as well. A friend of mine did an AWESOME job on his Saiga, but he's the man around guns (and cars). I've handled a professional (Arsenal) conversion recently as well. When done properly, by someone in whom you have lots of confidence, they're about the best AK you can get these days without spending a fortune. But you better be sure you have ALL of your ducks in a row before undertaking the project, or you'll end up with no rifle at all while you wait to get everything taken care of.

Personally, I don't like the lack of a muzzle device/flash suppressor that's common to almost every non-professional conversion. Your tastes may be different, though.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Why not keep the 9mm and buy a Moison Nagant for now? They're dirt cheap, accurate, and in a better caliber? You can buy a good AK or AR later.

BTW, 9mm carbines are fun and cheaper to feed. If you're just plinking they're great.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom